Stupid question time - rice salad

PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,245
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have never made a rice salad (I normally have rice or salad), but we are hosting a large BBQ next month and i am serving a bowl of fresh salad, a bowl of potato salad and I thought a rice salad as well.

My question is, I get that you cook / cool the rice - but how do you stop it sticking together ? Do you add oil ? I assume then that I add small chunks of tomato, red onion, cucumber, feta cheese (??) and peas maybe to the mix ?

I know this is a really basic thing. My other thought was a pasta salad - but again, how do you stop it sticking ?

Also - do you add a mayonaise type dressing over the top to give it some flavour ?

Comments

• JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Rice salad is supposed to be on the sticky side. You're not going to get separated grains. You can add whatever you want to it - look up some recipes, there are loads on the net. A vinaigrette-style dressing goes great with rice salad, and the oil will help with the stickiness a bit, but don't use mayo! Mayo and rice do not go together at all, and it will be a gloopy mess.

I've made Delia's pesto rice salad loads of times for BBQs. It's gorgeous - always goes down well.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/party-food/accompaniment/pesto-rice-salad.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once it's cooked leave it under a slow running cold tap until the rice is completely cooled. Add everything afterwards and refrigerate.

Same with pasta.

Or

Undercook it slightly and add everything, allow it to cool and then refrigerate. Break it up with a fork before you serve.

If in doubt, do a cous cous salad instead.