Options

"CD-Video" media format

Hi.

I hope this is the correct forum for this Thread.

Does anyone have any information on an old format called 'CD-Video' (or sometimes 'CDV')? It was a short lived format in the mid to late 80s, which was basically a CD with around 20 minutes/4 tracks of audio, and 1 video track of around 5 minutes.

I've got an old Tears For Fears single on this format, and I'm trying to find out how to play the video track. My DVD player and PC will both see and play the 4 audio tracks fine, but neither can see the video track at all (even via Windows Explorer on the PC).

I believe it was originally intended for playing the video track on 'laserdisc' players many moons ago, but I didn't have one, and when I rediscovered this CD in a pile of junk recently, I tried it in my DVD player & PC but only got the audio tracks.

The format is different from the 'Video CD' (or VCD) format which my DVD player CAN accomodate. I'm just wondering if anyone has these types of discs and what they use to play the video track. Perhaps there is a driver that can be installed on my PC?

Any help or info will be gratefully received.

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    have you tried running it through VLC...?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

usually when all else fails VLC provides..:cool:

WIKI says that CDV were for playing on laserdisc players. have you tried right clicking on the disc in windows and searching for the vid file to see what format it is..?

try VLC and let me know if it works.
  • Options
    atvmidlandsatvmidlands Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgbgt wrote: »
    Hi.

I hope this is the correct forum for this Thread.

Does anyone have any information on an old format called 'CD-Video' (or sometimes 'CDV')? It was a short lived format in the mid to late 80s, which was basically a CD with around 20 minutes/4 tracks of audio, and 1 video track of around 5 minutes.

I've got an old Tears For Fears single on this format, and I'm trying to find out how to play the video track. My DVD player and PC will both see and play the 4 audio tracks fine, but neither can see the video track at all (even via Windows Explorer on the PC).

I believe it was originally intended for playing the video track on 'laserdisc' players many moons ago, but I didn't have one, and when I rediscovered this CD in a pile of junk recently, I tried it in my DVD player & PC but only got the audio tracks.

The format is different from the 'Video CD' (or VCD) format which my DVD player CAN accomodate. I'm just wondering if anyone has these types of discs and what they use to play the video track. Perhaps there is a driver that can be installed on my PC?

Any help or info will be gratefully received.

Cheers!

CDV is Laserdisc.

CDV was yet another attempt to relaunch the format in the UK with another name.

You can get an LD player off ebay which is the only way to play it