Options

Buying good quality meat

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What are good tips for getting good quality meat? I always thought going to a butcher was a sure fire way to success but I bought a piece of gammon from one recently that tasted of virtually nothing. To be honest it was cheapish which should have set alarm bells ringing. Saying that some cuts of meat are surprisingly cheap by comparison to others. I generally like free range/higher welfare stuff, but there isn't a lot of it in the supermarkets and neither do butchers seem to publicise it either.

Comments

• Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I buy all my meat from MacDonalds in Pitlochry. They deliver too. They can tell you everything you need to know about what you buy, where it was raised etc and pride themselves on selling a quality product. I wouldn't go anywhere else. I'm actually ashamed that animals have died to produce the crap you get in supermarkets.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get mine from Donald Russell. The quality has always been outstanding. Not particularly cheap but they often do offers and if you order enough it's free postage. Customer service is also first class if you have any issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another Donald Russell fan here, spent our Christmas money from my Dad on stocking up our freezer, and have another delivery due tomorrow. Yes, it's expensive but worth every penny. I've just been diagnosed with severe anaemia, so have a real excuse to eat more red meat:D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What are good tips for getting good quality meat? I always thought going to a butcher was a sure fire way to success but I bought a piece of gammon from one recently that tasted of virtually nothing. To be honest it was cheapish which should have set alarm bells ringing. Saying that some cuts of meat are surprisingly cheap by comparison to others. I generally like free range/higher welfare stuff, but there isn't a lot of it in the supermarkets and neither do butchers seem to publicise it either.
    Obviously it depends on the quality of the butcher.

The Extra Special steak from ASDA is better than my local butcher's.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Morrrisons and Sainsburys.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,949
    Forum Member
    Local butcher I'd say, but he/she's got to be trusted and known to provide excellent meat.

Of the supermarkets I'd say Morrisons does the best meat.
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morrisons or farmer's markets, farm shops..... build a good realtionship with the suppliers
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get my meat from a online butchers ( they now also do greengrocery and other things )

The meat is excellent and I can get my meat and pay monthly for it. You can have meat (or other goodies) to four times the value of your monthly DD
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I very rarely use butchers as I do most of my food shopping when they are closed but recently I have switched to getting my meat from Waitrose although I still do my main shop at Tesco (the Clubcard people must think I've gone veggie). Costs a little more but the quality and variety is much better.