Options

Both USA and Germany through if no goals scored ?

BlizzardUKBlizzardUK Posts: 4,965
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If so, they can agree before to just not score, right ? Plain sailing.

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    It doesn't matter how many goals are scored as long as it's a draw.
    If they draw then they both have 5 points and can't be caught.
  • Options
    klunkklunk Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prediction: we will be hearing the phrase "Shame of Recife" over the next few days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Germany_1%E2%80%930_Austria
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Both will want to win the group though - as they would avoid Argentina in the quarters.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Both will want to win the group though - as they would avoid Argentina in the quarters.

:confused: But the team who comes first is meeting France in the quarter finals. I wouldn't say France was weaker than Argentina.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    May have worked this out wrong but if Portugal win 2-0 and USA lose 3-0, then the drawing of lots will have to determine the second place in the group as both will have played 3, won 1, drawn 1, lost 1, scored 4 and conceded 6, and both teams drew against each other.
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna be an emotional day for Klinnsmann. His head says USA, his heart says Germany.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna be an emotional day for Klinnsmann. His head says USA, his heart says Germany.

Really? I don't think Klinsmann wants Germany to do well at all, just like I don't believe Cruyff wants Holland to do well. There are personal scores to be settled.
  • Options
    Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Germany may be happy with it, but I doubt that the USA will be willing to do that and pretty much guarantee themselves a second round clash with Belgium instead of Algeria/Russia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    Germany may be happy with it, but I doubt that the USA will be willing to do that and pretty much guarantee themselves a second round clash with Belgium instead of Algeria/Russia.

Belgium are not exactly fright-inducing. Any team from Germany's group will win against any team from Belgium's group.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chile/Holland are playing for the pleasure of meeting Mexico/Brazil (or possibley Croatia) so winning may be a bad thing....

Me thinks when you are at this stage of the competition then the two groups involved should play at the same time (so this evening the four games of groups A and B should be played at the same time)

It's the sort of thing that would never happen in the Olympics Badminton competition......:o
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't they wait until the group stages are completed before drawing the first knockout round? It's crazy that a team could be in a position to manipulate who their next opponent is or which side of the knockout competition they play in.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Why don't they wait until the group stages are completed before drawing the first knockout round? It's crazy that a team could be in a position to manipulate who their next opponent is or which side of the knockout competition they play in.

And how on earth would that work? Matches finish at 11pm BST Thursday and start again 5pm BST Saturday, teams out of position, fans out of position and 42 hours until the next match.

Totally unworkable.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ I suppose it's down to logistics and stadiums etc, that they have to have a set route to the final.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    And how on earth would that work? Matches finish at 11pm BST Thursday and start again 5pm BST Saturday, teams out of position, fans out of position and 42 hours until the next match.

Totally unworkable.

Not only that, if a team had already qualified they'd have no motivation to win their group.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Xela M wrote: »
    :confused: But the team who comes first is meeting France in the quarter finals. I wouldn't say France was weaker than Argentina.

Not definite. France have group E won (barring a massive swing in goal difference), but Argentina haven't won their group yet. If they lost to Nigeria and finished as runners-up they would play France in the last sixteen with the winner of that facing the group G winner in the quarters (assuming of course the group G winners don't go out in the last sixteen).
    soulboy77 wrote: »

For the same reason they don't wait until the first round of Wimbledon is completed before drawing the second, as someone else said it's unworkable.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »

No they can't fix the match. Germany will be going for the win and so will USA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Not definite. France have group E won (barring a massive swing in goal difference), but Argentina haven't won their group yet. If they lost to Nigeria and finished as runners-up they would play France in the last sixteen with the winner of that facing the group G winner in the quarters (assuming of course the group G winners don't go out in the last sixteen).

I think the most likely scenario is that Germany, France and Argentina will top their groups. In which case Germany is playing France in the quarter finals and Argentina are facing whoever comes second in Germany's group (probably USA). I doubt Argentina, Germany, France or whoever comes second in Germany's group will lose in the round of 16 just based on the groups that they are tied to. However, I could be completely wrong. It has been a surprising world cup so far.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    May have worked this out wrong but if Portugal win 2-0 and USA lose 3-0, then the drawing of lots will have to determine the second place in the group as both will have played 3, won 1, drawn 1, lost 1, scored 4 and conceded 6, and both teams drew against each other.

This the result I want. Then the US to go out on lots. Cant stand the US fans way to arrogant, want Germany to give them a good hiding. Their faces were a picture, when Portugal got the late equaliser.
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    ACU wrote: »
    This the result I want. Then the US to go out on lots. Cant stand the US fans way to arrogant, want Germany to give them a good hiding. Their faces were a picture, when Portugal got the late equaliser.

Agree about the USA, USA, USA fans but there's a certain Portugese player who can be a tad arrogant also.

Personally I'd like to see Portugal and USA both lose and Ghana go through on goals scored ! :cool:
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    If I was the USA I would just go for the win. Germany will never be anything special with Loew in charge and they're beatable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was the USA I would just go for the win. Germany will never be anything special with Loew in charge and they're beatable.

Yeah... because they played so much better with Ribbeck or Voller or Klinsmann in charge... ;-)
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    Yeah... because they played so much better with Ribbeck or Voller or Klinsmann in charge... ;-)

Those three managers had poor teams and had to make do. Loew has the best wealth of talent Germany have had in generations and he's squandering it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Agree about the USA, USA, USA fans but there's a certain Portugese player who can be a tad arrogant also.

Personally I'd like to see Portugal and USA both lose and Ghana go through on goals scored ! :cool:

I can forgive the Portuguese player, as he can back up his arrogance. What has the USA done in football? I wouldnt mind Germany and Ghana going through, seems like the ideal result from that group. The Portuguese are poor overall, Ronaldo on his own cant carry that team. Then again I am not sure who could. The other 10 players range from poor - very poor.

Edit - Also notice the USA have MLS league games going on, wtf????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amongst Ronaldo charitable acts he has

paid for a childs cancer operation

written a letter to a judge on behal fof a fan

haircut in tribute to a child fighting cancer

He has on numerous occasions spoken out for the Palestinians. Snubbed the Israeli players by not swapping his shirt with them after the match.

So hes not all that bad, even if do seem arrogant on the pitch.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    They should agree to draw.

No point in playing to win and risking injuries.

It's not cheating. It's just common sense given how the group has panned out.