Options

Is BBC drama Sky TV's best friend ?

Comments

• Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Can we please stop talking about Sky Atlantic as if it's the best thing since sliced bread? At best it's on a par with FX.

Viewers are preferring it to FX. Atlantic is well outrating FX and it's in over three million less homes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Apparently around a third of the UK viewing public would welcome exactly that option.

The surveys are out of date by years. The amount Sky or Virgin charges has gone up yet they have added more customers.
  • Options
    joebloggs90joebloggs90 Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    msim wrote: »
    Nothing to do with digital switchover.

This has probably been a big factor in Sky numbers rising, but then so can the alternatives (Virgin, FV, FS, etc) make the same claim! ;)
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member

Do you ever get the feeling that these people might change their mind when presented with alternatives?

Interested to see the percentage of those supportive of the license fee had gone UP in the later poll - perhaps as people begin to get some education, to counterbalance Mail and Murdoch anti-BBC propaganda.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I'll watch The Shadow Line (tonight) and the recent Exile and let you know if they match The Accused, The Crimson Petal and the White, Fantabulosa and Torchwood Children of Earth. Maybe BBC drama is not crap.

ha was waiting for u to bite.. Thing is you'd say a turd is a masterpiece if it had anything to do with the bbc!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nh3com wrote: »
    ha was waiting for u to bite.. Thing is you'd say a turd is a masterpiece if it had anything to do with the bbc!

And have Sky CREATED anything like the amount - and quality - of British drama that the BBC has? (despite having more money and costing more to watch).

Come on, he has a point, and this is coming from someone who works for Sky!
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Do you ever get the feeling that these people might change their mind when presented with alternatives?

Interested to see the percentage of those supportive of the license fee had gone UP in the later poll - perhaps as people begin to get some education, to counterbalance Mail and Murdoch anti-BBC propaganda.

The second poll didn't have advertising as a means of paying for the BBC as one of its choices, it was either license fee or subscription. 37% chose the former, 41% said the latter.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ha was waiting for u to bite..
    Pardon? Do you have a point to make that is at all relevant to the thread?
    Thing is you'd say a turd is a masterpiece if it had anything to do with the bbc!
    That is just nonsense.

Maybe you should watch those dramas rather than just trolling for a reaction. That way you could sensibly add to the discussion rather than appearing to be on a wind-up mission (and adding a big fat zero to the thread into the bargain).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The second poll didn't have advertising as a means of paying for the BBC as one of its choices, it was either license fee or subscription. 37% chose the former, 41% said the latter.

Do you think they'd think the same if they actually new that funding it by commercial means would lead to more commercial programmes?

After all, some already said the BBC was too close the commercial broadcasters!
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    onecitizen wrote: »
    But if BBC drama had wider appeal for an adult audience and was more inspiring and less dreary then fewer people would feel the need to pay subscriptions to Sky etc.
    That is self evident.

i think your first mistake there is thinking that people subscribe to Sky as an alternative, rather than addition, to the BBC / ITV etc.

if the BBC has such narrow appeal, and Sky Atlantic has mass appeal, it is a bit of a mystery why the BBC typically has significantly larger audiences.

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And have Sky CREATED anything like the amount - and quality - of British drama that the BBC has? (despite having more money and costing more to watch).

Come on, he has a point, and this is coming from someone who works for Sky!

more money? how do u work that out then?

budgets for sky1 and sky atlantic V's bbc1 and bbc2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10m households, paying an average of £360 a year....?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iain wrote: »

Iain

25million house holds paying £140 a year
  • Options
    Forum Member

budgets for sky1 and sky atlantic V's bbc1 and bbc2

Oh come on! Sky have more money than the BBC, everyone knows that.

And the key question again (which this WHOLE THREAD is base on) :
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh come on! Sky have more money than the BBC, everyone knows that.

And the key question again (which this WHOLE THREAD is base on) :

yes they might have but what has that got to do with drama? do the bbc show PL football? nope why not? becasue it costs £1.5 billion a year to the money grabbing PL!!!!!

so like i say whats the budgets of those two channels and then lets compare
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    I recently read that Sky TV has seen a sharp increase in subscriptions in recent years.
    I wonder if this is down to the dreary state of BBC drama, which is pretty depressing.
    In the meantime Sky have launched Sky Atlantic which showcases some of the best of HBO which seems to be leaving the BBC in the slow lane.
    There is a sense of negativity which runs throughout the BBC like a disease.
    Lets be honest, a great deal of the current BBC output is uninspiring at best.
    If the BBC made a wider range of drama programmes which appealed to more of the British public, then more people wouldn't feel obliged to pay for subscripion TV.
    In many respects the BBC is failing the public it is meant to serve.

Couldn't agree more, Sky are really beginning to come into their own with their own home grown drama. I understand they now have now have their own drama/film unit, Sky Pictures? The final episode of the Runaway last night, rounded off an exceptional series; a brilliantly realised period piece and amazing performances all round, Alan Cumming at his finest hour!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

is less than 10m households paying £360 a year. (and i was being generous, it was actually £468 per year in 2009.)

in which case, what was your point again?

Iain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes they might have but what has that got to do with drama? do the bbc show PL football? nope why not? becasue it costs £1.5 billion a year to the money grabbing PL!!!!!

so like i say whats the budgets of those two channels and then lets compare

even after you take off that £1.5bn, that still leaves Sky with a healthy sounding £3bn a year....

Iain
  • Options
    Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    iain wrote: »
    BSkyB Results for the nine months ended 31 March 2011
    .... as customers continue to respond to the quality and value of our wider product range, ARPU increased 8% to £544 per annum.
    Group revenue increased by 14% to £4,833 million (2010: £4,232 million).
    BBC Full Financial and Governance Statements 2009/10
    Year ending 31st March 2010 - Page F10

Licence Fee income = £3,446.8 million

[The BBC accounts are a year older than the BSkyB ones, but the Licence Fee has been frozen, whilst BSkyB group revenue will probably increase]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    BSkyB Results for the nine months ended 31 March 2011

BBC Full Financial and Governance Statements 2009/10

[The BBC accounts are a year older than the BSkyB ones, but the Licence Fee has been frozen, whilst BSkyB group revenue will probably increase]

Argument killer!:)
  • Options
    PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Viewers are preferring it to FX. Atlantic is well outrating FX and it's in over three million less homes.

Don't know where you are getting your figures. In March and April Atlantic averaged 13,140 viewers live and 28,215 consolidated. FX in the same period averaged 24,363 live and 34,309 consolidated. Yes somen individual shows will average higher than an individual show on FX as they have a huge budget in comparisson, but overall FX is performing better.
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky is always going to be a minority channel - look at these recent viewing figures for its most widely available channels. (W/E 24/04/11)

Sky 1 (Sky homes + VM + BT)

1 SPARTACUS: GODS OF THE ARENA (MON 2211) 1.023m
    2 HAWAII FIVE-0/#KE KINOHI ( THE BEGINNING (SUN 2102 847k
    3 MARTINA COLES THE RUNAWAY (THU 2059) 811k
    4 HOUSE/#THE DIG (THU 2201) 659k
    5 A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN S1 (FRI 2130) 626k

Pick TV (All digital homes)

1 NIGHT COPS 2 (TUE 2200) 327k
    2 CUSTOMS UK S1 (FRI 2131) 294k
    3 ROAD WARS S6 (WED 2301) 288k
    4 ROAD WARS S6 (FRI 2202) 285k
    5 ROAD WARS S6 (WED 2201) 278k

BBC/ITV dramas/soaps/quizzes/news etc regularly rate 4-8 million viewers, and score 40% audience share for a very good reason. Even in Sky homes BBC/ITV beat Sky hands down.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    I'd say it's more down to the amount of sport's rights Sky has than anything else.
    Exactly, if Sky lost most of their Sports Rights, especially football, the current subscription model would collapse, taking channels like Sky Atlantic, Sky 1 etc... down with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Sky is always going to be a minority channel - look at these recent viewing figures for its most widely available channels. (W/E 24/04/11)

Sky 1 (Sky homes + VM + BT)

1 SPARTACUS: GODS OF THE ARENA (MON 2211) 1.023m
    2 HAWAII FIVE-0/#KE KINOHI ( THE BEGINNING (SUN 2102 847k
    3 MARTINA COLES THE RUNAWAY (THU 2059) 811k
    4 HOUSE/#THE DIG (THU 2201) 659k
    5 A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN S1 (FRI 2130) 626k

Pick TV (All digital homes)

1 NIGHT COPS 2 (TUE 2200) 327k
    2 CUSTOMS UK S1 (FRI 2131) 294k
    3 ROAD WARS S6 (WED 2301) 288k
    4 ROAD WARS S6 (FRI 2202) 285k
    5 ROAD WARS S6 (WED 2201) 278k

BBC/ITV dramas/soaps/quizzes/news etc regularly rate 4-8 million viewers, and score 40% audience share for a very good reason.

I'm amazed that the diabolical Pick TV even gets ratings as high as this! I'm not convinced that the BBC and ITV have as big an audience share as the viewing figures would make us believe, I don't trust BARB's method of obtaining viewing figures.

Since becoming a Sky subscriber I barely ever watch anything on BBC, ITV, C4 or C5. I'm not interested in the crappy home grown soaps, sitcoms, talk shows and second rate drama serials that are mostly put out on them. I want to be properly entertained and stimulated and this means the fantastic range of documentaries, up to date movies, superior US imports and the increasing number of quality home grown shows available on Sky. Subscribing isn't cheap but weighed up against the alternative it is definitely worth it.
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    Johnyad wrote: »
    I'm amazed that the diabolical Pick TV even gets ratings as high as this! I'm not convinced that the BBC and ITV have as big an audience share as the viewing figures would make us believe, I don't trust BARB's method of obtaining viewing figures.

Since becoming a Sky subscriber I barely ever watch anything on BBC, ITV, C4 or C5. I'm not interested in the crappy home grown soaps, sitcoms, talk shows and second rate drama serials that are mostly put out on them. I want to be properly entertained and stimulated and this means the fantastic range of documentaries, up to date movies, superior US imports and the increasing number of quality home grown shows available on Sky. Subscribing isn't cheap but weighed up against the alternative it is definitely worth it.

It is a real shame that the BBC is failing to provide you and many others with the level and range of TV programmes you can get from Sky.
    The BBC can no longer compete with Sky for sport and up to date movies, but it is a real disgrace that the drama output is so dreary that it fails to grab the attention of so many people.
    Not everyone wants or can afford to subscribe elsewhere.
    As I said there is a thread of negativity which runs through the BBC which makes watching and listening to much of its output a miserable experience.