ITV Guilty over BGT Stunt Dog

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OFCOM has ruled that ITV's Britain's Got Talent misled viewers over the use of a stunt dog and broke broadcasting regulations.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2015/aug/17/britains-got-talent-misled-viewers-over-stunt-double-dog-rules-ofcom

Comments

• SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whoever it was that came second must be a bit miffed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Wonder if all the people (including myself) who voted for the winner will get our money back.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if all the people (including myself) who voted for the winner will get our money back.

If you read the Guardian article you will find ITV have offered to refund your money but doesn't say how you reclaim it.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck with that, even if they offer you your money back, they will make you jump through so many hoops to even get close. It's the old refund con, they hope you give up.

Let this be a lesson to those who perpetuate the scam that is phone voting by premium rate number.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    If you read the Guardian article you will find ITV have offered to refund your money but doesn't say how you reclaim it.
    Call a premium rate help line perhaps? ;)
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    Good luck with that, even if they offer you your money back, they will make you jump through so many hoops to even get close. It's the old refund con, they hope you give up.

Let this be a lesson to those who perpetuate the scam that is phone voting by premium rate number.

Could I use a secret stunt double to jump through the hoops for me?
  • Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised animals and children are even allowed to take part in these things.
  • inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course the second placed person really did pull a playing card from a lemon
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

refund
  • Greg_ScottGreg_Scott Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    In other news Paul Daniels doesn't use real magic
  • Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is great new and to think that all her defenders were attacking anyone who dared to say that they felt conned by it.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SXTony wrote: »
    I'll bet they feel rough.
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Could I use a secret stunt double to jump through the hoops for me?

Probably the best way of getting a refund.

Nicely done.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People will have the satisfaction of knowing that it will cost ITV far more than 15p to refund the 15p.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that the 2nd dog was actually a small man in a dog suit!

Or may in fact have actually been a large cat in a small man suit inside the dog suit!

And we all know how easily a rabbit can be dressed up to look like a cat...

In fact I'm having doubts about the result of the 2015 General Election, the moon landings and also was Princess Diana actually JFK?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I heard that the 2nd dog was actually a small man in a dog suit!

Or may in fact have actually been a large cat in a small man suit inside the dog suit!

And we all know how easily a rabbit can be dressed up to look like a cat...

In fact I'm having doubts about the result of the 2015 General Election, the moon landings and also was Princess Diana actually JFK?

Don't be silly. We all know rabbits feet are far too big to walk across a tightrope. They would be told to hop it. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    SXTony wrote: »

Ironically it was a magician who made a £5 note appear in a lemon, so not an honest act either. Some people would probably have complained that there was a hole in the bottom and it wasn't done by magic.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV plc wrote:
    All refunds will be sent via cheque to the address stated, and made out to the name provided, once we have verified the details of your telephone or mobile vote(s).

How much does it cost to call in? Surely the cost of postage and processing is going to cost them more than the refund is worth?

I guess that's ultimately an incentive not to do it again
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    How much does it cost to call in? Surely the cost of postage and processing is going to cost them more than the refund is worth?

I guess that's ultimately an incentive not to do it again

50p .
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    They should give the refund to Battersea Dogs Home
  • Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really a matter of if the vote charged or was free (In this case it was both anyway).

What the whole thing is about that if as has been proven, viewers were misled before they voted, they therefore may not have voted for the dog act had they known.

And as the vote was very close between first and second place, that may have changed the winner.

So we now have this fiasco where the one they are carrying on with might not be the actual winner and so the whole thing is tainted. If they introduce her as the winner of BGT, that too may come into question as to whether she is/was?

They screwed up big time on this nonsense that they didn't go out of their way to deceive when they deliberately hid the other dog at the end for no reason than to make out that their was only one dog, doesn't fly with anyone who isn't a fan of hers.
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully now people will stop being brainwashed into taking part in these Cowell moneyspinners. It shows the odious nan and his production company for what they really are. Loathesone.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the headlines should read
    BRAIN DEAD MORONS DUPED BY A COUPLE OF ANIMALS

next up
    BRAIN DEAD MORONS DUPED BY MAGICIANS BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T GET THE TRICK
  • BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And of course the second placed person really did pull a playing card from a lemon

No comparison between the two acts.

The 'magician' was a conjuror. People KNOW what he does is a trick. His skill is his ability to conceal it.

The 'dog woman' did stage routines with a dog. I say "a" dog because that's what we, the viewers, were led to believe. It was one particular dog. With a name. We were never told the woman was using different dogs for different routines.

If you want to justify this deception by citing the magician, we might as well allow "singers" miming to backing tracks recorded by other people.

The producers of BGT are a disgrace. Can you imagine the furore if this had been a BBC show?
  • DarthGoreDarthGore Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone who thinks ITV will learn from this doesn't understand the mindset of TV execs!

this is exactly what they want, people discussing it so when the next series is launched, there will be a "Hey, remember last year's controversy? What do you think will happen now?"

the X Factor is the same, years ago the voting stats were leaked proving that the judges tactical voting or decisions to send someone home were done to prevent the "talking points" from being sent home by public vote

at no point will anyone change how they act, this is how they think and there are people dumb enough to fall for it. if anyone was genuinely offended/disappointed then I'd recommend boycotting the channel altogether, but we all know the same mugs will just come back next year!

"reality" TV is not real, it's just another way to present a predetermined outcome but make some money from the viewers - you're there for profit, nothing else matters