Masterchef the Professionals 2012 Series 5

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    I am going to eat my vacuum packed bacon chips aka McCoys!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a look, the tasting menu is £195 per person. A bargain. I don't know how they keep the restaurant going. No wonder Heston has two jobs. :D
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of hestons chefs who were killed in an accident in Asia recently
    How tragic... RIP. I wonder if either of them were involved in tonight's programme. :cry:
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anton still the clear favourite imo, with Keri now ahead of Oli.

I think with a restaurant like TFD it's probably something that has to be experienced before it can really be determined if it is pretentious or not.

I actually met Anton this afternoon!
    What an absolute gent & a lovely guy - his place is few minutes from where im doing some work this week & now I live in west country will def be going for lunch there!
    I made him NOT tell me who won & didn't go in today in case I saw clues or someone said anything & ruin the suspense....
    But did tell him how wowed we were at all of them & wished him well. .
    Did make him laugh though as told him Emma Kennedy tweeted me to my question as to if food is cold by time 3rd dish served? Was it fair?
    well no one disadvantaged as they are all cold! It takes 30 minutes to film each dish served up so told Anton not so jealous of MRjr & Greg eating stone cold dishes now!
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol @ "Specially invited guests" Something told me they wouldn't let them dish up to the paying customer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic stuff. Just fantastic. :( at the FD cooks who were killed.
  • vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up - looking forward to the final episode in real time :) A surreal episode!
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what was the candlestick thing? It looked really good with the melting ''wax''
    I'm guessing it was a prototype dessert. The head bloke broke the top off and it looked like there was chocolate sponge or mousse inside. I'm guessing the outside was white chocolate.

The 'trick' in this case I suspect is they put the candles out before the meal and when it comes to dessert the waiter says 'Actually, it's been in front of you all the time!'

Before ordering you to eat it in a very particular way, or be physically thrown out of the restaurant.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    lol @ "Specially invited guests" Something told me they wouldn't let them dish up to the paying customer.
    TBF they do that every year. Last time with Ashe and the kids when they went to El Bulli (IIRC) they had 'invited guests' then too.

Jon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    TBF they do that every year. Last time with Ashe and the kids when they went to El Bulli (IIRC) they had 'invited guests' then too.

Jon

Well it does make sense, lmao. I'd be very pissed off if I'd been there and there were bloody tv cameras in for a start :D

I did get a little emotional, lol. It made me realise for all Heston's omnipresence it's very rare you actually see the inside of the restaurant. If ever? :confused:

I saw the table we sat at. Happy times indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...oh and props for some of the reverse snobbery displayed here. I did expect it :D
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quizzimodo wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks this Fat Duck stuff is pretentious bollocks?

Pretentious bollocks is one of the courses on their tasting menu. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poshnosh wrote: »

.....:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    quizzimodo wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks this Fat Duck stuff is pretentious bollocks?

Some of the dishes are too gimmicky for my liking, specially the whole earphones thing, I think it´s bullish.

It´d be a nice experience to go and eat there just for the experience, trying things new, but that´s about it. Once the novelty factor is gone, we´d be dying to get back to real food. On the other hand I would not mind eating everyday in other three or two michelin starred restaurants that are not that gimmicky, but not in the Fat Duck.

It is not gastronomy itself, it is a delicate balance between gastronomy, art, science and pretentious bollocks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    poshnosh wrote: »

However, they aren't REAL Pretentious Bollocks, they're Pretend Pretentious Bollocks (known as PPB on the menu) and made from quinelles of rabbit liver parfait frozen in liquid nitrogen and served on a field of ploughed edible celeriac and thyme soil with vacuum-assisted soused wild flowers and 20 year old onion-water pearls.

Plus an aerosol squirt of the essence of freshly ploughed field and tractor exhaust fumes......

Enjoy your meal in a field......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Nephelim wrote: »
    However, they aren't REAL Pretentious Bollocks, they're Pretend Pretentious Bollocks (known as PPB on the menu) and made from quinelles of rabbit liver parfait frozen in liquid nitrogen and served on a field of ploughed edible celeriac and thyme soil with vacuum-assisted soused wild flowers and 20 year old onion-water pearls.

Plus an aerosol squirt of the essence of freshly ploughed field and tractor exhaust fumes......

:D:D:D:D:D

You may be on to something there, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dission wrote: »
    Some of the dishes are too gimmicky for my liking, specially the whole earphones thing, I think it´s bullish.

It´d be a nice experience to go and eat there just for the experience, trying things new, but that´s about it. Once the novelty factor is gone, we´d be dying to get back to real food. On the other hand I would not mind eating everyday in other three or two michelin starred restaurants that are not that gimmicky, but not in the Fat Duck.

It is not gastronomy itself, it is a delicate balance between gastronomy, art, science and pretentious bollocks.

It is a once in a lifetime thing for most people.

The chances of managing to book a table twice must be very slim indeed.

It's food as entertainment. We had a fairly silly grin on our faces for the whole four hours.
  • marinamaumarinamau Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »

Jon

They went to can roca, I believe, which is in Gerona, Spain too.
    I think of places like el bulli and the fat duck as the equivalent of art performances, not that enjoyable as good honest art but an experience that is interesting.
    Never been to either of them, but it looks to me that Heston is pretty much doing what el bulli started over twenty years ago. But since el bulli is no more, I guess there is a need for more!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pavster wrote: »
    It is a once in a lifetime thing for most people.

The chances of managing to book a table twice must be very slim indeed.

It's food as entertainment. We had a fairly silly grin on our faces for the whole four hours.

It's interesting that isn't it? I've had no huge desire to go back since eating there.

Until tonight! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Know what you mean. I decided I wanted to revisit because some of the dishes were very slightly different - sandwiches on the Mad Hatter's Tea Party for example.
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not really sold on the Fat Duck either. The food seems interesting if a bit faffy, it's just the middle class twonks who sit there gurning and squeeing that grate on me when the waiter tells them to stuff things in their mouth while spraying on them? that would annoy me. I don't like having my glass filled even!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I wonder if they clean those earbuds between the meals. If Keri does not win she can work on teleshopping as an audience extra making surprised faces :D

With their prices they can probably afford to throw them away and use new ones each time.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mingymoo wrote: »
    I am going to eat my vacuum packed bacon chips aka McCoys!

I liked the scene in Heston's Channel 4 series on Tuesday where he and three of his chefs were tasting packets of crisps and marking them. Hula Hoops came out way in front of the others.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought all three finalists did amazingly well last night:D

heston is definitely in a league of his own, however it's not for me, i've just seen an excerpt on youtube, whale vomit???:eek::eek:

no thank you!:o:eek::eek:
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nephelim wrote: »

And posts like that are why I love this thread!