Wentworth (remake of Prisoner: Cell Block H) on Channel 5 (Spoilers in tags)

Comments

• Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to it.I haven't seen any trailers for it but then again,I absolutely don't want to either.I don't want any spoilers whatsoever.

An aside from that,but does anyone know who will show Orange Is The New Black in the UK?
  • triton333triton333 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Is it a soap?

No, not a soap.
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member

An aside from that,but does anyone know who will show Orange Is The New Black in the UK?

Its a Netflix exclusive. Not on any other channel.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    I wasn't keen on Orange is the New Black. First Netflix original I haven't really liked. I hope Wentworth is better, I like the look of what I've seen so far.
  • petebluepeteblue Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Have watched the first 6 episodes of Wentworth online and it is really good , well written and well acted, it still contains elements of Prisoner, but more hard hitting a sort of cross between prisoner and bad girls. A lot of swearing, sexual scenes and violence as well, but as I said it was great and I loved it ! Has some great characters I particularly liked Frankie a tough lesbian but underneath has a heart of gold.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen the first few episodes and it's much, much better than I anticipated, but I do think that it was a mistake to give the characters the same names from the original. I have no problem with a 'reimagining' or whatever the current, cool term for this kind of thing is, but it just comes off as surreal and distracting. It's especially odd when certain names seem to have been given to new characters arbitrarily - why is Vera Bennett now the 'nice', Meg-style officer? Why was Meg Jackson a tough governor? Odd, odd, odd.

I actually think that the show is good enough to have stood alone, without having to entice fans of Prisoner by stealing a bunch of names and a loose similarity to the 'main' character of Bea Smith. I'd have been happier if it had even been a 'continuation' of the old series with the only connection being the prison. For all the resemblance between the old characters and their new counterparts, new names could have been used and nothing else changed.

And why have Five renamed it 'Wentworth Prison'? In the show, it's 'Wentworth Correctional Centre' and in the original it was 'Wentworth Detention Centre'. 'Wentworth Prison' sounds awkward and makes it seem like the just wanted the word 'Prison' in their to tie in with 'Prisoner'.
    Forum Member
    Just hope that the more juicy scenes aren't cut by Channel 5. Would be nice to see it as it was originally aired in Australia.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this
  • LeahbelleLeahbelle Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    Used to watch prisoner cell block H. Used to love it. I hope it's as good as the original.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode showing how Doreen first got the teddy bear (that she used to carry in the original series) was fantastic.

You've really got something to look forward to if you enjoyed Prisoner Cell Block H.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    I've seen the first few episodes and it's much, much better than I anticipated, but I do think that it was a mistake to give the characters the same names from the original. I have no problem with a 'reimagining' or whatever the current, cool term for this kind of thing is, but it just comes off as surreal and distracting. It's especially odd when certain names seem to have been given to new characters arbitrarily - why is Vera Bennett now the 'nice', Meg-style officer? Why was Meg Jackson a tough governor? Odd, odd, odd.

I didn't see the original but I have learned a bit about the original characters from other forums. You say you've watched the first "few" episodes. I've seen the the full first season, and I would be interested to know if you maintain this opinion after all ten episodes.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A female Oz is probably a good description. More so than comparing it to Bad Girls I would say. Although you could say like the gritty first series of Bad Girls too.

What you have to remember about Bad Girls is that basically it was based on Prisoner Cell Block H. Wentworth is Prisoner Cell Block H only reinvented for a 2013 generation and it is a lot more graphic.

Oh really? Now it's got my attention.
    Oz is one of my favourite TV series ever.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    triton333 wrote: »
    I didn't see the original but I have learned a bit about the original characters from other forums. You say you've watched the first "few" episodes. I've seen the the full first season, and I would be interested to know if you maintain this opinion after all ten episodes.

I'll get back to you on that one. I think I've seen the first three (possibly four) episodes, but I'll watch the full run (starting next Wednesday) on Channel 5. :)
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    l will use tags as I'm worried about spoiling things but in regards to the last few posts. Its a reimagining so obviously things are different. I only found it confusing for the first few episodes. Once I take the characters as just being different it worked for me. However if you never seen the original which I suspect many new viewers won't have then it should not be an issue.

Vera for example -
    does slowly start to change as the series goes on. Not too much but the seeds are set in motion, espically in her final chat with Jacs in episode 10 and her story with Fletch, to make her very bitter. I suspect this is where we will go with her in season two.

Bea -
    is way more complex than the original. I never thought that was possible but it is. We actually see how prison changes her and by episode 10 she does something that will shock you. I prefer Bea of 2013. Her rise to becoming top dog is so brilliantly done.

Erica -
    is incredible. Obviously Pasty Kings version was a fans fave but this Erica is more than just part of the prison set up. She is complex and believable and has a life outside of Wentworth.

Liz -
    is Judy. That's the only thing I disagreed with. They may have well just used the Judy character and had Liz as the old woman she was. Aside from the alcoholism nothing about the two versions are the same.

Doreen -
    is actually my least fave of the old characters. I think they may have made a mistake with casting. But non the less she is still decent.

Frankie -
    slightly different to the original but unlike Liz she still has elements of old Frankie in her which identifies her. I also think it helps original Frankie only lasted 30 episodes. So they are free to take this character where ever

The new characters like Jacs - who is amazing and one of my all time fave TV villians now, Boomer - who shares her surname Jenkins with Alice lol, Roz and Kim are good additions.
    Forum Member
    Watched all ten episodes now and really enjoyed the series. Hard hitting drama which all comes together in episode 10-and without giving too much away has a major twist at the end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new characters like Jacs - who is amazing and one of my all time fave TV villians now,

Jacs is one scary character. It's the voice more than anything I think. Chilling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004458037512

Check out this page, loads of Wentworth info, pics, news, videos, interviews etc... worth joining
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to give it another chance.. I watched the first 3 episodes then accidentally deleted the rest of the series of from the laptop! So going to have them on Tivo now which is harder to accidentally delete from!
    Forum Member
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100004458037512

Check out this page, loads of Wentworth info, pics, news, videos, interviews etc... worth joining

Be careful because some of the articles contain major spoilers from season 1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Channel 5 have decided to rename it 'Wentworth Prison' I think thats a very poor decision tbh, it sounds much better as just 'Wentworth' Why do we need to add the Prison bit?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^My guess is that "Wentworth" could mean anything and they wanted people to make the connection to the original show, Or maybe they just think people like prison shows. I agree it's a bad name. "Wentworth Cell Block H" would have worked better, even though I don't remember a cell block getting a mention in the episodes.
  • David_AylingDavid_Ayling Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    did you watch Cell Block H when it moved from ITV to channel 5. then channel 5 started.
    they are say on 5 that Wentworth is a big hit in oz.is this right.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are say on 5 that Wentworth is a big hit in oz.is this right.

It was a big hit considering that it was on a cable channel. It had the biggest audience ever on cable for a non-sports event, but it would have had a lot more viewers if it had been on free-to-air.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tomorrow night folks!