Options

iPhone software update question

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm, yes you can. iCloud backup automatically backs up your texts and your app data, including layouts and folders.

the guy is either on the wind up and trying to create an argument (ie a troll), or is seriously un-educated about what his iPhone is capable of.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    the guy is either on the wind up and trying to create an argument (ie a troll), or is seriously un-educated about what his iPhone is capable of.

I will post a screenshot of cloud on my pc then. there is no mention of apps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The link posted earlier in this thread tells you what gets backed up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you can post a screenshot of whatever you like, i'm telling you that an icloud backup is the exact same as an itunes backup.
    although why you think a screenshot of your pc would be useful i have no idea. we're talking about iCloud on your iPhone, not on your PC.

it restores your phone exactly the way it was before, txs, photos, apps, contact, mail, EVERYTHING!

i've used it numerous times when either upgrading or having a iphone replaced due to fault.

apps are not included in any backup of the iPhone, the apps are simply re-downloaded from the app store during the restore process (or restored using locally saved versions of the app via itunes). any app data IS included in the backup though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^

Exactly. The only potential issue is that any apps that have been removed from the App Store won't be restored. However, if they're stored locally on the computer, they can be restored from there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can post a screenshot of whatever you like, i'm telling you that an icloud backup is the exact same as an itunes backup.
    although why you think a screenshot of your pc would be useful i have no idea. we're talking about iCloud on your iPhone, not on your PC.

it restores your phone exactly the way it was before, txs, photos, apps, contact, mail, EVERYTHING!

i've used it numerous times when either upgrading or having a iphone replaced due to fault.

apps are not included in any backup of the iPhone, the apps are simply re-downloaded from the app store during the restore process (or restored using locally saved versions of the app via itunes). any app data IS included in the backup though.

How from this, am i supposed to know it backs up apps or texts?
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/icloud.png/

Also, i had it all backed up in itunes. Why should i need another backup? I dont mean the actual apps, i mean the way i have all my screens laid out.

I dont get any of this from my icloud
    Erm, yes you can. iCloud backup automatically backs up your texts and your app data, including layouts and folders.
    or mention of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iCloud DOES back up the way you have your apps laid out.

I don't know quite what that screenshot is. Read the link that was posted earlier in the thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/icloud.png/

that's your PC, and it totally irrelevant to this discussion.
    we're talking about iCloud on your iPhone!!
    Also, i had it all backed up in itunes. Why should i need another backup? I dont mean the actual apps, i mean the way i have all my screens laid out.

because you said your itunes backup failed for some reason.

and yes an itunes backup or icloud backup will restore your phone exactly, and that included the layout of the apps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except you have to pay if you want a backup of over 5GB on iCloud, so it is not the same, hence why my iCloud app had categories unticked such as photos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iCloud DOES back up the way you have your apps laid out.

I don't know quite what that screenshot is. Read the link that was posted earlier in the thread.

It is iCloud on my PC, showing i can not enable apps with layout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes it does.
    i used icloud backup restore many times and it's the exact same backup as you do with itunes, it's just stored in the cloud rather than locally.

it restores your phone complete with photos, texts, contacts everything.

How with only an iPhone and a PC am i supposed to see that all this information is backed up, when clearly it failed for me with only an iPhone and itunes? Especially with only a 5GB limit, so no space for photos. No way to see texts, or contacts. And contacts dont sync with the iCloud app?
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member

If you actually look in the iCloud section of the iPhone settings it pretty much tells you all you need to know.
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/FF29A719-EC63-4465-AE1F-73C20B335ADC-971-000000C7081C6DD4.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just seems like you're being deliberately obtuse now, to be honest. You've been told many times what iCloud backs up and you just refuse to accept it.

EDIT: And yes, you can see your contacts on iCloud.com or through the control panel, if you have them set to sync with iCloud. It's really very simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    If you actually look in the iCloud section of the iPhone settings it pretty much tells you all you need to know.
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/FF29A719-EC63-4465-AE1F-73C20B335ADC-971-000000C7081C6DD4.jpg

That just says camera roll, accounts, document, settings. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just seems like you're being deliberately obtuse now, to be honest. You've been told many times what iCloud backs up and you just refuse to accept it.

EDIT: And yes, you can see your contacts on iCloud.com or through the control panel, if you have them set to sync with iCloud. It's really very simple.

I dont know why you think i'm being obtuse, when what i thought was backed up clearly wasn't from personal experience. Do you think people should just presume their stuff is safe? That is terrible advice.

Clear reasons to be pretty pedantic about these things surely?

I am very peticular about backing up stuff, as everyone should be, so they should be able to see what they have backed up. None of this vague proprietary opaque nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know why you think i'm being obtuse, when what i thought was backed up clearly wasn't from personal experience. Do you think people should just presume their stuff is safe? That is terrible advice.

Clear reasons to be pretty pedantic about these things surely?

I am very peticular about backing up stuff, as everyone should be, so they should be able to see what they have backed up. None of this vague proprietary opaque nonsense.

I honestly don't know what you're on about. The iCloud menus on the phone show you what's backed up.

EDIT: I don't disagree with you about backing up though. I also have my photos uploaded automatically to Dropbox, for example. But my app data, settings, texts, contacts etc get backed up to iCloud. And of course, you can always sync your contacts etc with another service.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    ALL apps are automatically saved on iCloud already, it doesn't need to update the iCloud server every time as all apps linked to your account are just 'there'. Not sure if it uploads a 'location' file of all the apps installed on the phone in case of a full restore from iCloud. I guess it must.

These can be found in the app store -> updates -> purchased

However this is what the iPhone backs up every time.

http://i.imgur.com/gBG6c.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^

Technically that's what it syncs rather than backs up. The backup options are in a different screen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm.. not really as it does back up contacts, photos, documents, notes etc.. and this is the screen you decide wether you want it saved on the iCloud server. It does use this to sync up other devices etc but this is still the menu that decides what it saves/stores, therefore backs up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm.. not really as it does back up contacts, photos, documents, notes etc.. and this is the screen you decide wether you want it saved on the iCloud server. It does use this to sync up other devices etc but this is still the menu that decides what it saves/stores, therefore backs up.

Well yeah, but the things in that menu are synced on the go rather than part of the scheduled backups. So, if you delete or edit a contact on your iPhone, you'll find that the change it makes on the server and therefore your other devices is done almost instantly.

Camera roll, for example, isn't shown there because it isn't synced and available to other devices (though photo stream is). Camera roll is, however, in the backup menu so that it can be restored if necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ALL apps are automatically saved on iCloud already, it doesn't need to update the iCloud server every time as all apps linked to your account are just 'there'. Not sure if it uploads a 'location' file of all the apps installed on the phone in case of a full restore from iCloud. I guess it must.

Only if you enable iCloud.

My wife never touched iCloud settings, and she tried to recover her iPhone5 from the cloud and it didn't even know she existed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ It does warn you when you set up your phone so only the user to blame & there is always the option to backup to iTunes (always make sure you have the latest version of iTunes to ensure a trouble free backup.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if you enable iCloud.

My wife never touched iCloud settings, and she tried to recover her iPhone5 from the cloud and it didn't even know she existed.

Is this a joke?

When you set up the phone, there's an option to enable iCloud or not. Even if you don't do it then, the option is always there in the menu.

So, your wife chose not to use iCloud, then tried to restore her phone using it? Come on.

EDIT: And even if you don't use iCloud, all your apps are still there in the Purchased tab. You just have to redownload them manually.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I haven't had a problem with iCloud backups. But there are always reports whenever there is a software update that some people face difficulties with upgrades. For some OTA upgrades work well and require no computer. Some prefer to do it via iTunes.

Although normally whenever I put my phone on charge the latest app updates and podcasts etc. automatically transfer from computer over WiFi. But every now and again I get iTunes to make a full local backup too. If using iCloud, a full restore of everything for a full iPhone over Internet/WiFi naturally can take quite some time. Hence I like to make local copies too.

You can see what is backed up from Settings>iCloud and app data is listed under Storage & Backup>Manage Storage. As others say the apps themselves don't need backing up as they should already be on Apple's server.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    That just says camera roll, accounts, document, settings. :confused:

Well what the heck do you think all that means then?
    Camera Roll = Photos
    Accounts = Your account info such as purchases etc
    Documents = texts, contacts, notes etc
    Settings = Surely I don't need to explain this do I? :confused:
    It's pretty much self explainitary unless your one of those people that need to be spoonfed information.