What phone next, another lousy Galaxy or something else?

2»

Comments

• Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also to add I wouldn't buy a entry level Nokia Lumia, my sister just got Lumia 520 from a free upgrade, the screen isn't very good at all, but then I'm used to looking at my iphone 5 retina screen.....
  • nightofjoynightofjoy Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Can't afford to spend anything on a handset.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you've got a little while to make your mind up then.
    Forum Member
    I've got until the 30th, but the general opinion seems to be that I should go for the 4S Mini...
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    nightofjoy wrote: »
    I've got until the 30th, but the general opinion seems to be that I should go for the 4S Mini...
    S4 Mini is ok but how much are you paying a month and what tariff are you on currently?
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Also to add I wouldn't buy a entry level Nokia Lumia, my sister just got Lumia 520 from a free upgrade, the screen isn't very good at all, but then I'm used to looking at my iphone 5 retina screen.....

My God, a phone that costs almost 7x as much as the 520 has a better screen. I just can't believe it :D
    Forum Member
    Currently £21 a month for the Galaxy ace on o2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    My God, a phone that costs almost 7x as much as the 520 has a better screen. I just can't believe it :D

No need for the sarcasm mate, he listed the 520 in the list of phones he's been offered, I was merely pointing out that the 520 is a really bad choice compared to the other phones in that list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I guess the other option is to separate out phone and contract - get the cheapest phone you can find that does what you want and then the cheapest contract that has the amount of free usage you need.

May not be right for you but that's what I've just done. Until recently I was using a Galaxy Mini (basically a slightly lower spec version of the Ace) on Tesco Mobile for £10 a month (250 mins, 5,000 texts and 500mb a month).

My contract comes up for renewal at the end of the month and not wanting to be stuck with the same memory and speed limits I have on my current phone when I upgrade I decided to look around.

I bought an off-brand phone from China (THL V9 brand new on ebay which I got for £34 including postage) and now have a 4.3" 960x540 screen phone with 1ghz (only single core but seems quick enough) CPU, 512mb RAM, PowerVR graphics and 4gb Storage (as well as SD slot and Dual-sim though I'm only using 1 sim currently) running Android 4.0.

I currently have around 4x as many apps installed I had on my Galaxy without running low on space (not fitted an SD yet) - the galaxy's limited memory was a real pain - even after uninstalling almost all of my own apps the thing's 180mb of storage meant I couldn't even upgrade all the pre-installed apps without running low (even had to stop android market uprading to google play to stop that eating all my space).

This means when my upgrade comes round instead of having to upgrade my costs to get a phone I'm happy with (which would have been the S3 Mini for £20 a month) I can just go for the cheapest phone upgrade that gives me enough data and minutes (currently either the HTC Desire C or Sony Tipo) for £7.50 a month and just leave the thing unused in it's box as a spare.

This will save me enough on the contract to have paid for the ebay phone in the first 3 months and after that I'm in profit (and still have an unused boxed upgrade phone I could sell to save even more).
    Forum Member
    Currently £21 a month for the Galaxy ace on o2
    That's quite a lot of money to pay for such a low grade phone but then O2 does have pretty uncompetitive rates. How many minutes and what's your data allowance?

So O2 can offer you the same contract but with an S4 Mini?
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey £21/month.

I saw this deal on the new LG G2 for £22/month.

Only problem is the 500mb/month data but some people can get by on that.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-g2-300-min-unlimited-texts-500-mb-data-22-per-month-plus-9-99-initial-payment-1666730?aui=298
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say you text a lot, I would go and play with real handsets in store and see how you find the on screen keyboard . Can you get any decent deals on say an iPhone 4S ? When I had the Samsung galaxy s2 the one thing I could not get to grips with was the qwerty keyboard , I had to use T9. The iPhones on screen keyboard I find much better to use, plus if you have some friends with iPhones you can use iMessage .
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    You say you text a lot, I would go and play with real handsets in store and see how you find the on screen keyboard . Can you get any decent deals on say an iPhone 4S ? When I had the Samsung galaxy s2 the one thing I could not get to grips with was the qwerty keyboard , I had to use T9. The iPhones on screen keyboard I find much better to use, plus if you have some friends with iPhones you can use iMessage .

I don't want to turn this into an Android/iPhone argument, but the one great advantage Android has over the iPhone is there are so many inotive keyboard out there for Android (such as Skype, Slide-It and SwiftKey) and are stuck with the same keyboard on the iPhone. Also with a larger screen the keys are not too close together.

Also all my friends with iPhones don't use iMessage anymore as they are all on WhatsApp.
    Forum Member
    Data allowance 500mb, unlimited texts, no idea how many minutes I get, but seriously, I could get away with 30 a month. I don't often make calls... :)
    Forum Member
    Anyone know anything about this company or how easy it would be to switch? This is looking pretty good to me, Or they do the Galaxy 4S with £140 odd squid cashback.....

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=81289535
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know anything about this company or how easy it would be to switch? This is looking pretty good to me, Or they do the Galaxy 4S with £140 odd squid cashback.....

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/yourdeal/?_cid=81289535

USwitch is a well recognised switching recommendation engine. Mobiles.co.uk are also legit. They're part of the Carphone Warehouse group.

The issue with cashback is whether you are sufficiently well organised to follow the instructions you need to do to get your cashback. You have to send off certain bits of info periodically during the contract at the correct time in order to get all the cashback.
    Forum Member
    USwitch is a well recognised switching recommendation engine. Mobiles.co.uk are also legit. They're part of the Carphone Warehouse group.

The issue with cashback is whether you are sufficiently well organised to follow the instructions you need to do to get your cashback. You have to send off certain bits of info periodically during the contract at the correct time in order to get all the cashback.

Balls to that then. I couldn't organize a cat.
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    How exactly did getting a smaller size make your typing easier? Also, there are so many keyboards (free and paid) which you can switch to whilst on Android.
    Also, what's so good about iMessage over Whatsapp? The former is restricted to Apple users only so it'll reduce the number of friends you can communicate with on one single app.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    Have you thought about changing networks?
    Tesco have the Galaxy S3 for £18 on 3 with unlimited data, 300 minutes and 5000 texts.
    They also have the S4 on O2 for £22 but as you pay £21 and being offered this as an upgrade I doubt this of use to you.
    Forum Member
    Simi89 wrote: »
    Have you thought about changing networks?
    Tesco have the Galaxy S3 for £18 on 3 with unlimited data, 300 minutes and 5000 texts.
    They also have the S4 on O2 for £22 but as you pay £21 and being offered this as an upgrade I doubt this of use to you.

I actually don't mind the idea of changing network if need be, but I have a personal issue with getting into any kind of contract with Tesco... lol