New job - feel terrible?

Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a new job in a school but while usually I'm fine talking to people, I'm struggling to adjust.

There is around 4-5 of us in the office. I just struggle making any conversation and when they talk to me I try my best to reply. It just often silent. I even feel awkward eating in there. They've offered coffees and stated they'll enroll me in an office 'cake bake', but I don't want to look like a miserable ass and say no. Their jokes amongst themselves leave something to be desired, and I seem to have little in common with them.

Walking around is fine (other than getting lost), but it's often daunting seeing new faces and knowing what to say. It was my second day today.

Any advice? Meeting and making friends?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    It is always hard and daunting on starting a new job. Start with a friendly smile and "Hi". You will soon settle in and be one of the crowd. To be honest it sounds as if they have accepted you already and are wanting to be friendly. Just try and relax. Enjoy your new job and good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you say no to coffees? It's no fun being the new person but they are sizing you up and you have to give a little, don't like coffee? Ask for tea or water...

You don't want to be excluded until you know who you want to be excluded from... Introduce yourself to everyone and smile and be enthusiastic lots. It will get easier.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pac_girl wrote: »
    Why do you say no to coffees? It's no fun being the new person but they are sizing you up and you have to give a little, don't like coffee? Ask for tea or water...

You don't want to be excluded until you know who you want to be excluded from... Introduce yourself to everyone and smile and be enthusiastic lots. It will get easier.

It's not that I refuse them bluntly. I politely say no. I prefer water anyway (I have my own). I just feel awkward. Another issue being, I can't currently walk freely around the place. I don't know where anything is. Hopefully it will get better. Surprisingly, unlike my last school everyone is friendlier and more 'full on'. Strange that from school to school there is such a different atmosphere. Anyway, I don't have much to do so it's boredom as well (until my workload increases). Basically, tomorrow I have a meeting where I meet staff from other departments.

I should note I am 16. Only 3 weeks ago I was in school myself. Now I'm working in one.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice (smiling etc.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    It's not that I refuse them bluntly. I politely say no. I prefer water anyway (I have my own). I just feel awkward. Another issue being, I can't currently walk freely around the place. I don't know where anything is. Hopefully it will get better. Surprisingly, unlike my last school everyone is friendlier and more 'full on'. Strange that from school to school there is such a different atmosphere. Anyway, I don't have much to do so it's boredom as well (until my workload increases). Basically, tomorrow I have a meeting where I meet staff from other departments.

I should note I am 16. Only 3 weeks ago I was in school myself. Now I'm working in one.

Oops sorry didn't realize you were so young. Sorry I didn't mean to sound patronizing. You seemed older in your post. Think I should just shut up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Oops sorry didn't realize you were so young. Sorry I didn't mean to sound patronizing. You seemed older in your post. Think I should just shut up.

No problem ;)

Thanks for the advice. I also don't want to be treated like a child by other staff members I suppose.

:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody have any more ideas/experience?
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember my first job and how weird it was going from student to 'grown up worker.' Sorry, don't mean that to sound patronising :) But suddenly I was working and expected to interact with people much older who I had little in common with.

You sound older and wiser than your years from your post and you are lucky that your workmates sound welcoming. I think the thing to do is just relax and be yourself. I'm sure they'll appreciate you are new, younger and its your first job. We've all been there.

Maybe join in the cake bake to show willing.........you can always buy a packet mix and cheat - that's what I'd do :D

Good luck!
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Second day is always the worst, you know what to expect :) Don't be too hard on yourself, it's your first job and that's tough. I'd grab your water and say yes to any social invites if you can. Sometimes it's best to do that when offered so you can learn about them since it works both ways. If anyone is particularly friendly, ask them to take you on a tour. And cake bake, why not bring in some cake, maybe Friday to celebrate getting through your first week? Nothing fancy or even a few nice packets of biscuits. It's a great ice breaker and shows you're part of the team. There are some things you just have to do and I'd say given your age it's a good idea to get more involved with the staff to show you've made the transition from pupil to worker.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member

I'm exactly like that when it comes to coffee -- the boss always asks if we want refreshments in the morning and I politely decline. Can't function on the stuff and just have water.
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't add anything to what some of the above posts have suggested, but I would like to say congratulations on getting the job.

It's lovely to hear of a young school leaver being given a chance and which will eventually help you to gain experience and more confidence.:-D
  • gorgeousgirlgorgeousgirl Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    I was the same when I first started at my job with the whole hot drinks thing. The only time I really have them is hot chocolate in the winter. 2.5 years later people still ask me and I still say no but it's not awkward at all. It's just them being polite.

You'll get used to the age thing too. I'm a little older at 22 but I'm still the baby compared to everyone else. You think at first you have nothing in common but after a while I found it easier and easier to have conversations with them. Just start off with stuff like how was your weekend, got any plans tonight, did you watch blah blah on the telly last night. These people aren't going to be your best friends but unless they're total a-holes I'm sure you can have a good work relationship with them
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember my first week in a job straight from leaving school - I was also 16 and no way near as mature as you. I hated it, feeling like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole, it felt clicky and I really did feel like the 'odd person out'. However as the weeks went on and I began to familiarise myself with the people, place and actual work, things did get better and now after 40 odd years, and numerous different jobs I am still friendly with the crowd of people that I worked with then.

I think you will find that what you are going through is perfectly normal and rest assured it will get easier and by the way, congratulations on securing a job straight from school, that is an acheivement in itself in this day and age. :)
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ref the coffee thing: OP, I had a very similar situation in my first job concerning coffee. I bought myself a small cup, about 1/3 mug size, and had a little coffee in that (with lots of sugar!). I wasn't keen on it, but I grew to like it; alternatively, could you have tea?

Your colleagues are offering you coffee & cake to include you in their group and get to know you, it would be nice to accept if you can stomach tea/coffee at all! You'll soon get to know them all better, then you (& they) will be more relaxed and the banter will flow. Good luck. :)
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It takes time to settle into any job.

Why not offer to make the coffee? And try to ask questions, even if it's just 'Did you have a nice weekend?' You don't have to talk about yourself if you ask questions, and it makes you seem more outgoing.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was 16 I got my first job in an office, and was nervous as hell, with so many new experiences and things to learn I didn't know where I was most of the time.
    Don't worry, within a few weeks you'll feel like part of the furniture.

Well done on getting on the employment ladder.
  • ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just wondered what job a 16 year old would do in a school.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ste1969 wrote: »
    just wondered what job a 16 year old would do in a school.

Admin Assistant, IT support...
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Anybody have any more ideas/experience?

Here’s a little tip that may help you integrate a bit quicker.

You’ve obviously met quite a few new people who work in the office and I guess lots of other colleagues pop-in and out.

Remembering the names of all the people you encounter can be very difficult.

Make a small discreet note of the names/job titles of all the people in the office, and on-going as you meet other colleagues; refer to it as necessary.

It builds instant empathy when you are able to address colleagues with their ‘name’.......rather than just, “er......excuse me”. ;-)
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Ref the coffee thing: OP, I had a very similar situation in my first job concerning coffee. I bought myself a small cup, about 1/3 mug size, and had a little coffee in that (with lots of sugar!). I wasn't keen on it, but I grew to like it; alternatively, could you have tea?

Your colleagues are offering you coffee & cake to include you in their group and get to know you, it would be nice to accept if you can stomach tea/coffee at all! You'll soon get to know them all better, then you (& they) will be more relaxed and the banter will flow. Good luck. :)

I would suggest, OP, instead of politely declining, say something like "I'd love to, but I really can't tolerate caffeine, it makes me all jumpy" or something similar,and that will be more "open", it will lead into a conversation as they come back with something similar ... "Oh ,yes, I'm like that, I can't drink tea in the afternoon" and conversation opens up and you start to make friends.

People can get very touchy about refused offerings. I'll give you a story to illustrate this.
    When I was about 16, my dad got me a quick job helping his workmate, who was building his own conservatory. He dug the foundations in the evening, and I turned up while he was at work to shovel the soil into a skip. On the first day, his neighbours popped their heads over the fence, offering tea, (they were of course, nosing about as to what he was doing). I never drink tea so I politely refused, they offered coffee, I had my own cold drinks so again, politely refused, but they kept on, like Mrs Doyle in Father Ted. Eventually they got the hump and said "We're not trying to POISON you" and flounced off.

By the time I got home, my Dad was furious with me. His mate had phoned as the neighbours had been round to tell him how rude and obnoxious I was to them. Never underestimate the power of tea.
  • turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon it takes around six months to settle into a new job. Try your best to be friendly, saying good morning etc., when you get there. Try and join in with stuff where you want to. Don't fret about it, you'll get there.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) I know this isn't really advice but I just wanted to say congratulations on getting a job at such a young age, well done!

For me I find often that new environments can seem unsettling but once I'm used to it, it gets easier.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day 2? Oh come on, give yourself a chance! :D It takes a lot of confidence and experience to feel comfortable in the first few days of a job. You don't have that experience to fall back on...yet! You will, it does get easier. I do remember being totally tongue-tied in my first office holiday job when I was 17. I just didn't know what to say to anyone - it was a very busy temp agency - so I do understand how you feel.

Do you hate tea / coffee? If so, could you take in some fruit tea or similar that you do like - some are really nice - and offer to make or get the tea and coffee then you're participating.

If you've not got much to do, can you help anyone with their workload? I'm not one who recommends that the newbie should do all the dross but if you haven't got much to do yet, even doing the photocopying for someone will be a help to them.

Being new can be difficult of course, but it can also be a really easy way to start conversations - or participate in them because you keep playing the I'm new, could you tell me about / explain X..? card. You don't have to pretend to be more knowledgeable than you are. ;-) If there seems to be an in joke, you can say something like "there sounds like there's a story there" which will encourage them to explain and you to feel included.

Don't worry about not knowing anything much in your first week - or even your first month. Ask lots of questions, keep notes and revisit the notes to ensure you're remembering stuff, doing it right and on the right track.

You'll be fine and they sound very nice people but don't expect to feel like you're settled this quickly. It'll come, relax, work hard, participate lots and enjoy yourself. You may have left school but you've not stopped learning - really, you've only just started! Good luck with your career. :)
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    Here’s a little tip that may help you integrate a bit quicker.

You’ve obviously met quite a few new people who work in the office and I guess lots of other colleagues pop-in and out.

Remembering the names of all the people you encounter can be very difficult.

Make a small discreet note of the names/job titles of all the people in the office, and on-going as you meet other colleagues; refer to it as necessary.

It builds instant empathy when you are able to address colleagues with their ‘name’.......rather than just, “er......excuse me”. ;-)

My old college teacher used to do this to remember the names of all us students - we caught a glimpse of his list one day it said things like:-

lozenger - pink hair, gobby,
    Binny - lanky, spotty guy
    Julie - short, fat, glasses

etc...

You'll be fine OP, if anything the others will probably want to mother you - let em. You'll find things to talk about once you get to know them and in a couple of weeks you will wonder what on earth you were worried about.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just give it time. The first few weeks until you know what you're doing are always awkward, What role do you work in?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    avasgranny wrote: »
    It is always hard and daunting on starting a new job. Start with a friendly smile and "Hi". You will soon settle in and be one of the crowd. To be honest it sounds as if they have accepted you already and are wanting to be friendly. Just try and relax. Enjoy your new job and good luck.

I'd agree with that and any new job for anyone of any age can initially be a bit upsetting because there are new people and routines to get to know. The good points here are that this appears to be a reasonable place to work and give it a few weeks and you'll probably feel much more comfortable. Good luck! :)

PS These links here might be of use: https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=shyness+hints+and+tips