Game Of Thrones Season 4 [US Sun/UK Mon] [NO SPOILERS]

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not as simple as that. Some characters are apparently at book 5 while others are still in book 3 storylines (I'm only on book 2 so I can't confirm but as an example, a friend of mine was asking where the show was up to and I said book 3 up to the red wedding only to be told that that was book 4.

Edit: Corwin got there first
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I a friend of mine was asking where the show was up to and I said book 3 up to the red wedding only to be told that that was book 4.

Your friend was no doubt talking about the paperback version of the book. In the UK Book 3 (and Book 5 for that matter) was split into two when published as a paperback. So while the Red Wedding is in Book 3 if you are reading the paperbacks it would be in the 4th volume you were reading.
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The general story is up to the end of book 3. The Tyrion stuff. Tywin's death etc. Most other main stories, Jon at the Wall, Dany in Meereen are roughly there too but with variations.

But some characters are way out of whack.
    Theon disappears after the sacking of Winterfell at the end of book 2 and we don't see him again until book 5. We didn't know if he was alive or dead. When Reek appeared we didn't know it was Theon at first (although it was an easy guess).
    So the stuff in the last two seasons is moved from flash back to real time.
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone have any idea why Tyrion's hair colour changed from blonde to brown?
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the sort of nasty unwelcoming post that keeps people away from this forum. There are no future spoilers in this thread from book readers, just a reasonably sane discussion of something that has happened in the show, was a bit different in the book, and is all in the past. No spoilers at all. Yet you and posters like you are STILL objecting.

No wonder this site has lost at least half its contributers, if not more, almost every time someone tries to discuss a plot line, even if they've never read the books, someone else accuses them of being a covert book reader and screams spoilers, telling them to go over to the book thread.

Call me nasty if you wish to, but I still say TV thread for TV discussion and book thread for book discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Your friend was no doubt talking about the paperback version of the book. In the UK Book 3 (and Book 5 for that matter) was split into two when published as a paperback. So while the Red Wedding is in Book 3 if you are reading the paperbacks it would be in the 4th volume you were reading.

Oh right, a bit like how Lord of the Rings is actually 6 volumes rather than 3?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »

I'm not sure what the timescale is meant to be but hair can darken naturally over time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just on an aside, did anyone else have a bit of a "what the?!" reaction on seeing Rose Leslie's name in the opening credits of the finale?

My initial thought was, I know George says they're not dead til seen on screen but this is pushing it!

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »

In season 1 the Lannisters being blonde was an important plot point but not so much after it was established the Children were not Roberts.

I'm guessing after Season 1 they just didn't insist that Peter Dinklage dyed his hair and just left it his natural colour, Jaime's hair isn't as blonde as it was in Season 1 either.

I think Theon is the one whose hair changes the most as in some scenes* of Season 1 Ep1 he's actually blonde.

*Scenes that were filmed as part of the original pilot but were used in Ep1.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info, book-readers, re: where we are currently up to. Though
    I dare not read Corwin's spoiler, as I'm too scared of what might lie within!

My best friend has actually read the books, but it was so long ago, he can't actually remember where we're up to! But he has said there have been a few WTF moments, that he can't quite reconcile with the story. ie. there's been a couple of incidents (and he won't tell me which, just in case) that he says appear to be beyond anything that's been revealed in any of the books. He also thinks the series will end up getting ahead of the books within a couple of years, at this rate.
    Just on an aside, did anyone else have a bit of a "what the?!" reaction on seeing Rose Leslie's name in the opening credits of the finale?

My initial thought was, I know George says they're not dead til seen on screen but this is pushing it!

;)

Yep, I definitely did! I assumed it was going to have to be flashbacks, but I did half-wonder if she might rise again as a wight. That makes two episodes on the trot where I thought she was going to kill Jon Snow!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, book-readers, re: where we are currently up to. Though
    I dare not read Corwin's spoiler, as I'm too scared of what might lie within!

I just answered your question about where in the books the TV plot is up to. Never even named any characters but as someone might consider it a spoiler I tagged it anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In season 1 the Lannisters being blonde was an important plot point but not so much after it was established the Children were not Roberts.

I'm guessing after Season 1 they just didn't insist that Peter Dinklage dyed his hair and just left it his natural colour, Jaime's hair isn't as blonde as it was in Season 1 either.

Another possibility is that Tywin informed us that the Lannister's gold mines had run dry. So perhaps they can't afford shampoo anymore. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just answered your question about where in the books the TV plot is up to.

That's why I said thanks. But as other people had commented as well, I used the catch-all of "book readers," to says thanks to everyone who had answered.
    Never even named any characters but as someone might consider it a spoiler I tagged it anyway.

Well I don't know what is within the spoiler tags, as I didn't read it. Its actually the fact that I trust you as a regular poster that I chose not to read it. I assumed if you spoiler-tagged it, then it was probably a spoiler and you did so because you wouldn't want to spoil things for others.

Hope you didn't take my post as a slight against you. It wasn't meant to be. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah Nikolaj's hair is pretty much back to the colour it was when he appeared in Wimbledon.

(I don't watch Wimbledon for Peter Colt any more, it's to get another look at Nikolaj ;))
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Call me nasty if you wish to, but I still say TV thread for TV discussion and book thread for book discussion.

Yes, I agree with you Arwen. Strikes me that's easy enough to understand.

Some book readers' posts, particularly recent ones, have actually put me off ever reading the books, I think I'll just stick with the TV show, it's less confusing.
  • DemonicrodentDemonicrodent Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opps forget it I'm not even getting into it.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha, thanks for that - I enjoyed it - especially with the jolly music.
  • deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's great viewing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They missed out the Hound breaking Biters neck so the number of on screen deaths should be at least one higher.

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the exhibition they actually had an "In Memoriam" wall for all those who died in seasons 1-3.

I was glad they'd included poor Grey Wind and Lady.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the season 4 clip. Christ that Oberyn Martell scene still makes me shudder!
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the season 4 clip. Christ that Oberyn Martell scene still makes me shudder!

I still haven't seen it, the screams were enough for me. I never got any further than Oberyn being grabbed by the Mountain, before I minimised the window (I don't have a TV).
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    I think I would have liked Tyrion and Shae to have more of a conversation before their tussle, as I'm still a little unclear as to whether she was playing Tyrion all along
    Totally agree with this. Shae's death felt really rushed in my opinion. In fact, so did Tywin's.
    It's like they focused too much on the other storylines and forgot about these two monumental moments in Tyrion's storyline and had to just cram them into the last 10 minutes.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I still haven't seen it, the screams were enough for me. I never got any further than Oberyn being grabbed by the Mountain, before I minimised the window (I don't have a TV).

that's what I did too and I will not be watching it either