Options

Newspaper column: British people are committing suicide to escape poverty.

FlorianFlorian Posts: 305
Forum Member
British people are committing suicide to escape poverty. Is this what the State wants?

http://poultonblog.dailymail.co.uk/2012/03/people-are-choosing-suicide-to-escape-poverty-is-this-the-states-final-solution.html

Any benefit bashers have any comments to make about vulnerable people committing suicide due to the state?

Also read the reader's comments at the very bottom of the article, it makes for alarming reading.

Comments

• Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Florian wrote: »
    http://poultonblog.dailymail.co.uk/2012/03/people-are-choosing-suicide-to-escape-poverty-is-this-the-states-final-solution.html

Any benefit bashers have any comments to make about vulnerable people committing suicide due to the state?

Not to state the obvious but do you think the "bashers" really care?
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What hyperbole from a third rate hack. Badly written and researched.

People take their life because of depression ect not solely on the basis of so called poverty, I have been on the dole in dire straits and the thought never crossed my mind to end my life.

Even in work money is tight and I have loads of outstanding bills/no money but I'm not going to end my life because of my situation.
  • Options
    Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really pisses me off to read that when the government allow some Jordanian terrorist suspect to live here, who isn't even British and they give him everything, a big house, everything. The way this country treats its citizens is just pathetic, and this country makes me sick.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not a benefit basher. But benefits are not provided to stop people from killing themselves.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That article is almost a year old, why the need to discuss it now.

I have heard DS frown on bring back to life old threads, is there a rule a out bringing up last years DM hyperbole.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    I'm not a benefit basher. But benefits are not provided to stop people from killing themselves.

This, really.

If enough people decided to off themselves because they didn't have a Mercedes or a big-screen TV, should we feel obligated to provide those things as well?

Sure, life can be shit and there's often no safety net but it's only ever up to each individual to decide when to throw in the towel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That article is almost a year old, why the need to discuss it now.

I have heard DS frown on bring back to life old threads, is there a rule a out bringing up last years DM hyperbole.

I also thought stated in the terms and conditions a reply to a thread must be constructive.

Please could you provide a time frame of what news is acceptable to discuss or not discuss? The article is LESS than 12 months old and is STILL relevant.

Also I was not a member of Digital Spy last year.

If you are happy that vulnerable people are committing suicide because of their benefits are being attacked, that is fine. Lets hope you never require benefits.

Do you want the issue covered up because it means the public might have sympathy for people on benefits and people that attack the vulnerable may come across as uncaring and not compassionate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack-UK wrote: »
    It really pisses me off to read that when the government allow some Jordanian terrorist suspect to live here, who isn't even British and they give him everything, a big house, everything. The way this country treats its citizens is just pathetic, and this country makes me sick.

Well just remember it was the Tories who allowed Qatata in back in the 90's and it's the same Tory Party now cutting benefits for vulnerable British people, along with forcing the disabled to go through the ATOS death machine, which is contributing to these deaths.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also thought stated in the terms and conditions a reply to a thread must be constructive.

Please could you provide a time frame of what news is acceptable to discuss or not discuss? The article is LESS than 12 months old and is STILL relevant.

Also I was not a member of Digital Spy last year.

If you are happy that vulnerable people are committing suicide because of their benefits are being attacked, that is fine. Lets hope you never require benefits.

Do you want the issue covered up because it means the public might have sympathy for people on benefits and people that attack the vulnerable may come across as uncaring and not compassionate?

Is there actually an issue? I'm definitely against benefits being cut, but not convinced that people are committing suicide because of cuts.
  • Options
    Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Well just remember it was the Tories who allowed Qatata in back in the 90's and it's the same Tory Party now cutting benefits for vulnerable British people, along with forcing the disabled to go through the ATOS death machine, which is contributing to these deaths.

Well I look forward to leaving this hellhole of a country and never returning! I'll live anywhere but here.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Is there actually an issue? I'm definitely against benefits being cut, but not convinced that people are committing suicide because of cuts.
    They are if they slit their wrists
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    They are if they slit their wrists

:D:D Silly me.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »

I get the distinct impression you won't be allowed to disagree unless you are part of the cover-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack-UK wrote: »
    Well I look forward to leaving this hellhole of a country and never returning! I'll live anywhere but here.

Yup its depressing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ha brilliant! Now people are intentionally twisting my use of the perfectly legitimate term "cover up". Also if people actually read the post you will clearly see that I did NOT state there IS a cover up, I asked the question, "Do you want the issue covered up?", I never stated there is a cover up.

It is probably the same people who do not understand that "conspiracy" is a legitimate (it is not only used by paranoid people) word and the police use it, "conspiracy to commit fraud etc".

Am I now going to be made out to be a tin foil hat wearing paranoid person who thinks EVERYTHING is a cover up?

Do me a favour.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    What hyperbole from a third rate hack. Badly written and researched.

People take their life because of depression ect not solely on the basis of so called poverty, I have been on the dole in dire straits and the thought never crossed my mind to end my life.

Even in work money is tight and I have loads of outstanding bills/no money but I'm not going to end my life because of my situation.

The article isn't about you.

It is based on people who have taken their own life due to poverty and the comments on the article demonstrate just how many others are in a very bad place thanks to ATOS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha brilliant! Now people are intentionally twisting my use of the perfectly legitimate term "cover up". Also if people actually read the post you will clearly see that I did NOT state there IS a cover up, I asked the question, "Do you want the issue covered up?", I never stated there is a cover up.

It is probably the same people who do not understand that "conspiracy" is a legitimate (it is not only used by paranoid people) word and the police use it, "conspiracy to commit fraud etc".

Am I now going to be made out to be a tin foil hat wearing paranoid person who thinks EVERYTHING is a cover up?

Do me a favour.

Bring up the issue if you want. I'm not trying to make anyone appear to be a tinfoil hat wearing paranoid person. But I stand by my post, someone didn't think there was an issue but you tried to twist that meaning.

My original point still stands - the purpose of benefits is not to keep people from killing themselves.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Do me a favour.

Is my internet broken?

I swear, I've read and re-read every post in this thread and I see no sign of anything that might be construed in this way. :confused:
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not poverty that makes someone suicidal. But as a person who suffers mental illness money issues can certainly aggravate my condition. However, it is poor management of my benefits due to my illness which causes debt to rise, which then means I stop opening mail and answering the phone and things spiral until suicide has in the past seemed the only way out. If I wasn't mentally ill no doubt I would have had better coping strategies and things wouldn't have got as bad as they did initially.

However, fear of having disability benefits taken away is causing a lot of mentally ill people to get even sicker, combined with their having lost their cpn's and support workers due to cutbacks. A lot of vulnerable people out there are living very isolated lives and not getting the care they need. If they had physical ailments they would probably get homehelps. But because it's mental they often live in squalor and nobody knows or cares. If I could get a support worker to just come and see me once a month to sit down with me and go through my mail or perhaps chivvy me into doing some housework it would help me so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I swear, I've read and re-read every post in this thread and I see no sign of anything that might be construed in this way. :confused:

Post #14 infers that I am a stating there is a Government conspiracy because of the content of my post #8.

Read post #8 and then post #14.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    British people are committing suicide to escape poverty. Is this what the State wants?

Also read the reader's comments at the very bottom of the article, it makes for alarming reading.

To be honest, I couldn't really care less.

I'd bet those same people wouldn't give a crap about me if the positions were reversed, so I don't see why I should expend emotional energy fretting about their plight. Sure, it's regrettable they might feel the need to commit suicide, but if that's what they want to do, then let them.

Not my problem.

All that said, from what I've heard, ATOS are a piss poor outfit, and most likely not fit for purpose in assessing the medical condition of benefit claimants.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post #14 infers that I am a stating there is a Government conspiracy because of the content of my post #8.

Read post #8 and then post #14.

And then read post 18.
  • Options
    Bandit1200SBandit1200S Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    The current Government wont care at these suicides as it will bring the benefit bill down even further.

And I'm not joking about this opinion of mine that I'm entitled to, they flat out don't give a damn.

This country and the I'm all right jack attitude of many of its citizens is a disgrace.

I'm ashamed to be British.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Survival of the fittest. Evolution, not Revolution.
  • Options
    Bandit1200SBandit1200S Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Survival of the fittest. Evolution, not Revolution.

You just better hope you are going to be fit for life and never have an accident then.

Another example of I'm all-right Jack.