Options

HP Pavilion DV6-Laptop not turning on

Hi, over the last few weeks, at first, my laptop didn't always boot up, it did, then the screen didn't come on at times, so would have to reboot, which worked. Now, it won't boot up at all. When I press the power button the laptop tries, the fan whirrs, then turns off. Nothing. Ive tried various battery/cable in/out variations but no such luck.

Help! (please, all you great people) is it an expensive problem?

Ian.

Comments

• Options
    stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be memory stick has failed. Open it up and see if it has 2 memory sticks. If so remove the one in socket 2 and try a reboot holding down the power button for 4 seconds. If no joy try the other memory stick in socket 1 and repeat.
    If it works with 1 memory stick the other is knackered.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could also be the hard disk has failed or the graphics chip, the latter being an issue on practically all the HP DV series. Is it still under warranty? If so take it back to where you bought it.

If it's out of warranty and the HD is the culprit, it's a 5 min job to replace via the removable panel on the underside but then you need to reload the OS from the recovery disks I assume you made when you first got the laptop? If you didn't make the recovery disks then you'll need to purchase one from HP directly or buy a new copy of Win 7 and install that. If it's the RAM then again it's a 5 min job to replace it via the removable panel on the underside of the machine.

If it's the graphics chip then you'd be looking a new or secondhand motherboard - Ebay usually being the cheapest place to find them. Alternatively, you could take it to a High Street repair Centre (not Dixons/Currys) that does GPU reballing or reflowing but that costs almost as much as a secondhand motherboard.

Costs approx (for DIY):

New 500GB HD - about £58 delivered (Aria Technology)
    New Win 7 Home Premium £75 delivered (Aria Technology)
    New RAM 1 x 2GB Stick £27 delivered or 1 x 4GB stick £72 delivered (2 x 2GB sticks £52 delivered) Crucial.com
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Try this link

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/hp-direct-f40.html

You might get away with having the GPU reballed (just Google or Ebay), tried it with mine but ended up having a new motherboard fitted. It costs but cheaper than a new laptop.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said memory might have failed. Simply removing one stick can usually confirm this.

It is the same for the hard drive. Remove the drive and if 'no hard disk found' comes up then that is likely too.
    The laptop could be tested via booting off a USB stick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many thanks everyone for your help, I'll try a few things and hopefully get back to computing again.

Cheers :)
    Ian.