Pauper View

Comments

• Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK History is just a previous name for the Yesterday channel.
  • goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Well if u don't receive all the psb channels you should not have to pay the full license fee. Either everything to everyone or accept only part payment from viewers.

To deny that their won't b a tier 3 situation next year is just putting your head in the sand.

Also don't forget last year not everyone got all the extra temp Olympics feeds. We had 1 I think.
    But how would you be able to prove that you can't receive all of the PSB channels in order to qualify for not paying the full license fee? :confused:
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But how would you be able to prove that you can't receive all of the PSB channels in order to qualify for not paying the full license fee? :confused:

Simples they could send someone out to see 1) the aerial & 2) the channels picked up. They do send people out already when people who's homes have aerials claim not to have a tv.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simples they could send someone out to see 1) the aerial & 2) the channels picked up. They do send people out already when people who's homes have aerials claim not to have a tv.
    But without a warrant, not everybody is likely to cooperate though. :(
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But without a warrant, not everybody is likely to cooperate though. :(

Presumably they would cooperate if they wanted a reduction to their licence fee... however, the whole idea is ridiculous, unworkable and not likely to happen.
  • DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel I am quite able to argue this point even though I have freesat.
    I presume therefore you believe you should be paying an increased license fee? :D After all freesat has more channels than either freeview or freeview lite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    Presumably they would cooperate if they wanted a reduction to their licence fee... however, the whole idea is ridiculous, unworkable and not likely to happen.
    I mean would you gladly cooperate, or would you cooperate begrudgingly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean would you gladly cooperate, or would you cooperate begrudgingly?

Well, at a guess, in this unlikely scenario they would be coming to offer a licence fee reduction. They would be extremely unlikely to randomly visit homes attempting to enforce this reduction. The assumption would have to be that the visit was requested by the viewer. In any event, it's not going to happen.

Here's a possible alternative, all relay transmitters could be closed down and everyone given a reduction to the licence fee. Local communities could then be given the opportunity to fund their own relays through local taxation. That would give the local community the chance to pay for whatever multiplexes they wanted for their own community and give everyone a licence fee reduction. ;)
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Yes I have freesat but Still don't get all the freeview channels - uk history, Dave, quest, drama. The only way to get them is to pay sky.

:eek: The good news is you can still watch Yesterday (formerly UKTV History), Quest, Dave and Really without funding the Murdoch family by either going to Virgin Media (subscription) or TVCatchup (free as is their Android app).

Depending upon your set up, you might be able to stream internet TV to your main TV.
  • Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re freeview lite - I cant see how anyone can defend it.
    Anyhow,

You live in a village and have to make a short trip to the closest town to do your shopping and the first supermarket you go in is selling a whole chicken for £5.00. Alongside it, is half a chicken, also priced £5.00.
    You ask the assistant if they can sell the half a chicken to you for £2.50. They say, only if you live in this town - if you don't you have to pay £5.00 for it. You ask, surely you can adjust the price - they say no, the price is fixed.
    You go out and go into the next supermarket just over the road. They have identical whole chickens, which they are willing to sell to you, but the fixed price in there is £10 per chicken.

My point is, if the freeview lite situation were reflected in the things we buy, it wouldn't be tolerated. So why is it tolerated in the digital service sector?
    The TV Licence in no ways carries a guarantee that you will be able to receive all channels, or any for that matter...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj20x wrote: »
    Indeed and quite a few of the main 80 transmitter sites, especially those in the Scottish Islands & Highlands, don't serve large population areas. The COM multiplexes could have decided not to serve these areas.
    This is what it is like in Guisborough, where my parents live and where I used too. It has its own transmitter, but is only small.

Luckily it is only roughly 13 miles away from the parent Bilsdale transmitter, so you can just point the aerial towards that instead and receive the full service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if u don't receive all the psb channels you should not have to pay the full license fee. Either everything to everyone or accept only part payment from viewers.

To deny that their won't b a tier 3 situation next year is just putting your head in the sand.

Also don't forget last year not everyone got all the extra temp Olympics feeds. We had 1 I think.
    That was due to the limitations of the DTT service. There simply is not enough space for them all to be added to Freeview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :eek: The good news is you can still watch Yesterday (formerly UKTV History), Quest, Dave and Really without funding the Murdoch family by either going to Virgin Media (subscription) or TVCatchup (free as is their Android app).

Depending upon your set up, you might be able to stream internet TV to your main TV.

yea our nearest cable tv hook up is 20miles away, not viable to roll it out here. The catchup web site has been mentioned before-but when I used it the video playback was very juddery. I doubt very much their Android app would work well on my smart phone, Nothing else does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what it is like in Guisborough, where my parents live and where I used too. It has its own transmitter, but is only small.

Luckily it is only roughly 13 miles away from the parent Bilsdale transmitter, so you can just point the aerial towards that instead and receive the full service.

True, it's not generally a good idea to use a relay when a full service main transmitter site can be received with a good signal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yea our nearest cable tv hook up is 20miles away, not viable to roll it out here.

So exactly the same situation as with the commercial multiplexes, it's not viable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cable tv never claimed to b replacement for analogue terrestrial tho or have national coverage.
    I don't know what numbers make a population viable, I think our town has about 26,000 people + has broadband + fibre broadband. The city of Bath is even bigger and also gets only freeview lite. I don't think either location has the technical prob of not enough uhf freqs. Sounds just an excuse not to bother to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cable tv never claimed to b replacement for analogue terrestrial tho or have national coverage.
    I don't know what numbers make a population viable, I think our town has about 26,000 people + has broadband + fibre broadband. The city of Bath is even bigger and also gets only freeview lite. I don't think either location has the technical prob of not enough uhf freqs. Sounds just an excuse not to bother to me.

There were never enough frequencies to add 6 multiplexes as MFNs. Following the pattern of analogue allocations, 4 multiplexes would have been possible.. unfortunately, after giving up spectrum in the 800MHz range, that is no longer the case. It would be easier with SFNs but the UK transmitter network was not planned for this and it won't work with DVB-T. It would be more feasible with DVB-T2.

The point that you ultimately have to accept is that the commercial multiplex operators were given the opportunity to extend their networks but declined. They didn't consider it to be viable, exactly the same as Virgin Media. The commercial mux operators aren't saying that they can't expand because of lack of frequencies, they are saying they don't want to fund an enlarged network.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Since VM buy their services from Sky (there are direct fibre links from Osterley to Langley) any VM sub still funds Murdoch.

In the case of Virgin Media, I would have thought that a portion of the subscription monies would find their way to the Discovery media group (Quest) and the UKTV media group (Yesterday, Really, Dave) rather than Sky in this respect.

Cable's basically restricted to urban and suburban areas but there are still quite a few areas that are not yet served by Virgin Media. In respect of Freeview lite :eek:, I can understand why remote rural areas might not have the full Freeview service but it's pretty disgraceful that towns like Bath and Luton have to put up with the paltry Freeview lite offering (although Film4's been added relatively recently as a minor consolation).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bath is a city, not a town, yet unless u r one of the lucky few on very high ground you r stuck with fv lite (other than satellite, assuming u can legally have a dish, theres lots of listed buildings etc.)

Yet the city of sailsbury has all the channels on its own transmitter.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure I remember a proposal for some of the larger relays to carry full Freeview - from my own region, I recall seeing that West Runton in North Norfolk was on the list and mentioned it to someone who lived in that area. This would have been a year or two before DSO started, and I'm pretty sure that frequencies had been allocated and the list published. However in the end they decided not to go ahead with this plan and it was just the main sites that got it.
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you get all the channels you could receive on analogue on Freeview? Yes? Then Freeview has replaced it perfectly.

Yes, it sucks that not everyone can get all the extra channels. But just like you don't expect to have a Westfield or airport or Virgin Media in your village, you can't expect to have the commercial TV channels as they are funded by adverts and it doesn't make commercial sense due to the lack of population there.
  • BizmanBizman Posts: 749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bath is a city, not a town, yet unless u r one of the lucky few on very high ground you r stuck with fv lite (other than satellite, assuming u can legally have a dish, theres lots of listed buildings etc.)

Yet the city of sailsbury has all the channels on its own transmitter.
    Geographically the two locations are quite different. Bath is in a valley and hills prevent line of sight reception from the Mendip transmitter. Salisbury has lesser hills in the area and fairly open fields in the surrounds.