Peaches Geldof dead (Merged)

Comments

• misty cloudmisty cloud Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peaches felt that he was a distant parent in every way - maybe her husband's parents could step in to help, if help is needed?

For some instinctual reason I hope Bob Geldof doesn't get his hands on the babies.

I think Bob knew exactly what was going on and was distant because he was not going to stand by and condone what she was doing. She was an adult she could not be made by anyone to get help if she didn't want it?

Why the feeling about Bob getting the children?
  • Doctor_DonnaDoctor_Donna Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow! What a terrible thing to say.:o

And why should her family be ashamed?

Totally agree, everyone (with the exception of murders/child abusers) deserve to rest in peace. What a terrible thing to say, show some compassion.

Peaches was obviously deeply troubled and in desperate need of help. However, she made the choice to take drugs, risk her own life and those of her children by taking heroin. What if she was off her head and her young son found her drugs stash? Injected himself? Played with a dirty needle? I find it hard to believe her husband didn't know about any drug use, in which case why on earth did he leave his son on his own with her?

Peaches had a choice and she had money. She could have booked herself into rehab and got sorted. She could have done it on the quiet or come out and said 'I'm struggling and for the sake of my boys I'm going to sort myself out and not end up like my mum.' People would have admired her for her honesty. But she didn't she made the choice to take drugs.

The real victims in this are her 2 boys who'll now grow up like she did and knowing their mother chose drugs over them. And her sisters, who seem on the face of it balanced and well adjusted and have lost a sister, Tiger Lily in particular has suffered more than most.

Growing up with an addict parent gives you 2 choices - end up like them or do your damndest to not - and I speak from experience. Peaches must have experienced Paula off her head and been put at risk by her 'neglect'. Yet she chose to put her sons in exactly the same position.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I said rest in peace I'd like to take that back.

Disgusting woman, her family should be ashamed.

Insensitive and uncalled for.

It never fails to shock me just how vile some posters can be on these forums.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too find it hard to believe that no-one would have known about a heroin/methadone habit. Especially, someone who lived with her.

I'm pretty sure, now that enough info is out, that it was a known quantity for her family, all of them. She may have relapsed, got help, and appeared on the surface at least to be managing things. As someone has pointed out earlier, addicts will/can go to all sort of lengths to persuade and reassure others that everything's fine - and it sounds very much like this is what happened here.

One of the saddest things about addiction is the impact it has on family and close friends. They can impact up to a point - shout, cry, beg, threaten - but the reality is they can do little more than stand by helplessly, waiting, hoping, but knowing relapse is always a possibility.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade Goody proved how taking an atrocious childhood and learning from it so that you don't make the same mistake with your own children and was why I admired her as a mother to those two boys of hers. Jade had nowhere near the secure and privileged upbringing that the Geldof girls had. She had to mother her own mother and feed herself as well. Paula was a drug addict for a relatively short time whereas Jade grew up around her mother's drug paraphernalia and when she hit fame and fortune she used it to build a secure home and life for her children rather than use the excuse of childhood trauma to destroy her health and endanger her future with her children.

It is so sad that nature stepped in and did it for her.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jade Goody proved how taking an atrocious childhood and learning from it so that you don't make the same mistake with your own children and was why I admired her as a mother to those two boys of hers. Jade had nowhere near the secure and privileged upbringing that the Geldof girls had. She had to mother her own mother and feed herself as well. Paula was a drug addict for a relatively short time whereas Jade grew up around her mother's drug paraphernalia and when she hit fame and fortune she used it to build a secure home and life for her children rather than use the excuse of childhood trauma to destroy her health and endanger her future with her children.

Jade could have done more though, for years she was being told of abnormal smear tests but did nothing about it.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the Police are looking for the drug dealer! They suspect the scene was cleaned up the before Police attended the scene. I suspect this may have something to do with her Instagram account being deleted as there may have been a picture with evidence in it she perhaps unwittingly uploaded!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...dealer-3485073
  • PPWWPPWW Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering how long the baby ( and dogs I assume) were left alone for.

Does anyone know the timescale? It said he last call was at 8.15 Sunday evening to a friend. Did she post the twitter pics on the Monday morning? So they could have on,y been alone for a couple of hours, or were those posted Sunday night?

Her husband was at his parents in east London (as reported) and couldn't get hold of her so drove to the house. I'd guess this would take 45 mins - hour ish?

It seems odd that they wouldn't have had contact on the Sunday night, and Monday morning. Most couples text to say goodnite/ morning etc.

I just hope the baby was sleeping and wasn't crying for hours :-(
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peaches felt that he was a distant parent in every way - maybe her husband's parents could step in to help, if help is needed?

For some instinctual reason I hope Bob Geldof doesn't get his hands on the babies.

Why? He's done a good enough job with his other three girls. Just because one child out of four goes off the rails does not mean bad parenting. Maybe he was distant because of Peache's behaviour, there is only so much one can do to help an addict. And tbh we know nothing about Tom's parents or their lifesylle but we do know an awful lot about Bob.
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PPWW wrote: »

Does anyone know the timescale? It said he last call was at 8.15 Sunday evening to a friend. Did she post the twitter pics on the Monday morning? So they could have on,y been alone for a couple of hours, or were those posted Sunday night?

Her husband was at his parents in east London (as reported) and couldn't get hold of her so drove to the house. I'd guess this would take 45 mins - hour ish?

It seems odd that they wouldn't have had contact on the Sunday night, and Monday morning. Most couples text to say goodnite/ morning etc.

I was wondering about the timescale too. It's also not clear why the baby was taken back to peache's and Tom stayed with the elder child at his parent's. There is obviously a lot more to why Tom and the boy's were staying away for the weekend and I don't believe it' to be the work explanation either. It does sound as if she took the heroin whilst the children were away (perhaps the eve before) but obviously something went very wrong. Has a time of death even been established?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPWW wrote: »

Peaches spent Saturday afternoon until Sunday morning on her own at home.

"Throughout this period she maintained telephone contact with family and friends, including contact with Thomas' mother to arrange a family activity, but this was cancelled," DCI Fotheringham said.

"Peaches maintained contact with family and friends throughout Sunday and at 5pm Thomas's father Keith Cohen took the youngest child, Phaedra, back to Wrotham and spent half an hour with Peaches before leaving the child with her."

The last contact with Peaches is believed to have been at 7.45pm on the Sunday when she had a telephone conversation with a friend.

Mr Cohen tried to contact his wife on Monday morning and then drove to the family home with his mother, Sue, and 23-month-old son Astala, arriving at around 1.30pm.

"Thomas entered the property and located Peaches in the spare bedroom," DCI Fotheringham said.

"She was located on the edge of the bed with one leg hanging down to the floor and the other leg tucked underneath her. She was slumped across the bed."

http://news.sky.com/story/1253214/peaches-geldof-death-heroin-likely-contributed
  • SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know actual figures but I would imagine there are thousands & thousands of people suffering with addiction, whether it be illegal drugs, prescribed drugs or alcohol, we can't just generalise & remove every child whose parent is is an addict, perhaps offering more help & support would be a better solution because, if as you say, every child is taken in to care, what about the addicts then, do we just stand back & watch them spiral totally out of control?
    As for your last comment (BIB) I can't disagree more, how can 2 children who were clearly loved & adored by their Mother, be better off without her?
    I'm not saying a child's safety isn't the priority, of course it is but I suspect if Peaches had been given more help to deal with her problems, this thread wouldn't even exist.

You are arguing that children should be left with addicts for the good of the addicts? That they should be uncared for, suffer emotional abuse, neglect and often physical and even sexual abuse which goes with it? You are saying that a child's safety is not the priority.

It's not a matter of Peaches 'not getting support'. There was plenty of support available to her in the form of a partner, family, friends, the NHS and in her case her money could have employed people or bought private health care.

The reason why Peaches was 'not getting support' was because she didn't want support, she wanted to carry on taking drugs.

I think people who think that she 'loved and adored' her children are absolutely deluded if they think she cared more about them than she did about herself and drugs. She projected an image which wasn't true but some people refuse to accept this. Look at Joan Crawford, she was another supposed 'perfect mother' and look how she turned out. Behind closed doors she was obviously very different. But a loving, caring mother wouldn't leave her child dumped in cot or crawling round on the floor with the dogs while she got off her face in drugs.

I think some people have to learn that an instagram feed of arty pictures means nothing compared to the hard truth that she abandoned her child to take drugs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Jade Goody had run up massive debts. Her children inherited hardly anything because it all went to pay off her debts. And she only earned the money that paid the debts of because she got cancer. She was also going out with the awful Jack Tweed who was regularly arrested and had been in trouble for fighting when drunk herself. She bragged about getting them a good education but she couldn't have kept them in that school, she didn't have the money.

If she had survived the likelihood is those two boys would have been dragged up in a council flat with a succession of 'uncles' and an unstable life.
  • zonazona Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    If I said rest in peace I'd like to take that back.

Disgusting woman, her family should be ashamed.

No self respecting person would want your poisoned arrow sentiments. With well wishes such as yours are best kept to yourself!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a horrible thing to say. Her family are heartbroken and addicts are very secretive. Chances are she hid it well.

Totally agree with you on that. It sounds like she waited until Tom was away to take drugs and he probably knew nothing about it. If she had been open with people I doubt she would have done it while alone with Phaedra. But she was prepared to let Phaedra suffer to keep her dirty little secret.

Presumably the reason there was no nanny to take care of him while she was off her face was because she wanted to preserve her precious public image of the perfect mother and didn't want anybody around who might find out her secret.
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    I suppose now social services will take the children into care ? ....If a woman living on a council estate or on benefits was found dead due to heroin with two small children in the next room I'm sure they would be obliged to step in. Don't think it will happen in this case though .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    I suppose now social services will take the children into care ? ....If a woman living on a council estate or on benefits was found dead due to heroin with two small children in the next room I'm sure they would be obliged to step in. Don't think it will happen in this case though .

They will be talking to Tom. Provided he is not on drugs himself and is capable of taking care of the children there would be no reason to take them into care. Keeping the family together would be the priority. Even if he was then they would hopefully stay with family members, but I doubt he is.
  • zonazona Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Smallalien wrote: »
    You are arguing that children should be left with addicts for the good of the addicts? That they should be uncared for, suffer emotional abuse, neglect and often physical and even sexual abuse which goes with it? You are saying that a child's safety is not the priority.

It's not a matter of Peaches 'not getting support'. There was plenty of support available to her in the form of a partner, family, friends, the NHS and in her case her money could have employed people or bought private health care.

The reason why Peaches was 'not getting support' was because she didn't want support, she wanted to carry on taking drugs.

I think people who think that she 'loved and adored' her children are absolutely deluded if they think she cared more about them than she did about herself and drugs. She projected an image which wasn't true but some people refuse to accept this. Look at Joan Crawford, she was another supposed 'perfect mother' and look how she turned out. Behind closed doors she was obviously very different. But a loving, caring mother wouldn't leave her child dumped in cot or crawling round on the floor with the dogs while she got off her face in drugs.

I think some people have to learn that an instagram feed of arty pictures means nothing compared to the hard truth that she abandoned her child to take drugs.

How do we know Peaches was not getting support or sought support. Her doctor probably knows everything about her. She may have been weaning her self off heroin by taking it less frequently - much like smokers reduce their cigarette intake. It is just that sometimes the damage has been done and its too late. That is another point that needs to be made about drugs, cigarettes etc. Each person's genetics are different and many people take these substances all their lives - or for the best part of it and that is not the thing that kills them in the end. As we do not really know our tolerance levels before embarking on these things, then it is much wiser to have a blanket band on such things as drugs. That is why the government will never legalise Cannabis, although it is so widely taken. The truth is that someone somewhere has been mentally affected by Cannabis and it has led to depression, crime and suicide in some. We just do not know - but many people still advocate for its legalization.
  • Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member

No indeed I am not saying children should be left with parents for the good of the addicts, my point was, it seemed a rather sweeping generalisation to say every child of every addict, regardless of what their addiction is should instantly be taken into care.
    While, of course the children should be the priority, I don't believe every child of every addict is at risk of "emotional abuse, neglect and often physical and even sexual abuse" obviously there are sadly cases of this & not for a nano second do I think they should stay with the parents but I believe there are also cases where the addict can be helped without breaking up a family.
    As for your opinion of Peaches, nobody can know what goes on behind closed doors but imo she loved her children dearly, yes, she should never have taken drugs when they were around but I don't think PG was in the correct frame of mind to make decisions that the majority of people would do. I think underneath all the smiles & claims of never been happier was a very troubled young lady.
    As for not getting support, if the link someone posted earlier is correct in its facts, she was indeed seeking help.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    zona wrote: »
    How do we know Peaches was not getting support or sought support. Her doctor probably knows everything about her. She may have been weaning her self off heroin by taking it less frequently - much like smokers reduce their cigarette intake. It is just that sometimes the damage has been done and its too late. That is another point that needs to be made about drugs, cigarettes etc. Each person's genetics are different and many people take these substances all their lives - or for the best part of it and that is not the thing that kills them in the end. As we do not really know our tolerance levels before embarking on these things, then it is much wiser to have a blanket band on such things as drugs. That is why the government will never legalise Cannabis, although it is so widely taken. The truth is that someone somewhere has been mentally affected by Cannabis and it has led to depression, crime and suicide in some. We just do not know - but many people still advocate for its legalization.

From what has been reported we do know that she was seeking help as she was visiting rehab and was being prescribed a heroin substitute, methadone but what we also know is whilst in sole care for her youngest son she took heroin and a significant amount that ended up causing her death. We can surmise this wasn't unusual for her but seemingly her family including her husband weren't aware.

I just think that if this was a working class woman living on a council estate all we would hear is a response of disgust and horror and cries of what is the world coming to particularly from the Mail who seem to be reporting this without any criticism whatsoever. Why :confused: I'm not sure but I know the hypocrisy of it all sickens me.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Jade could have done more though, for years she was being told of abnormal smear tests but did nothing about it.

On the contrary, she had a myriad of tests done in the two years prior and nothing showed up, including spells in hospital. She was failed.
  • mvlocamvloca Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've never done heroin, absolutely not, I have no interest in it or any other class A's. And I don't have any children. But I have done drugs, and really, other than on a hallucinogen (e.g. acid) you can actually "pull it together". You don't just get a hit and then fall asleep, you'd be awake to feel the effects. What I mean is, although deeply deeply disturbing and selfish she wouldn't necessarily have been "out of it" and unable to attend to her son. She wouldn't have been super mum but I can imagine she'd be able to change a nappy.

Also you're all presuming she was shooting up, we don't know, she could have been smoking it which is still stupid but takes the needles out of the equation. And don't think of the addict on the street - trying to score not to get high but to feel normal - it sounds like she's been quietly using for a while. That could mean one hit a day. It is possible, great artists have been hooked on smoking opium and been prolific in their work.

I just mean… well everyone is saying she's selfish (in essence that's true) but painting her like some "Trainspotting" junkie, like the addicts that left the baby to die is not necessarily fair. I don't think it means she chose drugs over her children. Addiction is a hard thing to understand but I very clearly understand that anyone that takes heroin is deeply troubled. Noone does drugs like that for a laugh, it's so intrinsically tangled with much deeper problems.

I never really liked her but I do have great sympathy for her. Addiction in any form is a difficult beast.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    mvloca wrote: »
    I've never done heroin, absolutely not, I have no interest in it or any other class A's. And I don't have any children. But I have done drugs, and really, other than on a hallucinogen (e.g. acid) you can actually "pull it together". You don't just get a hit and then fall asleep, you'd be awake to feel the effects. What I mean is, although deeply deeply disturbing and selfish she wouldn't necessarily have been "out of it" and unable to attend to her son. She wouldn't have been super mum but I can imagine she'd be able to change a nappy.

Also you're all presuming she was shooting up, we don't know, she could have been smoking it which is still stupid but takes the needles out of the equation. And don't think of the addict on the street - trying to score not to get high but to feel normal - it sounds like she's been quietly using for a while. That could mean one hit a day. It is possible, great artists have been hooked on smoking opium and been prolific in their work.

I just mean… well everyone is saying she's selfish (in essence that's true) but painting her like some "Trainspotting" junkie, like the addicts that left the baby to die is not necessarily fair. I don't think it means she chose drugs over her children. Addiction is a hard thing to understand but I very clearly understand that anyone that takes heroin is deeply troubled. Noone does drugs like that for a laugh, it's so intrinsically tangled with much deeper problems.

I never really liked her but I do have great sympathy for her. Addiction in any form is a difficult beast.

Why :confused: They were drug addicts who lost control of their lives and senses due to their drug addiction just like she did. What is the difference :confused: How rich you are or famous or who your parents are because I can't see any other difference quite frankly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zona wrote: »

If she was getting proper support which she was taking seriously she would have been taking a substitute, not injecting heroin. Plus she wouldn't have had to keep it a secret to the point where she would have been taking drugs at home on her own with a baby alone in the other room.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom's dad is apparently a social worker if the DM are to be believed, so I find it highly unlikely he would have taken Phaedra there if he knew the truth.