Bra crisis!

cold tootsiescold tootsies Posts: 324
Forum Member
Please help ladies.....

Please can you recommend some shops which sell comfortable bras? I'm really struggling to find a simple, comfortable t-shirt bra that fits:(. The less fussy the better; I just want to feel well supported.

I've been measured in various shops and am usually found to be a 34D ( or occasionally a 34C). I've returned 3 bras already this week :eek: because after initially trying them on and finding them comfy, I've taken them home and worn them to find them unbearable- gaping in places, digging in in others and overall just ridiculously irritating.

My ideal would be lightweight and cool ,preferably a nice soft fabric and just a non- bra bra if that makes sense?! Something I can forget I'm wearing because it's nice and comfy ( yet still supportive).

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't recommend Bravissimo enough! Most women are wearing the wrong bra-size. I'd see where your nearest shop is. They are pricey but they help you find out what your bra size actually is and what a good fitting bra should feel like :) good luck!

Edit - they also don't measure, if I measure myself Following the usual instructions come out at a 34D! I am actually a 30FF!!
  • cold tootsiescold tootsies Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info about Bravissimo :). I went on their website to have a look but it says they only cater for larger cup sizes.

I measured myself following a guide on House of Fraser and I'm even more confused now. According to them, I am an A/B cup! No wonder nothing fits if in every shop you're a completely different size:mad:

Has no-one else managed to find any comfortable t-shirt bras they can recommend? Or any idea of the best shops to try?
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info about Bravissimo :). I went on their website to have a look but it says they only cater for larger cup sizes.

I measured myself following a guide on House of Fraser and I'm even more confused now. According to them, I am an A/B cup! No wonder nothing fits if in every shop you're a completely different size:mad:

Has no-one else managed to find any comfortable t-shirt bras they can recommend? Or any idea of the best shops to try?

Believe it or not, Adsa do nice ones.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,007
    Forum Member
    I think t-shirt bras are hopeless. What about trying a Belvia bra?
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to suggest Asda too. They have some good wireless ones which I am living in at the moment as they are comfortable and I am a 36F.

brastop.com is a website I use quite often for bras but the stock changes quite a lot so it's hit and miss what they have. It is cheap though!
    Forum Member
    Thanks everybody. In my lunch break I went to M&S and tried on about 10 different sizes in a bra I liked until one seemed to fit. I bought 2 in the end and as a bonus they were in the sale :D.

I plumped for a "perfectly natural supersoft plunge" and a " vanishing back full cup" whatever the hell all that means:confused:. If anyone's interested, I shall report back to let you know how I get on in my continuing quest to find THE perfect bra :D.
    Forum Member
    I hasten to add that I did ofcourse carry out the "jump up and down in the changing room" test :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member

It might help to keep in mind that M&S, House of Fraser etc use an outdated measuring technique that involves adding 4/5 inches to your underbust measurement to determine the 'band size'. Adding these inches is no longer necessary because modern materials have enough 'give' to account for this difference.

A great guide to measuring correctly can be found if you search online for 'the better bra campaign" It is a blog that has measuring advice and fitting tips. Take a moment to read up - the people I know that have used this guide (myself included) were measured by high street stores as a 36/38/40 back with A or B cup size, when in reality the best fit for them (calculated by the method given on this website & evidenced by trying on bras!!) is closer to 30/32/34 back with DD,E,F (or larger) cup size. Once supported fully & correctly the difference in figure/the way tops fit is marked - the wonders of a great fitting bra, eh! :)
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    BHS do a good T Shirt bra, bit cheaper than M&S but comfortable and washes well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LH02 wrote: »

A great guide to measuring correctly can be found if you search online for 'the better bra campaign" It is a blog that has measuring advice and fitting tips. Take a moment to read up - the people I know that have used this guide (myself included) were measured by high street stores as a 36/38/40 back with A or B cup size, when in reality the best fit for them (calculated by the method given on this website & evidenced by trying on bras!!) is closer to 30/32/34 back with DD,E,F (or larger) cup size. Once supported fully & correctly the difference in figure/the way tops fit is marked - the wonders of a great fitting bra, eh! :)

I am going try this, thank you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You would be surprised, of you are "measuring" as a 34B (for example) then the chances are you are probably a 30D the reason Bravissimo cater for larger sizes is because most women do fill those sizes, they just don't know it :-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have tried many different places but now I stick with M&S. Their bras are not cheap (£20 eachish) and not very pretty, but it seems you're like me and just want something comfortable and unobtrusive. They are good quality and wash up well.

Their sizing is a bit off though, go a cup size smaller and a back size bigger and you'll probably be okay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M&S is dreadful for measuring so avoid going there.
    Sounds crazy- but try Ann Summers, at least to be properly measured as they use the modern accurate way. Also believe it or not- they do also do plain t shirt bras (although maybe not what you are after). But def get measured there- I have been measured at several m&s stores plus a local lingerie shop and they all got it wrong/bras I bought were uncomfortable after an hour or so of wear. Ann Summers on other hand fitted me like a glove.

And avoid m&s bras in general if you can- as their sizes are random and 2 bras of the same size will be different (as I've discovered countless times in past).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M&S is dreadful for measuring so avoid going there.
    Sounds crazy- but try Ann Summers, at least to be properly measured as they use the modern accurate way. Also believe it or not- they do also do plain t shirt bras (although maybe not what you are after). But def get measured there- I have been measured at several m&s stores plus a local lingerie shop and they all got it wrong/bras I bought were uncomfortable after an hour or so of wear. Ann Summers on other hand fitted me like a glove.

And avoid m&s bras in general if you can- as their sizes are random and 2 bras of the same size will be different (as I've discovered countless times in past).

I can't speak for AS as I haven't been measured there but I agree, every M&S I have been to have measured completely wrong. They always stick me in a 34D, as their old measuring tape says so. I get chronic back pain when my bra doesn't fit. At Bravissimo (I promise I don't work there I just cannot recommend them enough) I am fit with a 30F-FF and every bra I've bought since, from many other places, in this size fits beautifully. As the brilliant site recommended above (http://thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1 ) says, if you're a size 8 there is NO way you are a 34 back size. And yet so many women are doing so.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Debenhams have a good selection of Bra's and if you aren't big up top (over a D I would say) the selection is very good. When I used fit for Debenhams we would measure around the torso and then bring a couple of different cup sizes in sometimes it was obvious just from looking what size a person was. Each bra is different though.

I go to Bravissimo and they are brilliant but as you are a D you can go to most of the normal shops and not pay the expensive prices I have to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I really love bravissimo I can always see and feel the difference after they've fitted me. Rigby and peller is also brilliant. Even if you don't purchase there their fitting service is top class!
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please help ladies.....

Please can you recommend some shops which sell comfortable bras? I'm really struggling to find a simple, comfortable t-shirt bra that fits:(. The less fussy the better; I just want to feel well supported.

I've been measured in various shops and am usually found to be a 34D ( or occasionally a 34C). I've returned 3 bras already this week :eek: because after initially trying them on and finding them comfy, I've taken them home and worn them to find them unbearable- gaping in places, digging in in others and overall just ridiculously irritating.

My ideal would be lightweight and cool ,preferably a nice soft fabric and just a non- bra bra if that makes sense?! Something I can forget I'm wearing because it's nice and comfy ( yet still supportive).

Many thanks for any help.

Bravissimo they are great. I went in as a C cup and came out double EE lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it very difficult to find a decent bra, very few places stock 30D. Many places only start at 32 or 34 back size.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neon tiger wrote: »
    I find it very difficult to find a decent bra, very few places stock 30D. Many places only start at 32 or 34 back size.

Same here, I end up ordering online but order a few sizes then have to send some back :(

Love your username btw :D
  • LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brastop.com do a big range of sizes.

As for fitting, go to Bravissimo or Rigby and Peller. House of Fraser fitten me correctly too.

According to the tape measure, I'm a 36A. Anyone who knows what I look will confirm that is not right.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found over many years of wearing bras that

a) I need a different size as weeks go by,
    b) I don't rate BHS or M&S
    c) Asda's are great, cheap enough to buy a few and chuck when they stretch, but more importantly they look nice and fit better than anyone else's (not withstanding that I've never tried really expensive bra shops)
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grr! Spent an hour in bravissimo trying stuff on, managed to try on every style they did my size in (they measured me), but none fit right.

We found ONE that the style was right for my body shape, but they didnt have my exact size, so ordered it and it arrived today.

It doesnt fit :mad::mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asda! They do the best quality bra's I've had, I'm a G size so finding bra's that fit can be quite hard, I can never find the bigger sizes on their website but in store they seem to stock quite a few bigger sizes and they do nice designs too.

Bravissimo, I used to love their shops but I stopped buying from there, I tend to have to pay out £30 for one bra if I go there and other places like M&S and BHS etc, I just cant afford to do that everytime and they don't last any longer than ASDA so I tend to stick with ASDA as they sell for about £7 a bra.

I've tried La senza and found they're the worse for bras coming apart really easily! Ann Summers also do bigger sizes and they are quite comfy and actually quite good value, they sometimes do a deal of 2 for £25 which are quite good.
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's because I'm such an awkward size, yeah I'm big busted, but I'm only a 28 back!
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    If you want non-wired it may be worth trying out Peacocks, after years of buying expensive uncomfortable bras I get mine from there and moreorless forget I'm wearing one- can't say they're high fashion though.