Options

Footballers Wives

davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought I would make a thread to reminisce about this show - who else loved it? I'm currently rewatching the whole series. I'm on Series 2 at the moment - Jason and Tanya are definitely my favourite characters.

It was such enjoyable trashy escapism - I think a similar show could still work in today's TV climate.

Comments

• Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of male arses on show, was part of my sexual awakening as a teenager.

Pure lightweight trash though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed seeing Tanya's bangers, don't really remember much else about it.

Oh yeah, I saw that Chardonnay one in something else the other day, she was a saucy trollop as well.
  • Options
    RobRob Posts: 4,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That plane scene had 15 year old me happy for weeks :D
    To think that is Nick! What would Gail say? :o
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It goes down hill after Jason and Chardonnay die. Although I liked Conrads character. Aka Nick Tilsley! Lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conrad and Gary Lucy's character should have got it on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Lots of male arses on show, was part of my sexual awakening as a teenager.

Pure lightweight trash though.

It was my sexual awakening as well. I remember I was 12/13 when I first watched it.
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conrad was a TERRIBLE actor, but he's actually got worse. Tanya and Amber held the entire show together by both being brilliant whilst the scripts and remaining cast were terrible. Oh, and Harley was good, I think he's doing okay for himself now. It's trash, but I love it!
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first two were good, I enjoyed the 3rd series but I really loved the last two, shame people switched off by then. If it was still going on today then I think it would be popular. The thing with FW was it seemed before it's time. Now there's loads round wags and footballers, if it was brought back I think it would fit into today's society.
  • Options
    FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourite shows of all time. Pure fun escapism. I loved the show until Tanya left, then it got a bit patchy but was still watchable. Definitely a show that was ahead of its time.

Zoe Lucker is a brilliant actress as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I didn't really like the first few seasons for me season 4 was the best loved Harley Conrad Amber and Tanya but Tanya definalty was the best character
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch Hotel Babylon on BBC2 it was rather similar in many respects; light, entertaining and pure escapism.

Both this and Footballers' Wives were as camp as Christmas.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never bought Ben Price as a sex symbol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I never bought Ben Price as a sex symbol

He was better looking in Footballers wives. I suppose because he was quite a bit younger then.
  • Options
    gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved footballers wives when it was on, was probably a bit young to fully appreciate it, but Tanya Turner is such an iconic character.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I loved it! I remember only watching at first because Gary Lucy had just left Hollyoaks so I wanted to see what he was doing next.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show was Trash with a capital T but I loved it. It was the closest thing that we've had to an American soap like Dallas or Dynasty over this side of the pond (sorry Howards Way). It really hit it's stride in series two once it got rid of boring Donna and Ian. Zoe Lucker owned the show as superbitch Tanya. She was what kept me tuning in week after week. For me, the wheels really fell off the show in series 4 with the rape plotline, Tanya's exit, characters like Giles and Seb but I stuck it out until the end. Despite series 5 signalling the end of the series, I did quite like the final run with the return of Tanya, the appearance of Joan Collins and the addition of Tremaine and Liberty (even if the actress that played Liberty was pretty dire) and bonkers plotlines like blind Roger going down the lift shaft, a drugged up Jackie riding around on Garry's back while wearing a donkey mask and the unresolved cocaine cliffhanger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    He was better looking in Footballers wives. I suppose because he was quite a bit younger then.

Did he frown a lot back then?

He's a very frowny bloke these days.
    Mind you he has married a hooker and lost his marbles.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did everyone think of Footballers Wives Extra Time? I thought it wasn't good as the main show but for a spin off it was good. Not many spin off's manage to work but I think FWET did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.DotA wrote: »
    What did everyone think of Footballers Wives Extra Time? I thought it wasn't good as the main show but for a spin off it was good. Not many spin off's manage to work but I think FWET did.

I forgot about the Extra Time programme. I vaguely remember it - didn't it start straight after Series 4 of FW finished?

I thought the show really hit its stride during Series 2. Series 1 was a bit dull, watching it back again. They were building up the characters and the stories in the first series, but the second series really is very entertaining so far.

I'm on episode 4 - Tanya has been arrested for cocaine possession and Jason has asked for a divorce. He wants to live with Jackie and bring up his secret son, Paddy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.DotA wrote: »

I don't remember it ever being advertised so I didn't watch it. Although judging on the clips on YouTube I didn't miss much. It looked quite rubbish.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bloody loved it :D:D
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I forgot about the Extra Time programme. I vaguely remember it - didn't it start straight after Series 4 of FW finished?

I thought the show really hit its stride during Series 2. Series 1 was a bit dull, watching it back again. They were building up the characters and the stories in the first series, but the second series really is very entertaining so far.

I'm on episode 4 - Tanya has been arrested for cocaine possession and Jason has asked for a divorce. He wants to live with Jackie and bring up his secret son, Paddy!

How could I have forgotten about Paddy, the hermaphrodite baby? That storyline really elevated FW's reputation for outlandish plots.

I never watched Extra Time. It seemed like a poor man's version of the main show. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Tanya was supposed to appear on Extra Time but didn't as a result of scheduling conflicts. Before it was launched, I remember TV magazines promoting it with talk of Tanya coming back and pictures of her scene in the airport with her husband's urn. For whatever reason, she never made it to the spinoff and that scene ended up on the main show. I don't know if Anika was created to take Tanya's place or if they just filled Tanya's place by having Amber cross over instead.
  • Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Footballers Wives. The airplane scene was brilliant. The tattoo scene was hilarious. All in all a brilliant series.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first three series were great entertainment.

The last two were horrible. The story lines just went stupid and not in an entertaining way.

It's hard to believe that Conrad and Nick Tilsley are played by the same person though. :D