How smart would you say you are?

13»

Comments

• Polo MintsPolo Mints Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    I'm usually pretty smart, but often pretty stupid by self admission.

Apparently my IQ is about 130.

It doesn't help that by self diagnosis I'm dyslexic (fairly certain on that), which is why I make many typos in my posts, use double words (and and, it it etc.). I use a spell checker, so most typos I make, I can correct.

So, I'm not sure what score to give myself.
    Me too.

Your IQ seems unbelievable to me! :eek: I have the IQ of a rope! :(
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Not at all academic, but quite knowledgable.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    Not at all academic, but quite knowledgable.

You're probably more intelligent than 'clever' then.:)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Polo Mints wrote: »
    Your IQ seems unbelievable to me! :eek: I have the IQ of a rope! :(

I don't consider myself to be particularly intelligent tbh, but according to various tests I've had done in the past online and offline that is what my IQ is apparently.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife says, "You are undeniably intelligent, and if I were on 'Who wants to be a Millionaire'
    I'd want you as a phone a friend, but you haven't got a lick of common sense."
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    about a 3 or a 4. Do I wish I was smarter? Well I recognise my limitations.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    You're probably more intelligent than 'clever' then.:)

:D I've just got a head full of rubbish really
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    :D I've just got a head full of rubbish really

The opposite!!!!!!

You're probably far more capable of strategic and lateral thinking than wondering if there's enough loo roll :D

Knowledge is different to academia, most of my 'former cleverness' was rote.
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends how you define smart.

If you mean book smart then if it takes my interest i learn quickly, perhaps too quickly as i get easily bored. When i buy books i usually buy the reading list for a degree and then forget most of it, some parts stick, some of them i'll read twice but it's rare and sometimes i'll lose interest quickly.

I can draw but not from my mind, i can copy a picture.

If i force myself to pay attention i have a good memory, i can memorize lists of hundreds of things and recite them in order, front to back, back to front and if you choose a starting point i can go from there but it takes time, it isn't difficult, it is just boring.

If it involves people, i fail miserably, you're all strange and you make me feel awkward but i've learnt to act and mimic you.

In a professional capacity i make your house look nice but it hurts my shoulders :o

Mostly though, i'm an idiot and thats how i like it. Some people get me, it's rare though and they find my antagonism amusing, or at least thats how it seems. :)
  • November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I'm as thick as pig shit. :(
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm as thick as pig shit. :(

Me too. None of it matters so i may as well roll around, take a mud bath and basque in the sun :)

Not the paper, i haven't got the tits for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say. If you have to tell people you're smart, you're not. :)
  • suki csuki c Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    Well, I had a good convent grammar school education and studied a broad range of subjects from Latin to both arts and sciences - I persuaded the teacher training college that I went to in the 70's to allow me to study art & design as my main subject with general science as my subsidiary as I couldn't make my mind up which I preferred - they had to alter timetables to accommodate me!

The result of this? Well, I regularly answer about 80% of the questions on all topics on University Challenge and when I played in pub quizzes I started to be embarrassed as whatever team I was in would inevitably win and we had to start playing under a handicap :o

BUT ..... I am daft at lots of practical things and recently have been experiencing very worrying memory loss where I have NO recollection of huge chunks of what I have been doing - my mum had Alzheimers and I am having a brain scan tomorrow - who knows what, if anything, they will find in there ;)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    I wouldn't say. If you have to tell people you're smart, you're not. :)

We are not telling anybody. Simply answering a questioon.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just did an online IQ test. 133. Seems a bit high really. But I'll say 7.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I consider myself to be very intelligent, even though I have average qualifications, poor social skills and a highly limited general knowledge.... I guess that probably makes me dumb lol.
  • Bobbity-booBobbity-boo Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have IQ 133, but my memory is, and always has been, truly appaling. This really balances things out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Academically, I'm reasonably smart.
    Common sense, I'm reasonably OK.

But I can still be a complete numpty at times!

I guess I'm only human :p
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose I'd rate myself as a 5, as that seems to be the middle on your scale. If you consider what we know, versus what we don't, it's rather scary.

I have a capacity to understand a subject immediately when it is being spoken about, or taught. However, my retention of that knowledge is awful.

I get bored very quickly, and most standardised I.Q tests cannot hold my attention for long. I took two whilst studying for my degree, an adult WAIS, and Raven's progressive matrices. The WAIS has a bit more variety, so scored me as approaching genius, whereas the Raven's which is logic puzzles rated me as mentally retarded.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle of the two.

I was kicked out of university for being a trouble maker anyway.

I was about to make a point about fluid intelligence, but there's a fluffy cloud outside that just startled me, and I can't remember what it was I was going to say.