"They come over here, taking our jobs"

Comments

• 36_Chambers36_Chambers Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We would be crippled without them coming over.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    riceuten wrote: »
    Loads - it would be hard outside of Burma or North Korea to find a country where this DIDN'T happen.

It is typically British - but also typically German, Dutch, Spanish etc etc.
    I've heard the same thing in both Germany and Holland, in Germany it was aimed mostly at the Greeks and Turks, in Holland it was more the Indonesians that annoyed them.

But it's always the same in a recession, blame and rant about another group of people who aren't us.

The West Indians were actively recruited by, of all people Enoch Powell, when he was minister of health, he wanted to recruit them to come to the UK to staff the NHS .
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Don't you think it's strange that so many immigrants start their own businesses once they are domiciled in the UK, that you never hear he cry - ''they come over here setting up businesses''

Ethic minorities are responsible for approx 10% of all business start ups.In London the figure is 19%.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    I've heard the same thing in both Germany and Holland, in Germany it was aimed mostly at the Greeks and Turks, in Holland it was more the Indonesians that annoyed them.

Germans typically have a passionate dislike and mistrust of their Turkish immigrants. Why else would Germany be so fervently in favour of blocking Turkey's possible entry to the EU?

The Dutch aren't so keen on them either.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Well, inasmuch as one can influence private companies to do this. The problems in the past have been that there really was a shortage of labour. It still didn't stop British people whinging about immigrant invasions at the time, even though there was a crying need for it.

You have to, in part, blame private companies for being unwilling to invest in the UK's future and train British staff to work here? They figure "why should they, when they can get a cheaper, more flexible, fully trained alternative elsewhere?".

That's not always quite the case.

The reality is more a case of companies making use of cheap, improperly trained labour to fulfill their legal obligations to provide certain quantities of manpower.

You've only got to look at stuff like, for example, supertankers, where the european officers can barely communicate with the asian deck crew and, as a result, aren't able to get them to do anything they don't feel obliged to do and which has led to several bad accidents as a result of the lack of properly trained crew, to see how that can work out.

I guess it's true that if you're looking for, say, people to mop floors or empty bins then there's no down-side to employing cheap labour but the use of foriegn labour is far from limited to menial jobs.

And, let's not forget that the whole "minimum wage" thing need not be a problem here either.
    All you have to do is use a foreign employment agency to recruit people from, say, Poland, and the agency pays them whatever wages they deem reasonable into a Polish bank account.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heard it in Germany and Australia, as well as the States.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    scotty22 wrote: »
    ok this might be pretty dumb but what do you mean by non resident workers? what should anyone have to prove about a job if they were legally allowed in to work in that country? is it just all on the type of visa or whatever?

I'm just speaking from personal experience.
    I know British people who're on, say, 2 year or 5 year contracts in places such as Dubai, Thailand, Norway etc and their employer will regularly be called upon to prove that the person is doing work that cannot be done by a native of that country.
    If the employer can't prove that's the case, the person has their work visa cancelled and they get booted out of the country.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    The same right wingers who say things like that are also likely to be the same ones who argue for free market capitalism

Free market capitalism knows no national loyalty.
  • Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member

Indeed, apparently it's alright for the no-neck face tattoo'd mouthbreathers to seduce Polish girls, but woe betide any Polish man trying to seduce a British girl.

That doesn't say much about Polish girls though does it so either you have a low opinion of them or you're making all of this up, which is it?
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I love the way you are the first to pounce on anyone who has 'stereotypical' views of immigrants or the EU and yet you are the first to run down the UK and its people. I have yet a see a post where you do not generalise or criticise the UK and the British, either at home or abroad.

If you really dislike it here so much, perhaps think about those open borders across the Channel....

Every time, regular as clockwork.

The racist bile this poster comes out with would have seen them banned were it directed at any other nationality.
  • sim.michsim.mich Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the only brits i have heard complain are the same ones that havnt worked for 15 years or more and never intend to work,they just sit in the pub all day drinking on benefits and moaning about the immigrants taking the jobs! there 2 or 3 in every pub across the land.ironically its the workers they slag down that are probably contributing to their "disability money"(back strain 20 years ago).
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    You really don't hear it more here. I spent a year living in Italy and it was a huge thing over there. i think possibly because you say saw a lot more immigrants out on the street flogging dodgy dvds/handbags/shoes or sending their kids to beg outside supermarkets.
    One of my sons went to live in Italy a couple of years ago (married an Italian gal) and was unsuccessful in finding a job, apparently they give jobs to their own first and foremost, they're back here now and he got a job within two weeks.
  • crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    . Now there were some jobs the the British white man did not want to do, the dirty jobs... and low paid jobs... so the west Indians started to take these jobs.

Sorry but that is bullsh*t.
    The only way any group of people would start to feel like they were 'too good' for certain jobs, is if another group of people predominately started being brought in to do these jobs (for cheaper wages) by the government. The 'British white man' did not all of a sudden throw a tantrum and say 'i refuse to clean the rubbish up any longer' and then storm off, resulting in the need for other ethnicities to take their place.

It really pisses me off when people say that 'white' people think they are 'too good' for certain jobs.
    So what your saying is that a young, working class person would refuse a job as a cleaner, which would feed his/her children, just because they happen to be white?
    Nice.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way any group of people would start to feel like they were 'too good' for certain jobs, is if another group of people predominately started being brought in to do these jobs (for cheaper wages) by the government. The 'British white man' did not all of a sudden throw a tantrum and say 'i refuse to clean the rubbish up any longer' and then storm off, resulting in the need for other ethnicities to take their place.

It really pisses me off when people say that 'white' people think they are 'too good' for certain jobs.
    So what your saying is that a young, working class person would refuse a job as a cleaner, which would feed his/her children, just because they happen to be white?
    Nice.

Just to add.

And in the areas where there is little or no immigration, who does the jobs there?
    The shops are open, the streets cleaned, the hospitals open ect. And usually a better service and cleaner enviroment to boot.
  • jaceylaceyjaceylacey Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Don't you think it's strange that so many immigrants start their own businesses once they are domiciled in the UK, that you never hear he cry - ''they come over here setting up businesses''

Ethic minorities are responsible for approx 10% of all business start ups.In London the figure is 19%.

They tend to only employ their own.
  • Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    I love how everyone goes on about immigration taking our jobs, but never the millions of jobs lost due to untaxed outsourcing of work.

Of course, outsourcing doesn't affect our majority white country from remaining majority white, so it's not as big a problem to the Daily Mail.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do any other countries have this same sort of "They come over here, taking our jobs" mentality as the British?

Would you hear that phrase said anywhere else in the world? Or is it a typically British phrase?

You should try reading Mein kampf
  • jaceylaceyjaceylacey Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how everyone goes on about immigration taking our jobs, but never the millions of jobs lost due to untaxed outsourcing of work.

Of course, outsourcing doesn't affect our majority white country from remaining majority white, so it's not as big a problem to the Daily Mail.

Companies who set up Indian call centres should be taxed double.
  • gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nice.

Man I can't agree with this enough. I spend a lot of time in Cornwall, where the people who serve in fast food restaurants are white English, the people who clean offices are white English and the people who run taxis are white English. this would be the case in London if it were not for mass immigration. So immigrants really do take jobs away from the native population obviously.

People who say immigrants do jobs white people won't do are the real racists, or are usually parroting what their lefty teachers taught them in school, it also gives them I nice afterglow because they can show their peers how 'unracist' they really are, while denigrating their own kind.

Twisted thinking of the highest order.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I'm just speaking from personal experience.
    I know British people who're on, say, 2 year or 5 year contracts in places such as Dubai, Thailand, Norway etc and their employer will regularly be called upon to prove that the person is doing work that cannot be done by a native of that country.
    If the employer can't prove that's the case, the person has their work visa cancelled and they get booted out of the country.

The countries you listed are not in the EU, and the two of them are not even geographically in Europe:D:D
  • FunctionFunction Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is quite amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj0HVR3-yLA

The Native American hits the nail on the head.
  • crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add.

And in the areas where there is little or no immigration, who does the jobs there?
    The shops are open, the streets cleaned, the hospitals open ect. And usually a better service and cleaner enviroment to boot.

Exactly, the north east has one of the lowest rates of immigration in the country, so the vast majority of people who work in what are considered 'dirty, low paid jobs' are white British here.
    For alot of us 'working class lot' these jobs are the best we can hope for, quite a few of my close friends and family work as cleaners, binmen, etc.
    Probably why i tend to get more annoyed about it then people from elsewhere in the country
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Man I can't agree with this enough. I spend a lot of time in Cornwall, where the people who serve in fast food restaurants are white English, the people who clean offices are white English and the people who run taxis are white English. this would be the case in London if it were not for mass immigration. So immigrants really do take jobs away from the native population obviously.

People who say immigrants do jobs white people won't do are the real racists, or are usually parroting what their lefty teachers taught them in school, it also gives them I nice afterglow because they can show their peers how 'unracist' they really are, while denigrating their own kind.

Twisted thinking of the highest order.
    I love Cornwall dont get me wrong. But I think this is one of its faults wish it was more multi- cultural.
  • gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TOONARMY12 wrote: »
    I love Cornwall dont get me wrong. But I think this is one of its faults wish it was more multi- cultural.

Why would you want the white English fast food servers, taxi drivers and cleaners to lose their jobs, just so they could be under cut by immigrants and tick a diversity box.

Twisted thinking of the highest order, I rest my case.