Best splitter

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi,

We've just had an engineer out and our signal is great, but we have break up when splitting the signal to three separate tvs. He has recommended getting a better "splitter" (if that's the correct term?) . He says to avoid the plastic ones and don't get a booster one either......... has anyone got any advice on the best to buy? Thanks.

Comments

• kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phasenine wrote: »
    Hi,

We've just had an engineer out and our signal is great, but we have break up when splitting the signal to three separate tvs. He has recommended getting a better "splitter" (if that's the correct term?) . He says to avoid the plastic ones and don't get a booster one either......... has anyone got any advice on the best to buy? Thanks.
    If there is not enough signal to split three ways, you will have to get a "booster" one, nothing wrong with them as long as they are fitted near the aerial. I've got a 4-way booster/splitter fed by my loft aerial, it's fine but the model isn't available any more. Some background reading here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I can fit "near" the aerial, as we live in a flat. Aerial is way up on the roof and out of my control.

Think I will try a booster anyway and see if it helps.

kasg wrote: »
    If there is not enough signal to split three ways, you will have to get a "booster" one, nothing wrong with them as long as they are fitted near the aerial. I've got a 4-way booster/splitter fed by my loft aerial, it's fine but the model isn't available any more. Some background reading here.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have a strong signal to begin with then a decent passive splitter might not be a problem. A powered splitter could cause problems with overloading the tuners in the TVs or whatever is connected to the aerial.

You could try a passive splitter first then if it screws up the picture quality too much swap it for a powered version. Something like this would do

http://cpc.farnell.com/labgear/fju603/splitter-3-way-uhf-5-1000mhz/dp/AP02105

It uses F-Type connectors rather than the more usual Belling Lee type connectors more usually found on TV aerial leads.

If you do need a powered splitter then try a low gain version such as this

http://cpc.farnell.com/slx/28103f/4-way-pro-slx-gold-signal-amplifier/dp/AP01503
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternatively, you could get a passive splitter, and if that isn't good enough, just add a booster before it... no need to waste the passive splitter, and it will function pretty much the same as a proper distribution amplifier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all your replies! No idea what to do for the best, but it can't be WORSE reception than it is now whatever I decide!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phasenine wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies! No idea what to do for the best, but it can't be WORSE reception than it is now whatever I decide!

Some comparisons between 2 way splitters
    http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/Splitter/

If you get one that have F connectors you can get F to Belling Lee (coax) adapters cheaply from Ebay

Another source, avoiding minimum order charges.
    http://www.beststuff.co.uk/store/Labgear-3-Way-Splitter-WBS3F.htm

F to Belling Lee (coax)
    http://www.beststuff.co.uk/store/F-plug-to-Coaxial-Socket-Gender-Changer.htm
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if the signal is strong enough you can use this sort of passive splitter.
    www.ellies.co.za/index.php?id=701
    ......just dont bother with this type which is rubbish......
    www.ellies.co.za/index.php?id=698

but if the signal is weak, you will need a multi way powered booster...
    www.buyspares.co.uk/product.pl?pid=100411&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products&gclid=CMDnrO6Tza0CFWQntAodymK1pQ
  • jcjeffejcjeffe Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    There is nothing at all wrong with the "Rubbish" splitter above as I use one, as long as you have a strong signal. Its only down side is that its a resistive splitter so each o/p will be 6db down where as a more expensive inductive splitter each output would be only 3db down for a 2 way splitter. If you need a 4 way splitter a powered splitter is the only way to go. Although it may not be the cheapest place B&Q do have quite a range on offer:-
    http://search.diy.com/search#w=tv booster&asug=TV
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go for a multi output booster one, with variable output control.

your signal isn't really strong enough to split it 3 ways....... but you also don't want to amplify it any more than it already is.

Passive splitters are possible..... but they halve (for 2) and thirdify(?) for 3 ... plus additional loss. ive never had any luck getting a passive splitter to work......

......on the other hand, ive never had a single problem with amplified ones
  • kevkev Posts: 21,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On possibility to consider if you are using Set Top Boxes rather than IDTV's - run the aerial into the first box, then split the output - as it's only being split two ways there should be less loss and it might just work fine.
    jcjeffe wrote: »
    There is nothing at all wrong with the "Rubbish" splitter above as I use one

I tried using one years ago and they just seam to pick up any interference going and cables don't stay in properly - after using an F-Connector based one I was surprised at the difference they made - took channels from being unwatchable to being as good as the direct signal.

That being said, since we had a new aerial installed I have been using a set back six way distribution amp ( http://maxview.co.uk/products/info_PSB6.html ) to provide a signal to each of my tuners* and this has worked fine - unlike the 1 way ones it doesn't seam to try and boost the signal loads therefore wrecking it - it just ensures that the output remains at a strong enough level. Since DSO I've not needed it as the ITV Digital box bit the dust and the rest work perfectly fine from a passive splitter - however it didn't cause any issues leaving it in.

* TV, USB TV Tuner, ITV Digibox, PVR
  • jcjeffejcjeffe Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Perhaps I am some sort of "Expert" having spent many hours earlier in my life as a Radio Technician sat at a bench full of Signal Generators, Spectrum Analysers, Noise meters etc measuring such equipment parameters as Loss, Gain, Isolation, Noise Figure, Bandwidth, Sensitivity, Selectivity, Intercept Point, Intermods etc etc.

I never claimed the device was perfect and that it didnt have limitations, but you should not describe ANYTHING as "Rubbish" without giving some sort of reason. I certainly didnt recommend the item for the application in question but it does work without a problem for my particular application. All technology has its limitations and as long as you remember that, even the simplest item can perform adequately.
  • MuzerMuzer Posts: 3,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry, he seems to be a person who forms extreme opinions very quickly with little provocation, and defends them very rudely indeed, as can be evidenced by his posts on Home Plugs, the spelling of the word aerial, and many other topics. Best just to ignore him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcjeffe wrote: »
    There is nothing at all wrong with the "Rubbish" splitter above as I use one,

The main problem is that they are unlikely to be fully screened. Local electrical interference can cause picture breakup if it gets into your aerial wiring. The plastic case of the splitter provides no screening. Some cheap splitters may have a full or partial metal screen under the plastic case - but many do not.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i call the cheap plastic "Y" splitters rubbish as from what I have seen of them, on post DSO Freeview (Lite) in strong signal areas (line of sight to mast), with correct group aerial, it can result in such a downgrade that with a bit of a cable run added you can suffer picture breakup. Remove it and you get back 100% signal.

if it cant even cope with this sort of situation, then its poor by anyones standards., and should never be used where freeview signal is marginal......i wasted an hour sorting out friends new aerial install and finally discovered a hidden Y splitter. This example was a weak signal zone, with new high gain aerial pointed at the pre-dso Mendip service. Couldnt get any channels on freeview at all.....yet I knew other people inc us were able to get it at the time with same aerial just up the road. Once I found the splitter and removed it, the service at their place scanned in - all channels. Told them to chuck it in the bin and buy a 2 way booster which they did.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the "usual stuff" of a poor MATV system, and Landlord not interested.

If the Freeview signal to noise radio is poor to start with, then a splitter is NOT a good idea! SInce, it worsens snr by at least 4dB (probably more) You;d be better off looping the signal "through" the 1st Freeview receiver.

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Cliff_effect

(in other words, the feedtrough amplifier's "noise figure" is - almost certainly - much better than "dropping" 4dB via a splitter!)

http://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedia/noisefigure.cfm

That said ...... the best splitters are the METAL BODY ones, inductive instead of resistive, they have lowest ,losses,