Hermes and Yodel deliveries

Comments

• J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had Hermes deliver two boxes from Wilkos a couple of days ago. He knocked and left one on the doorstep - when I got to the door he was running back up the path for the second (and I do mean running). The second was quite heavy so he put it in the hall for me with several warnings that it was heavy. Then he sprinted back up the path. A few minutes after he'd gone I got an email telling me they would be delivering that day! It's the first time I have had Hermes so have no complaints from that.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    I had Hermes deliver two boxes from Wilkos a couple of days ago. He knocked and left one on the doorstep - when I got to the door he was running back up the path for the second (and I do mean running). The second was quite heavy so he put it in the hall for me with several warnings that it was heavy. Then he sprinted back up the path. A few minutes after he'd gone I got an email telling me they would be delivering that day! It's the first time I have had Hermes so have no complaints from that.
    I'm worried about getting the same courier as last time, as the quality of service does seem to come down to the individual courier rather than a general company policy.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm worried about getting the same courier as last time, as the quality of service does seem to come down to the individual courier rather than a general company policy.

I think the same applies to most places though. If I get my regular Royal Mail man everything is fine but when he was on holiday it I had a real saga over getting a parcel delivered. Left a card without knocking - I know because I was waiting for it. Then didn't come the day I had arranged for a redelivery - then came the next day instead when I wasn't expecting him. Finally got it the following Monday (6 days later) when my usual man was back off holiday.

Personally I don't drive but if I did I would choose the collect option as being the simplest.
  • Hershal_GreeneHershal_Greene Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They always arrive before midday for me.

A man and woman deliver my stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They always arrive before midday for me.

A man and woman deliver my stuff.

All the other delivery companies normally arrive before midday here too, it is just Hermes that normally come anytime from 8am to 8pm.
  • FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use Hermes a lot, both as a sender and a receiver. No problems whatsoever. Love my Hermes man!

I get a lot of deliveries as I run my own business from home, 90% of the companies I buy from use DPD.. They're brilliant with their tracking system, as are interlink who use the same system. I've never had any issues with a delivery from any company.
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    I'm another one who likes DPD. I buy computer components from a small independent retailer and he uses DPD, and because I live out in the middle of nowhere he'll call me on his delivery before me with an ETA of when he'll be arriving. I don't think it's ever been more than 10 minutes past the early estimate. I don't know if all their deliveries are like this, but he is what a courier should be like.
  • viajero_americaviajero_america Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    They named UK's worst parcel delivery firms
  • moonlandingsmoonlandings Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think both are great.
  • charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As said earlier in thread I was waiting for 2 things from Amazon. 1 via DPD and the other Hermes. The DPD package came on thursday even though the expected delivery date was between saturday and this coming thursday . The Hermes package is due tomorrow according to Amazon even though Hermes have had it since last wednesday. The tracking on hermes site seems rather inadequate to say the least as all it tells me is "order generated". Just have to wait and see i guess. be handy if they come today though seeing its a new golf bag and Im playing at 4pm today
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,202
    Forum Member
    When I order from The Lego Shop website, I get Yodel.

It's really annoying, because whoever used to deliver for Lego was so much better at delivering my items. You didn't need to stay in all day, as they would leave the packages somewhere (sheltered) in the garden. Then Yodel came along. Seriously, useless is an understatement. They're service is ****ing appalling!

I adore Lego, but Yodel is so bad, they put me off wanting to order from The Lego Shop ever again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sat in all day for tuesday delivery from Hermes. Still not here :-(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Sat in all day for tuesday delivery from Hermes. Still not here :-(

You have until 8pm at the latest. Do you have a tracking number?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have until 8pm at the latest. Do you have a tracking number?

Yes i do and it hasnt been updates since wednesday. Still says "order generated". Its Amazon who say itll be here today. Seems Herpes have other ideas though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes i do and it hasnt been updates since wednesday. Still says "order generated". Its Amazon who say itll be here today. Seems Herpes have other ideas though
    Sorry to hear that. It should say 'With courier' or something similar if the courier has it for delivery today.
    Let us know if you get it, Hope it's there before 8pm/

BTW is it Amazon who are sending the item or a Marketplace seller?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. It should say 'With courier' or something similar if the courier has it for delivery today.
    Let us know if you get it, Hope it's there before 8pm/

BTW is it Amazon who are sending the item or a Marketplace seller?

Just checked, its Amazon EU Sarl. Going away out soon to see Kevin Bridges in concert so wont be here for it. Oh well, god kows when Ill get it. Can only agree with the OP now really
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just checked, its Amazon EU Sarl. Going away out soon to see Kevin Bridges in concert so wont be here for it. Oh well, god kows when Ill get it. Can only agree with the OP now really

If it is safe, put a note on your door suggesting where they can put your parcel (if there is somewhere safe for them to put it.)

Otherwise hope they deliver it to a neighbour and put a note through your door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL, went on Herpes live chat for an update. Nothing to do with them apparently, take it up with Amazon they say
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    LOL, went on Herpes live chat for an update. Nothing to do with them apparently, take it up with Amazon they say

Yes as others have said in the thread, the delivery company isn't who you need to talk to, it is the people who you bought the item from.

If the item isn't delivered today, then you can get a refund on the delivery charge from Amazon if you phone them up to complain.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,918
    Forum Member
    Doesn't matter which you choose, it's all down to the local person who does the last few miles.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    Doesn't matter which you choose, it's all down to the local person who does the last few miles.

Which is why delivery firms that employ delivery drivers rather than have self employed drivers are better.
  • MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I study with the OU and they started using Yodel a couple of years ago to deliver the textbooks and DVDs. I missed the delivery (which I was always going to as I'm at work all day) and didn't have any secure place for a parcel to be left. I phoned and said I wouldn't be there and what would happen to my stuff. They said it would be taken to my nearest depot - a warehouse outside of Cambridge. With no transport I had no way of getting there (50 mile round trip).

I phoned the OU and asked why they'd started using Yodel as there was now no way I'd receive my stuff (that I'd paid for). Previously, they used Royal Mail/Parcelforce so any missed deliveries were taken to the Post Office round the corner to be collected at a convenient time for me (they had one late evening and were open Saturdays). The woman said as a "one off" due to me being at work, having no transport and Yodel refusing to narrow down a delivery time she'd send it Royal Mail. They must be cheap as I can see no advantage to using them. Certainly not in the best interests of customers.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never had a problem with either company thankfully.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes as others have said in the thread, the delivery company isn't who you need to talk to, it is the people who you bought the item from.

If the item isn't delivered today, then you can get a refund on the delivery charge from Amazon if you phone them up to complain.

I contacted Amazon and true enough the problem does seem to be at their end despite them saying the package was in Hermes hands since Wednesday. Guy I spoke to promised I'll have it within 24-48 hours yet I've now had email saying they aren't sending another and I've to wait til 11th September to see if if shows up. If it doesn't then they'll either send another or I can cancel the order then. Seriously not ****ing happy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I contacted Amazon and true enough the problem does seem to be at their end despite them saying the package was in Hermes hands since Wednesday. Guy I spoke to promised I'll have it within 24-48 hours yet I've now had email saying they aren't sending another and I've to wait til 11th September to see if if shows up. If it doesn't then they'll either send another or I can cancel the order then. Seriously not ****ing happy

Sorry to hear that, it sounds like a mess.

What delivery type did you choose?

I always go for next day delivery before 1am. It is more expensive but I get more peace of mind.

I've got an order coming today via DPD. Not had a delivery tracking number yet (normally have it as soon as order is sent) but hopefully will have it by 9am this morning. Tracking number that is.