Options

14 years since Princess Diana died.

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know different?

I didn't say she or a friend didn't, I just asked.
  • Options
    cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diana was okay really. A lost girl trapped i believe (in her own sanity).
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    I dont miss her doe-eyed 'poor me' routines on TV to be honest.

Yep. That Panorama interview lost me any respect I had for the woman.
  • Options
    NansbreadNansbread Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    do people still have shrines in their house for Diana?
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    I've no doubt that the papers would have turned on Diana had she not died.

And the outpouring of false grief when she died was completely ridiculous. Earlier in the thread someone said their legs went from under them and they were unable to do their shopping. I mean, really? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nansbread wrote: »
    do people still have shrines in their house for Diana?

I actually know someone who does. Well it's not really a shrine but a doll and a memorial plate/plaque thing.
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member

:

The papers had already started to turn against her. On the day she died there was a scathing article in the Mail on Sunday. The following week there was an awful, sickly, sycophantic load of guff from the same reporter. I thought the first article was pretty mean, particularly as Diana had no form of redress-the Royals never do. I thought the second article even worse. I would have had more respect for the reporter had they stood by their original words, but no, it followed the country's odd mourning-fest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The papers had already started to turn against her. On the day she died there was a scathing article in the Mail on Sunday. The following week there was an awful, sickly, sycophantic load of guff from the same reporter. I thought the first article was pretty mean, particularly as Diana had no form of redress-the Royals never do. I thought the second article even worse. I would have had more respect for the reporter had they stood by their original words, but no, it followed the country's odd mourning-fest.

A lot of reporters are complete hypocrites!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand people crying over her death back then. If you see somebody such as Diana on TV all the time, you can't help but feel that you somewhat know her. Feeling sad is normal, I think. Lots of people were sad when Michael Jackson died or when so many other celebrities died.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagpipes wrote: »
    I dont miss her doe-eyed 'poor me' routines on TV to be honest.
    Me neither. I think that in many ways she was an incredible and beautiful young woman but her ego-centric outlook and manipulation was also incredibale
    They had already turned some of them. One journalist had a peice that was too late to pull something like "Bye Bye Diana - don't hurry back":eek:
    And the outpouring of false grief when she died was completely ridiculous. Earlier in the thread someone said their legs went from under them and they were unable to do their shopping. I mean, really? :rolleyes:
    I don't think it was false but it actually scared the shit out of me as I thought that I was trapped in a city of headcases.
    We seem to be living in a culture that is uncomfortable with people showing their distress at the death of a loved one, whilst at the same time having hysterics over someone that they never met.
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A line, in only fools and horses was actually cut out of respect for princess Diana.

Del says: 'take 1 wrong move, and you could be shaking hands with princess Di' - this is cut on video and DVD releases of 'Rodney Come Home' the 1990 christmas special.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    A line, in only fools and horses was actually cut out of respect for princess Diana.

Del says: 'take 1 wrong move, and you could be shaking hands with princess Di' - this is cut on video and DVD releases of 'Rodney Come Home' the 1990 christmas special.

Not many people have a good word to say about the Only Fools and Horses DVD sets on amazon.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    Princess Diana dead? Oh my God! Anyone got a link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are just horrible :(
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are just horrible :(
    She wasn't that bad was she??
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »

Well being given a £50,000 flat in Coleherne Court for her 18th birthday (back in 1979) hardly suggests a life of deprivation. To get it into perspective those flats currently sell for over £2 million.

I wouldn't call that being spoiled as such, it's more that her parents can afford to.
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't call that being spoiled as such, it's more that her parents can afford to.
    Her parents - or rather her father - could afford to spoil her, so he did.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That week after her death was absolutly ridiculous. Tony Blair got right up my nose, he loved the attention he got that week. It was almost funny watching the people going so OTT wailing and thrashing about. I was sorry for the two boys that they lost their mother but I was really angry with the GBP the way they builled the royal family down to London, in the cold light of day they were doing the right thing in keeping those boys away from that circus in london at the time.

I was not proud to be british that week. The less said about that Hypocrite Earl Spencer the better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ignazio wrote: »
    Her parents - or rather her father - could afford to spoil her, so he did.

That's still not spoiling if you have the money and can afford.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the establishment had already began a media campaign to discredit her... she was described as a loose cannon...
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have to disagree there. My parents could afford to buy me a house outright by the time I was 21. They didn't, to a certain degree they believed I should make my own way in the world. I say in a certain way because I didn't leave home until I was 28. In fact for last 4 years I lived at home I had the house to myself because my mum moved to Scotland. I had to pay the household bills though, although she did pay for the house/buildings insurance.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

So the kids of the rich can't be spolit? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    batgirl wrote: »
    So the kids of the rich can't be spolit? :confused:

Depends on how rich you are and what you can afford to splash out on, to some buying a flat is nothing whereas to me it's a mindless spend.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    Depends on how rich you are and what you can afford to splash out on, to some buying a flat is nothing whereas to me it's a mindless spend.

So if I win the lottery at the weekend and buy my boy a Ferrari (or 2) he won't be spolit. Cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A lot of people can be spoilt without being part of a rich family. You don't have to be part of a wealthy family in order to be spoilt.
This discussion has been closed.