Options

Tired of Spoilers

FluffynpinKFluffynpinK Posts: 208
Forum Member
Is anyone else tired of people/media spoiling storylines?
I don't understand why f.ex. Eastenders are telling people about their big ass storylines and what is going to happen exactly.

I initially joined these forums to read spoilers. I've been avoiding the forums though for months because I felt the excitement to watch wore off because I knew what was going to happen.
However, I sometimes come on DS to read articles and headlines like for example; LUCY KILLER REVEALED NEXT YEAR, LUCY WILL BE MURDERED, EASTENDERS SOAP ACTRESS ON DEATH OF LUCY etc.

I just wish they would conceal it better and especially you guys that write the freaking spoiler in your title....

I miss being completely into the story and being shocked at what I just saw.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont mind unofficial spoilers but do find press statements about upcoming stories a bit odd...creates hype for the show and encourages people to watch though so makes sense for them but as someone who would watch even without hype it is a bit annoying. when they announce people leaving I more or less instantly dont want to see them again...like now anytime Jake is on screen I dont care as he is going soon anyway.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I've wished that I didn't know about Lucy's death before it happened, but it was unavoidable on here with the spoiler threads. Hopefully with the future spoilers, people will keep their threads more considerate with spoiler tags and whatnot. ^_^
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Is anyone else tired of people/media spoiling storylines?
    I don't understand why f.ex. Eastenders are telling people about their big ass storylines and what is going to happen exactly.

I initially joined these forums to read spoilers. I've been avoiding the forums though for months because I felt the excitement to watch wore off because I knew what was going to happen.
    However, I sometimes come on DS to read articles and headlines like for example; LUCY KILLER REVEALED NEXT YEAR, LUCY WILL BE MURDERED, EASTENDERS SOAP ACTRESS ON DEATH OF LUCY etc.

I just wish they would conceal it better and especially you guys that write the freaking spoiler in your title....

I miss being completely into the story and being shocked at what I just saw.

BiB: this is exactly how I found out. I was considering leaving the forums because I genuinely miss being surprised by soaps. I don't want to see every twist coming.
  • Options
    lewisktfclewisktfc Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont understand why, but some spoilers really annoy me, but I still read them all the same..
  • Options
    VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually DS are tactful about spoilers, having spoiler free headlines and deleting threads with spoilers in the title.

But the Lucy storyline is different. The bosses at Eastenders wanted everyone to know. It's the beginning of a storyline, not the climax, and so it brings people in to see it unfold. It's been on the front of magazines, the front page of DS, there will even be ads on the tube about this storyline.
  • Options
    FluffynpinKFluffynpinK Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Usually DS are tactful about spoilers, having spoiler free headlines and deleting threads with spoilers in the title.

But the Lucy storyline is different. The bosses at Eastenders wanted everyone to know. It's the beginning of a storyline, not the climax, and so it brings people in to see it unfold. It's been on the front of magazines, the front page of DS, there will even be ads on the tube about this storyline.

I guess I understand the marketing tactic. However, would it not have been more explosive/brought in more viewers if NO ONE knew Lucy was going to die?
    It would've been a complete shock to everyone and then more viewers would turn into watch the story unfold.

But yeah I just wish they'd keep stuff more secretive, especially the biggest storylines.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess I understand the marketing tactic. However, would it not have been more explosive/brought in more viewers if NO ONE knew Lucy was going to die?
    It would've been a complete shock to everyone and then more viewers would turn into watch the story unfold.

But yeah I just wish they'd keep stuff more secretive, especially the biggest storylines.

But the big question is who kill her.
  • Options
    KellerKeller Posts: 5,970
    Forum Member
    EastEnders has been the only soap to recently keep certain things secret, the surprise return of Jane, the uncertainty surrounding Stacey's return and the complete mystery of Nick's death. Smaller secrets like Lucy's coke habit and shoplifting have been surprises as well.

I have a feeling DTC may have wanted to keep Lucy's death a complete surprise, it's in keeping with his style of story telling and the past few weeks have indicated that this was going to be a shock cliffhanger ending with a big promotional campaign revealing her death and the whodunnit but maybe sources within the media got a hold of it early on and the BBC were forced to announce it with their own words rather than letting the press twist it.

Just imagine how this would have gone if nobody knew about it? I think this forum would have been overloaded!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's very novel when we are surprised by a storyline these days