Options

My childhood has now become history

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow I must be one the very few people who didn't hate his childhood here!

I'm not misty eyed about it, I recognise there was a lot of not so good moments, but I was still proud enough to have that childhood during that time (90s). I don't think I would want to be a kid now.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pasty face wrote: »
    Born in 1972, long hot summer holidays, playing out all day, running about with no shoes and the Tarmac in our street was boiling hot. Eating garden grown rhubarb and dipping it into sugar (yuck!!). Hardly as many cars in our scheme. Playing Kirby till late outside our house. Taping the top 40. Camping with a make shift tent out in our back garden.

I also remember having a paper bag with sugar in it to dip a stick of raw rhubarb in it. Sometimes my Mum would give me an orange with a hole pushed into the middle and filled with sugar which I ate with a spoon. We also used to have bread and butter fingers with sugar sprinked on top of the butter. Talk about bad for your teeth, no wonder we all had fillings and teeth out.

Another thing was having sandwiches of bread and dripping. My cousin was born in 1957 and my aunt used to get the big tins of powdered milk for him. The baby cousin's older brother and myself used to have a little bit of the milk powder in the bottom of a paper bag to dip into with our fingers and eat, (sounds revolting now). My cousin used to think eating dog bisuits was wonderful, I have to admit that I never tried them!
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember that when you went to the cinema or theatre they used to play God Save The Queen at the end of the show and sometimes at the beginning too and everyone used to stand up for it. Sometimes if we were going through a rebellious phase, we just used to stay sitting and all the older people used to look daggers at us.

Seems funny now to think of that.
  • Options
    trayhop123trayhop123 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can remember that when you went to the cinema or theatre they used to play God Save The Queen at the end of the show and sometimes at the beginning too and everyone used to stand up for it. Sometimes if we were going through a rebellious phase, we just used to stay sitting and all the older people used to look daggers at us.

this is still done in thailand
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

and some people would get up and shuffle out early to avoid it.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They used to play 'God Save The Queen' when the telly went off for the night.......
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    They used to play 'God Save The Queen' when the telly went off for the night.......

Yes. I remember that in the 80s, on the BBC, when programmes finished between one and two am, usually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Job interviews. They used to be "tell me about yourself". If they liked the look of you you'd get the job. As recently as 2002 I went for a job interview with a large organisation and was asked "so are you planning on getting married, do you have a boyfriend and do you want kids?" Lol Now it's all psychometric tests, weird competences and tick boxes - designed to circumvent that old favourite "instinct".
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also remember having a paper bag with sugar in it to dip a stick of raw rhubarb in it. Sometimes my Mum would give me an orange with a hole pushed into the middle and filled with sugar which I ate with a spoon. We also used to have bread and butter fingers with sugar sprinked on top of the butter. Talk about bad for your teeth, no wonder we all had fillings and teeth out.

Another thing was having sandwiches of bread and dripping. My cousin was born in 1957 and my aunt used to get the big tins of powdered milk for him. The baby cousin's older brother and myself used to have a little bit of the milk powder in the bottom of a paper bag to dip into with our fingers and eat, (sounds revolting now). My cousin used to think eating dog bisuits was wonderful, I have to admit that I never tried them!

We got the stick of rhubarb with a wee bag of sugar too. :)
  • Options
    euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it scary how much has changed since I became an adult and I'm only 33 now - even things like mobile phones seemed so odd to me years ago. Do wonder where technology will take us in the next 15 years or so?

Do find it sad that the current generation of children will grow up not knowing what Woolworths was
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »
    My nan always told a story of a mother coming to her door to complain about my father punching her son. When the woman had gone she gave my dad 6p for sticking up for himself.
    She also used to take him to Lyons corner house for egg and chips every Saturday..she would order an extra egg and stand him on the table so that he could draw on the big mirror next to the table.( he was still painting until his death).

Does anyone remember cap bombs and cap pistols, those pop beads and pea shooters.
    Which types of caps? Paper strips? Plastic ones?
    Had a range of toy guns in my childhood - so was a case of setting up logistics for ammo supply...
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apropos to cycling... Get Yourself Seen, anyone? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MFuSMz1zh0