Moffat's "Massive cliffhanger" = Series 9 or 10th anniversary of New Who?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-teases-massive-cliffhanger-64015.htm

Last week, Moffat said that there will be a massive cliffhanger in the end of Series 8. Most people concluded that this means that Moffat announced Series 9. I really like Moffat and I really hope that he will stay in ninth season.
There is one thing that just came to my mind. Maybe he announced 10th anniversary special(s) of New Who. It would be quite logical because 10th anniversary special(s) should be in the March next year (after season 8).
Maybe that cliffhanger involves the appearance of old companions/Doctors...

So, what do you think?

Comments

• bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the massive cliffhanger was in the penultimate episode of series 9.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's anything like the previous 'massive' cliffhanger at the end of the first half of Series 6, I shan't get excited about it..............;-)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    The only cliffhanger I want at the end of Season 8 is; "Who will be the new executive producer/lead writer?"
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    The only cliffhanger I want at the end of Season 8 is; "Who will be the new executive producer/lead writer?"
    Sadly i have to concur. Moffat can write some awesome stuff, but he is (IMO) overly impressed with his own cleverness and lets 'being clever' get in the way of a decent storyline - look at the first episode of the most recent series of Sherlock. If you take out all the 'how did he survive stuff', which comprised half of the airtime, what's left was actually rather tedious. The Time of the Doctor, which should have been an epic swan-song for Smith, suffered from the same flaw. I think he should stick to what he clearly does best: tightly scripted single or double stories, but leave story arcs to someone else. And stop mucking about with 'multi-time-zone' stories. They've been done to death now.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [

So, what do you think?

Moffat was talking about the penultimate episode of Series 9.

Why would he only be thinking up a cliffhanger for the penultimate episode of Series 8 during the filming of the Series 8 finale?

I know things can be rewritten late on between the original script and what's actually filmed but if Moffat is only thinking up the script while they are actually filming they are in a bit of trouble.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love seeing Moffat troll - people get so worked up.

It will be the lead-in to his grand finale as EP, of course it will be big.
  • RooksRooks Posts: 9,100
    Forum Member
    They are unlikely to celebrate the 10th anniversary of New Who. Would they really wheel out David Tennant again so soon after The Day of the Doctor? And has Matt Smith simply been gone from the role long enough to make his return special?. I'd argue no on both counts.

And frankly The Day of the Doctor was far more a celebration of New Who than Classic anyway. It dealt with a major storyline that was introduced with the new series and it had only new series Doctors and companions (in any major sense). Sure we had some nods to the past but largely that was a story about the new series.

It's simply too soon to really have another anniversary episode in my opinion. You may get some nods to the New Who past but I'd be stunned if they did anything that could be described as an anniversary story in March 2015 (frankly I'd be surprised to see any episodes between Jan and Aug next year). At best you might get a DWM special edition but little else.

In regard to SM's statement of a "Massive Cliffhanger". He's rather prone to over-hyping the show (as is part of his job) but very rarely does his hype match the end result.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alphonsus wrote: »
    Sadly i have to concur. Moffat can write some awesome stuff, but he is (IMO) overly impressed with his own cleverness and lets 'being clever' get in the way of a decent storyline - look at the first episode of the most recent series of Sherlock. If you take out all the 'how did he survive stuff', which comprised half of the airtime, what's left was actually rather tedious. The Time of the Doctor, which should have been an epic swan-song for Smith, suffered from the same flaw. I think he should stick to what he clearly does best: tightly scripted single or double stories, but leave story arcs to someone else. And stop mucking about with 'multi-time-zone' stories. They've been done to death now.

Could you list for me 'all' these multi time zone stories you speak of? I think I might have inadvertently missed a few episodes...
  • rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    They are unlikely to celebrate the 10th anniversary of New Who. Would they really wheel out David Tennant again so soon after The Day of the Doctor? And has Matt Smith simply been gone from the role long enough to make his return special?. I'd argue no on both counts.

I think seeing Tennant again, really boosted the ratings. People love seeing him as the Doctor, whether certain people like it or not. Matt Smith would return I feel for a short few scenes, not a whole epsisode though. He wouldn't want to become to typecast.
    I would be surprised to see CE come back for a brief appearence as well. nothing huge, just a small scene with Billy Piper maybe.

I also don't want massive hype for it. Low key, normal episode with a few surprises thrown in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »

I think that 10th anniversary could be more focused on old companions and enemies, because (as you said) we already saw Tennant and Smith in the 50th.

Although I'd like to see Tennant and Smith back, even though we've seen them recently :D
  • kjwillykjwilly Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Sadly i have to concur. Moffat can write some awesome stuff, but he is (IMO) overly impressed with his own cleverness and lets 'being clever' get in the way of a decent storyline - look at the first episode of the most recent series of Sherlock. If you take out all the 'how did he survive stuff', which comprised half of the airtime, what's left was actually rather tedious. .

You DO know that Moffatt did not write that episode of Sherlock, don't you? # whyletfactsgetinthewayofyouropinion
  • RozesRozes Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    The Doctor and The Master fall down the Reichenbach Falls :-)
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Could be the lead into the end of 12’s search for Gallifrey.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

Amen, Amen and Amen. :)

Go do lots of Sherlock, Moffat and leave the Timelord alone. :)
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Take his comments with a pinch of salt. He brags so much about what he's written and it's usually a big let down for me. So I won't get too excited.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who Show Runner Exclusive!!!!!

"Well, we think it's pretty exciting, but you know, decide for yourselves. If you want to have a look, that is. Anyone else likes it, it's a bonus, really."

Can we add a RTD v SM poll...who was the biggest Hype-er?

(That doesn't sound right. Hype-ist? Hypemeister? Hyper-crit?)

I'll get my....etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat wants to get the world talking and as usual, it has succeeded. Any publicity and all that...
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Awwww Jesus ! Not another multi series arc. He couldn't pull it off the last time so why's he trying it again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awwww Jesus ! Not another multi series arc. He couldn't pull it off the last time so why's he trying it again

No mention of that. Mentions his previous one, but not a new one.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rozes wrote: »
    The Doctor and The Master fall down the Reichenbach Falls :-)

Very good! :D
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kjwilly wrote: »
    You DO know that Moffatt did not write that episode of Sherlock, don't you? # whyletfactsgetinthewayofyouropinion

Exactly. Mark wrote it.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-teases-massive-cliffhanger-64015.htm

Last week, Moffat said that there will be a massive cliffhanger in the end of Series 8. Most people concluded that this means that Moffat announced Series 9. I really like Moffat and I really hope that he will stay in ninth season.
    There is one thing that just came to my mind. Maybe he announced 10th anniversary special(s) of New Who. It would be quite logical because 10th anniversary special(s) should be in the March next year (after season 8).
    Maybe that cliffhanger involves the appearance of old companions/Doctors...

So, what do you think?

It wasn't the Time Lords who gave the Doctor a new regeneration cycle? :o Now that's what I'd call a cliffhanger.
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,283
    Forum Member

This is pretty much how I feel too. I'll probably always prefer RTD to SM, but there is no denying that SM's stories are more solid when he writes single/double stories. When he tries to be really clever, it doesn't work. And it's not just the stories that suffer, the characters suffer too. Most of them are either bland or insufferable. There is no development, and nothing seems to work.

Personally, I don't think story arcs belong on Doctor Who. One of the great things about RTD's stories was that you could just switch on and chill out. You didn't have to sit there and remember something that happened months ago.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is pretty much how I feel too. I'll probably always prefer RTD to SM, but there is no denying that SM's stories are more solid when he writes single/double stories. When he tries to be really clever, it doesn't work. And it's not just the stories that suffer, the characters suffer too. Most of them are either bland or insufferable. There is no development, and nothing seems to work.

Personally, I don't think story arcs belong on Doctor Who. One of the great things about RTD's stories was that you could just switch on and chill out. You didn't have to sit there and remember something that happened months ago.
    Or, if you did, there would be appropriate explanations or flashbacks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    as they used it in the Name of the Doctor maybe we'll see how clara saved 7 from the massive cliff on ice world. Surely the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers!!!