"Lost" Recordings

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
Forum Member
I have recently had two occasions where having recorded a program (and it's appeared on the media list) has then become "lost". I can eventually find the program in another program folder (showing 2 programs). Open that and there it is!! What on earth is happening? Has anyone else had this happen?
I've had my box now for several months and have "coped" with some of it's problems but I am now getting frustrated to the point that I am considering abandoning it and going back to my 9200. I will leave the box on standby so in the event that Humax finally give us an update it will get downloaded.
If only Humax hadn't been in such a hurry to bring the PVR on the market (or maybe it was deliberate) we would have a bug-free box!

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    old6x wrote: »
    I have recently had two occasions where having recorded a program (and it's appeared on the media list) has then become "lost". I can eventually find the program in another program folder (showing 2 programs). Open that and there it is!! What on earth is happening? Has anyone else had this happen?
    I've had my box now for several months and have "coped" with some of it's problems but I am now getting frustrated to the point that I am considering abandoning it and going back to my 9200. I will leave the box on standby so in the event that Humax finally give us an update it will get downloaded.
    If only Humax hadn't been in such a hurry to bring the PVR on the market (or maybe it was deliberate) we would have a bug-free box!

Wierd, series recorded programmes go into their own folder and single instance into the root folder of the hdd. Are you saying a single instance recording mysteriously moved itself into a series generated folder after having recorded to the root ?. Never heard of this happening apart from deliberately moving a file in file manager.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    That's correct. It is strange because it's title doesnt show on the folder but it's there when you open the folder. This has only recently happened and if I get it again I'll probably try the "magical cure" of a factory reset to see if it helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's correct. It is strange because it's title doesnt show on the folder but it's there when you open the folder. This has only recently happened and if I get it again I'll probably try the "magical cure" of a factory reset to see if it helps.

Creepy :cool:, you haven't any tech savvy practical jokers in the family have you :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noted with some series links for movies e.g. Carry On ones that all the items end up in a folder named after the first items title.

So a folder called "Carry On Doctor" can have "Carry On Loving" in it.

Automan.
  • richard_g_ukrichard_g_uk Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Automan wrote: »
    I have noted with some series links for movies e.g. Carry On ones that all the items end up in a folder named after the first items title.

So a folder called "Carry On Doctor" can have "Carry On Loving" in it.

Automan.

Yes it stores the recordings in a folder named after the programme that you select to apply the series link to.

To elaborate. If you have a series that is on every day Monday to Friday but has different titles everyday (lets say "Title 1" to "Title 5) then whichever day you pick to set up the series link, all the recordings will go in a folder named after the one which was used to setup the series link.

So if you setup the series link by selecting the Wednesday programme (and it was called "Title 3") then it would record the whole weeks programmes Monday to Friday (assuming you set the series to record before Mondays programme was shown) and place them all in a folder called "Title 3".

Ideally it would be alot better if the folder name it creates was user configurable and/or have it not create a folder at all and store them like a one-off recording does.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it stores the recordings in a folder named after the programme that you select to apply the series link to.

You may be right about this but I think there is something that is not outwardly apparent going on here.
    When the current series of Gardeners World started the first one had a working title something like "Gardening On A Design" and there were 4 episodes that had different titles but they were all placed in the original folder. Then when the normal GW programmes aired they too landed in this folder. It was at this point I decided to delete the series link and delete the original folder and then reinstate the series link for GW from the epg. Lo and behold the next time I checked the media list the original folder had been recreated with my new GW recording inside. So it appears that when you set a series link the folder is not named after the EPG title but by the data within the Series CRID.
    I'm curious to see were this weeks GW folder appears after last weeks failure to record maybe last week the CRID data was ammended to remove the old title and series linkers missed the recording while one off recorders had success
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creepy :cool:, you haven't any tech savvy practical jokers in the family have you :D
    That was my first thought, too :D:D:D

I can think of a more sinister explanation. A corruption of the disk filesystem. Rather like when the FAT on Windows gets corrupted, you can get folders/files with all sorts of strange/duplicate names.

If it was this, it would get steadily worse, and would need a reformat to cure it. This would be the first HDR I have heard of that suffered from filesystem corruption (it is relatively common on the 9200).

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all your thoughts on this. And no, I haven't got a practical joker in the family, just me and my wife (who doesn't like the "complexity" of the Foxsat) So when these problems occur it plays into her hands ("wish we could go back to the 9200!") I can assure you that in no way would she even try to compicate things further!
    Anyway I've decided to make note of all my scheduled recording and then do a factory reset. (and keep my fingers crossed).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all your thoughts on this. And no, I haven't got a practical joker in the family, just me and my wife (who doesn't like the "complexity" of the Foxsat) So when these problems occur it plays into her hands ("wish we could go back to the 9200!") I can assure you that in no way would she even try to compicate things further!
    Anyway I've decided to make note of all my scheduled recording and then do a factory reset. (and keep my fingers crossed).
    old6x, I hope the factory reset cures this for you.

However, if it is, heaven forbid, filesystem corruption, the reset will not cure this, only a format will do it. If you don't have any saved recordings, it might be worth doing at the same time as your reset, as a "belt & braces" - your choice.

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    savvy wrote: »
    old6x, I hope the factory reset cures this for you.

However, if it is, heaven forbid, filesystem corruption, the reset will not cure this, only a format will do it. If you don't have any saved recordings, it might be worth doing at the same time as your reset, as a "belt & braces" - your choice.

Rgds.

Les.

Just had a thought Les, I wonder if the OP has still got V 1.00.01 firmware and has deleted while recording. Could this be reason deleting while recording was so quickly removed ?.

Graham
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a thought Les, I wonder if the OP has still got V 1.00.01 firmware and has deleted while recording. Could this be reason deleting while recording was so quickly removed ?.

Graham
    Now there's a thought. Yes, if deleting whilst recording was not handled properly, internally, it could cause filesystem corruption.

@old6x, what firmware version do you have? Do you have a single cable installation, or two cables?

Rgds.

Les.
  • GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Graham

just done a search on Old6x previous posts and he reported receiving a replacement box on 08/04/2009 was this before or after 1.00.03 were being shipped out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just done a search on Old6x previous posts and he reported receiving a replacement box on 08/04/2009 was this before or after 1.00.03 were being shipped out?
    Another poster reported that a box exchanged on 14/03/2009 had "1.00.03 installed. Dated 6 March 2009".

Depends if old6x's exchange was brand new stock, of course.

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    Sorry for not replying. Been ofline. Tried a factory reset but made no difference, so looks like a disk format (when wife finishes watching all her soaps( and eggheads!)

The replacement box was brand new and the firmware is 03.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for not replying. Been ofline. Tried a factory reset but made no difference, so looks like a disk format (when wife finishes watching all her soaps( and eggheads!)

The replacement box was brand new and the firmware is 03.
    And don't forget, if you do go down the reformat route, that you can gain more space for your recordings, if you don't use the photo/mp3 storage facility, by moving the slider on the format screen.

Rgds.

Les.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that Les. I had intended doing that if I ever had to reformat anyway so this could at least be considered some sort of bonus!!
    I should have replied earlier on a previous question. Yes I am using a two cable connection.

Gordon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Les. I had intended doing that if I ever had to reformat anyway so this could at least be considered some sort of bonus!!
    I should have replied earlier on a previous question. Yes I am using a two cable connection.

Gordon
    Gordon,

Good luck.

The two cable question was only to establish if you happened to be on 1.00.01, why your box might not have updated.

Rgds.

Les.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Hi All,

Some will know that I had replacement HDR box delivered this last Wednesday direct from Humax (well fairly direct)

Two things

I noticed the above discussion on firmware versions - my original box had 1.00.02. The one delivered this week appears to be the same???? Looking at your comments should it not be 1.00.03. The box looks new and even had the plastic coating on the inside display area. Why would Humax send me an out of date version?:confused:

secondly and even more worrying

After I saw the above discussion I obviously switched on the HDR to check which version it was. Came on fine on BBC1 which it had been on at switch off last night. I pressed MENU and system and diagnostic - and the box immediately FROZE and would take any remote input (even OFF). I had to switch off at the back and do the usual switch on after 30 secs or so. The next time I was able to determine that the version was 1.00.02
    :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunwerkin wrote: »
    Hi All,

Some will know that I had replacement HDR box delivered this last Wednesday direct from Humax (well fairly direct)

Two things

I noticed the above discussion on firmware versions - my original box had 1.00.02. The one delivered this week appears to be the same???? Looking at your comments should it not be 1.00.03. The box looks new and even had the plastic coating on the inside display area. Why would Humax send me an out of date version?:confused:

secondly and even more worrying

After I saw the above discussion I obviously switched on the HDR to check which version it was. Came on fine on BBC1 which it had been on at switch off last night. I pressed MENU and system and diagnostic - and the box immediately FROZE and would take any remote input (even OFF). I had to switch off at the back and do the usual switch on after 30 secs or so. The next time I was able to determine that the version was 1.00.02
    :cry:
    Re the "newness" of the box - If you send it back in to the manufacturer under warranty, instead of replacement by the retailer, they are allowed to send you back a box that has been returned to them and found to "have no fault". This is why I advised you in your other thread to take it back to Comet for a replacement. Some customers would not even know about both plastic films, so not remove them.

Or, it could be that it is a brand new box, but has been sitting on Humax's warehouse shelves for a while before new boxes had 1.00.03 put on them.

Re the second problem, the freeze. I don't know, a few people do seem to have boxes that freeze, the majority don't. Could be it was a rogue box, that the fault didn't manifest itself when Humax tested it, on its return. It could be environmental, something to do with your installation, LNBs/Cables loose or shorting. But I can't give you a definitive answer to it. It shouldn't lock-up.

Rgds.

Les.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Hi Les,

Yeah I would have taken your advice about return to COMET, but that was complicated by it coming from COMET direct online. Plus I had already arranged for replacement when I saw your message.

You could be right about the box being a return - as I can't detect a plastic film on the outside of the panel.

I will message Humax support again, for their explanation:(.

Thanks

Dave
    Forum Member
    Interesting. When I had problems with my first box having been told by Humax that it was probably faulty they suggested that I contact my retailer first (Homebase) and go back to them if I had no joy.

I didn't have to back to them. Homebase checked their stock (OK) and delivered the following morning and took the faulty one away.