• Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    The offspring of a geezer and a dork.
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am wondering if my son is a geek. He is very intelligent and when he was about 10 he was at his friends house who could play the keyboard. My son decided to have a go and was able to play a little tune on it despite never having had music lessons. The friends Grandfather who was a musician told me he thought my son had an ear for music. We then paid for him to have keyboard lessons and he took exams which he passed. Suddenly when he was about 17 he decided he did not want to play the keyboard but wanted an electric guitar instead. So again we pay for guitar lessons and he becomes quite good at it. We have spent loads of money on various guitars and then last year he suddenly stopped playing them. Its as if he has become bored with playing and is now looking for something else to do. Its not just music he is good at he also a very good artist and also enjoys photography. I feel like he is wasting his talents and seems to flit from one interest to the next.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    I think its a nerdy man who is obsessed with technology.

What is your definition?

That was mine too but "geek" just means weird now.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    I think its a nerdy man who is obsessed with technology.

What is your definition?
    That was mine too but "geek" just means weird now.
    The think is, as I pointed out to my daughter when she accused me of being a Geek, the Geeks kind of won. If a love of technology is used as a defining feature then almost everyone's a geek these days.

The trendiest most popular "cheerleader" type at school, who wouldn't be seen dead with a "Geek" will rarely be off of Facebook, or texting her mates, or checking out stories on the internet. And the phone they are doing that on will be the latest, coolest, phone they can afford.

It wouldn't be unusual these days for a sterotypical rugby playing real ale drinking Alpha Male to have a wide screen plasma screen with cinema surround sound and blue ray playing capabilities. What's more they will be all too happy to tell people about it with a zeal that might have once been preserved for talking about their cars.

When the outdoosman is wandering up hill and down dale he's probably doing it with a GPS device. When he's cycling around those hills it's probably following a route he plotted on his iphone app which is also keeping track of his speed and graphing it against all his rides to date.

Some of the highest grossing films in recent history; Batman, X-Men, Spiderman, The Avengers, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit. All taken from what was once pure Geek fodder.

It's a geeky world out there.

The technology bar you have to reach to be labeled a Geek is a lot higher now. :D
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geek is a word widely used in flirting. If she calls you a geek, you're in!
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geek Love was a brilliant book!!!