Top Gear

Comments

• InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    I think I read somewhere that a whole season on the BBC was budgeted at like £7 million or something, so this is silly money in comparison. Hamster and May arn't doing so bad as well

Yeah as bizarre as it probably seems to them... Clarkson losing his temper that night has benefitted all of them financially and given them a chance to make a show they'd have never been able to make on the BBC. Funny how things work out sometimes.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I just don't see how Chris can make Top gear, TFI Friday and host his daily radio 2 programme. There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to do all three.
  • davejc64davejc64 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    I suspect Evans won't be able to cope with the commitment and will throw a hissy fit and run off like he did before.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new Top Gear will bomb.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to the relaunch of what had become a tired and predictable programme.
    Not sorry to see the back of the fat middle aged bully and the little one who stands at the back egging him on.
    Hope there is still work for May on the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the relaunch of what had become a tired and predictable programme.
    Not sorry to see the back of the fat middle aged bully and the little one who stands at the back egging him on.
    Hope there is still work for May on the BBC.
    You will have a egoistical presenter instead who only wants to talk about himself. Give me Clarkson over Evans any day.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    You will have a egoistical presenter instead who only wants to talk about himself. Give me Clarkson over Evans any day.

One man's meat is another man's poison. You and others of your ilk forget this when you fire off baseless predictions like "the new Top Gear will bomb".

Personally I love Chris Evans. He's been responsible for some absolute Zeitgeist TV and radio. Millions of others agree, hence his record number of listeners on R2 in recent times and the massive reaction to the return of TFI Friday.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    delete
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    davejc64 wrote: »
    I suspect Evans won't be able to cope with the commitment and will throw a hissy fit and run off like he did before.
    Or he will phone in his scripted studio links and that will be the extent of his involvement.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,923
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    THE streaming service has delivered a slap in the face to the trio saying rival Amazon Prime have spent too much securing their new show.

Let's hope it wasn't with a penis. :o

I don't believe the reported price paid, unless it includes other projects.

Considering the vast sum reported it didn't seem to cause any interest in tinsel town.
    Forum Member
    Digital Spy report a Netflix boss as saying...
    "We have past episodes of Top Gear, so we have a pretty good gauge of what audiences like," Netflix's Chief Product Officer Neil Hunt told us.

"Our buying decisions tend to be somewhat data-driven. We have a lot of data to get the deals we want, so there we go.

"Clearly it wasn't worth the money to make the deal... I think they sold themselves for way more money [than they're worth]."

But....
    UPDATED: Following our interview with Neil Hunt, Netflix's Chief Product Officer has added in a separate statement sent to Digital Spy: "There is an audience for everything and it is not up to us to judge if Amazon has paid too much or not."
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny, because that's exactly what he did!
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a best of next Sunday on BBC2. Seems they are still trying to flog the old series.

I think the repeats on Dave will keep them in the limelight for a few years yet.
    Forum Member
    There's a best of next Sunday on BBC2. Seems they are still trying to flog the old series.

I think the repeats on Dave will keep them in the limelight for a few years yet.

Don't they normally have a best of each series anyway?
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    I don't believe the reported price paid, unless it includes other projects.
    It's like when you hear a corporation have bought a small start-up company for billions, and the assumption is that the guy who started the company has walked away with that money in cash. It never works that way.

Whatever figure you hear about Clarkson's new show will include cash payments, potential royalty fees over the coming years, the budget to make the show, potential money from future merchandising, the performance of the show over time, etc. In other words it's a theoretical amount based upon what will happen in the future if everything is perfect and the show is the biggest thing in the world.

The reality is that they'll make a few million, but not the sort of fortunes they're trying to make out, especially after all the agent and legal fees, and the various tax men get their slices.

Remember before the recession when Katie Price was supposedly worth £700,000,000 and was set to become a billionaire soon? Or so she said whilst promoting her latest (auto)biography.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Never mind Dave, BBC 3 has been showing TG (a different ep. ) more or less every evening for weeks now. Much better than Dave, as they're not cut (at least, not to fit in ads, I wouldn't necessarily know if they're cut for content). They've recently finished the final Clarkson series, including the Best Of. In retrospect, it was interesting seeing the very last ep. previewed in the first episode.

I wonder if this extended run on BBC 3 is some sort of 'last hurrah' for the Clarkson Years on the BBC before an embargo comes in prior to the Evans Years? :p I can't imagine they'll show them again when the show relaunches.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the DM Zoe Ball is in the running to co-host with Chris.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the DM Zoe Ball is in the running to co-host with Chris.

Zoe Ball? Jesus wept.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. It did however give me an idea. They should have hired three women to present it. Sod Chris Evans. Get three women doing it. That would have been interesting to see. Get three fast car loving girls... Jodi Kidd, Sabine Schmitz, Vicki Butler-Henderson. Something like that. And run with it. Have them review cars... race cars.. the lot. It might have been different enough to stand a chance in the post Clarkson era for the show. I'd have tuned in for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The story seems to have originated in the Mirror yesterday evening

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/zoe-ball-pole-position-join-6433449

Meanwhile this was from the morning:
    The Stig holds the future of Top Gear in his gloved hands as bosses give him the power to choose Chris Evans' co-hosts.

As the BBC works to put together a shortlist of potential stars to join the red-headed presenter on the new-look show, it has been confirmed that the lucky few will face the mysterious racer as he makes the big decision.

Thousands of fans from across the world have submitted 30-second videos to audition for the amazing opportunity, and two months after the closing date it seems the BBC is ready to move to the next stage of its hunt.

According to the Daily Star, those who make it onto the shortlist will meet The Stig - who will then make the final decision.

A spokesman for the Beeb said: "We're currently whittling down a shortlist to meet The Stig."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/stig-choosing-top-gear-co-6429339
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically what they're saying is they're getting someone with recognised relevant technical skills and experience to assess the similar technical skills of the possible job candidates? Doesn't seem a particularly strange part of an interview process for a high-profile job to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    So basically what they're saying is they're getting someone with recognised relevant technical skills and experience to assess the similar technical skills of the possible job candidates? Doesn't seem a particularly strange part of an interview process for a high-profile job to me.

I didn't say otherwise.

Just posting something that might act as a background to the Zoe Ball story (indicating that they have a shortlist and are close to a decision).
  • chandlerpchandlerp Posts: 4,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see, despite not renewing their contracts, the BBC still can't resist showing The Best Of Top Gear last night.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you expect them to do with the hundreds of hours of programmes? Burn them all?
This discussion has been closed.