Options

Child benefit to be capped at 2 children

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this a good idea or not?

I associate the payment of child benefit with days gone by when the point of it was to ensure that women (who mainly didnt work then) had money for food and fuel to protect the children.

But what is the purpose of it now?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523819/No-10s-plan-cap-benefit-children-New-mothers-children-lose-700-5bn-welfare-crackdown.html

Comments

• Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At one time, when it was called Family Allowance, it wasn't paid for the first child. Instead the taxpayer (normally a man) was given a tax allowance equivalent to FA for the first child. Family Allowance was revamped in 1979, extended to being paid also for the first or eldest child and renamed Child Benefit.

I do think it's a good idea. Paying someone for having children is an antiquated idea. Plus Child Tax Credits help people in a far better way. CTC was actually going to replaced CB at one stage but the then Labour government decided to drop the idea.

Personally, I'd abolish Child Benefit altogether. It's a cost of having children that should be passed back to the parents and not to the tax payer.
  • Options
    FriendlyGoatFriendlyGoat Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will stop them dirty chavs from popping out kids in order to pay for their **** and booze on my wallet, so it's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see the arguments for and against, personally I think it should become a means tested benefit that way the people who really do need it will get it.

Unfortunately I think they will eventually just do away with all benefits including state pension. I will be surprised if the welfare state is still around in 10-20 years time.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is a good idea, although I think it should be started at somepoint in the near future and not be implemented to children already alive/in the womb today. The start of 2015 for all new borns, excluding rare cases of multiple births.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want any of the buggers myself but Children are the future of the country and we need more of them (to pay my pension :) ). So I'm not in favour of reducing this.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MagiLisu wrote: »
    I can see the arguments for and against, personally I think it should become a means tested benefit that way the people who really do need it will get it.

Unfortunately I think they will eventually just do away with all benefits including state pension. I will be surprised if the welfare state is still around in 10-20 years time.

If so, I want back what I've paid in, with inflation proofed interest added.

State Pension is not means tested, it is bloody contributed to by the people who get it. Compulsorily.
    Andrue wrote: »
    I wouldn't want any of the buggers myself but Children are the future of the country and we need more of them (to pay my pension :) ). So I'm not in favour of reducing this.

I agree with you. It shouldn't be stopped.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    What if someone has triples or more?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It should exclude multiple births.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Personally I think two children are enough for anyone. You can't stop people from having kids but limiting the child benefit to just two is a great idea imo.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Send the children to the work houses >:(.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    If so, I want back what I've paid in, with inflation proofed interest added.

State Pension is not means tested, it is bloody contributed to by the people who get it. Compulsorily.

I know that, but the whole system is has become unsustainable and I'm pretty sure the Government would get rid of the whole thing tomorrow if they thought they could get away with it.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »

>>>>

The five shillings child allowance (for the second child and thereafter) was very welcome by my mother and similar poor families when poverty clearly existed in the 40's - but has no comparison with families and people today.
    What is not needed in this overpopulated world is encouragement for couples to have more childre, especially where they expect others to pay for and support their offspring!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read this in the article:
    Almost 200 families reliant on out-of-work benefits have at least ten children.

Who the hell needs 10 or more children?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The problem is that if it is capped at two children and people do have more it's will be the children who will end up suffering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is that if it is capped at two children and people do have more it's will be the children who will end up suffering.

The parents will have to start looking for work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If implemented at a future date, it may discourage many potential parents from having anymore until they can afford them. I realise a minority may just keep breeding without thinking of the consequences.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a counterpoint Germany runs a very generous child benefit system, have a good kindergarten system, gives generous - and higher than the UK in the first year - unemployment benefits and are considering lowering the age of the state pension to 63.

And they are still running a budget surplus.

Makes you wonder whether it really is welfare that is dragging this country down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Send the children to the work houses >:(.

I think we have found a solution guys. :)
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with this. Obviously it wouldn't be fair if someone has eg two sets of twins as this is beyond their control and I think they should receive the benefit for each of their children.
    However, if a couple want to try for a 3rd/4th/5th etc child, then they should be ensuring beforehand that they can financially support it anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    As a counterpoint Germany runs a very generous child benefit system, have a good kindergarten system, gives generous - and higher than the UK in the first year - unemployment benefits and are considering lowering the age of the state pension to 63.

And they are still running a budget surplus.

Makes you wonder whether it really is welfare that is dragging this country down.

Their unemployment rate is 5.5%
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The parents will have to start looking for work.
    They are not that many jobs to go around plus they still need time off until the child is old enough to go to nursery at least

If implemented at a future date, it may discourage many potential parents from having anymore until they can afford them. I realise a minority may just keep breeding without thinking of the consequences.
    True enough but even with the best precautions accidents can still happen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    I agree with this. Obviously it wouldn't be fair if someone has eg two sets of twins as this is beyond their control and I think they should receive the benefit for each of their children.
    However, if a couple want to try for a 3rd/4th/5th etc child, then they should be ensuring beforehand that they can financially support it anyway.

Precisely. I see no reason to have any more than a couple of children at most.
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a good idea and should have been done long ago IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not that many jobs to go around plus they still need time off until the child is old enough to go to nursery at least

Wouldn't hurt to try, would it?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, triplets+ should be excluded because after all, women can't control what happens after the sperm has entered their body.