Options

"Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close"

cherbrinkleyfancherbrinkleyfan Posts: 1,939
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The trailer has just been released for this film that was based on a book about a boy's loss of his dad due to the 9/11 attacks.

I didn't realise 9/11 would be featured as much as the trailer suggests (I thought the film started in the aftermath of it).

It looks good though :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it could be a bit sad too !!!
  • Options
    RIPfatpatRIPfatpat Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    I want to see this but something tells me 9/11 is being used as NOTHING BUT a plot device..
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Read the book, avoid the film seems to be the word at the moment.

I can only confirm the former.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw the trailer for this today, looked quite good I thought. :)
  • Options
    M.D.N.AM.D.N.A Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    It's out tomorrow, i've read no reviews. Not sure whether this will be good or not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to be some animosity towards this film, for some unknown reason.
    The fact of the matter is, it's a beautifully crafted tale of a young boy coming to terms with the loss of his father. It's worth seeing alone for the incredible performance by the young Thomas Horn. Amazingly, it's also his acting debut.

Max Von Sydow as the Renter also puts in a vibrant performance too.

It's quirky, deeply moving, heart warming and sweetly amusing in places too.

So ignore all the naysayers - they're clearly broken and and have an empty hole where their hearts once lived - and go see it.

Review here.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Got pretty horrible american reviews.

The poster is creepy.

This review sums it up
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7EWtMzlq7A
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read a few reviews and they were not good, implausability was one of the main gripes and too much cheesy,sugary sentimentality. I will look forward to seeing it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't like the look of it and the reviews are pretty horrible. Hasn't this movie also been nominated for Best Picture?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    Not sure I'll like this, trailer puts me off. The 9/11 thing and the fact he is searching for what the key is for, which is cheesy tbh. Maybe an old door or window?
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local cineworld has been trailing this for a couple of months now, yet they're not showing it! :mad: It does look over sentimental and cheesey, which is exactly why i think i'd love it :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Review Show did it as their first item last night
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cbsbb/The_Review_Show_17_02_2012/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched this yesterday and really liked it and would watch it again. Max Van Sydow was great, he and the little boy made a great team. It was different and original,won't give anything away,I didn't cry,but was hooked:)
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea why this is getting such bad reviews, I thought it was brilliant and very moving. The kid is superb. I normally trust Empire but they only gave this 2 out of 5. Don't listen to the reviews is what I'll say!
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds even worse than War Horse.:o:sleep:
  • Options
    Kayleigh2010Kayleigh2010 Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this Saturday and to be honest I thought it was awful. That kid, oh my gosh, probably the most annoying kid i've watched in a film. Really not my cup of tea.