56 Up

gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
Forum Member
✭✭
I know there were other people following this series before! It's on ITV right now

I cannot believe they are all 56 now, they feel like old chums :)

Comments

• stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    I am angry. 9pm, primetime, I thought this was a new series but it was shown in 2012. Does my EPG tell me its a repeat? No. Do they bother telling you its a repeat any more?
  • bscbabscba Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    I know there were other people following this series before! It's on ITV right now

I cannot believe they are all 56 now, they feel like old chums :)

Surely this is a repeat from last year?
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God this is a repeat. For a moment I thought another 7 years had flown by.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    Thank God this is a repeat. For a moment I thought another 7 years had flown by.

Must admit, I did breathe a sigh of relief myself :D
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am angry. 9pm, primetime, I thought this was a new series but it was shown in 2012. Does my EPG tell me its a repeat? No. Do they bother telling you its a repeat any more?

Nor did mine! I know I'm getting older and time flies, but I'm quite relieved that it isn't 7 years since I last watched it!
  • bscbabscba Posts: 360
    Forum Member

Good point. Back in the day when you had a TV magazine they seemed to be obliged to tell you when a repeat was being shown.
  • humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its customer abuse. I friggin hate the programmers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a search on here before I started the thread as well, I'm sure I would have started a thread in 2012 if nobody else had...
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh thank goodness! I saw it had started and was annoyed that I'd missed the start. But if it's a repeat then I've seen it before, so that's good.

I'm still going to watch it again though, I think it's fascinating.

It's funny, I've been watching this since I was small. I'm trying to think how old they were when I first saw it, I think it must have been when they were 21 (and I was 5), so I feel as though I've known some of these people a little bit for all my life.

I do like Neil. He's such a decent bloke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't remember this one, so I'm happy to get a chance to see it now. Being just a couple of years younger than the subjects, it's easy to relate to their various lives. Speaking generally here, I think people are more relaxed and comfortable with who they are in their 50's.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That clip of Neil talking about not having children because they inherit something of the parent, and stand a good chance of not being happy.... I must have seen that lots of times over the years, but every time, it gets to me. It's just so sad, and so understated. He says it so casually, but it's something that's obviously a pretty huge thing for him...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    That clip of Neil talking about not having children because they inherit something of the parent, and stand a good chance of not being happy.... I must have seen that lots of times over the years, but every time, it gets to me. It's just so sad, and so understated. He says it so casually, but it's something that's obviously a pretty huge thing for him...

He's such a nice man, I always liked him
  • DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching on itv+1

Neil is on, what a fantastic bloke, fascinating life story.
  • p1xiep1xie Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh! And there's me thinking I had deja vu and also wondering why they were all suddenly a year younger than me when they'd always been the same age as me in the past. :D
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like other posters here, I saw this on the TV online guide and thought that time had flown by. Luckily a quick check of my TV magazine (free with my Saturday paper) told me it was a repeat. A bit of random programming by ITV's schedulers there!
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Must admit, I did breathe a sigh of relief myself :D
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Nor did mine! I know I'm getting older and time flies, but I'm quite relieved that it isn't 7 years since I last watched it!

5 years yet before we can panic :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *PHEW* wipes brow.

I had palpitations thinking I'd missed this but as it's a repeat I've still got the recording somewhere.

One of the best and most ground breaking docu series ever.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have enjoyed watching all these programme right from the first one called 7 Up, even though I was not much older than the children themselves.

I remember a programme called Citizen 2000 which started in the year that Channel Four opened (1982). It was about children born that year who would be 18 in the year 2000. It was on every year giving us updates on the children. One was a disabled little girl who died when she was about 12. I would love to know what the children are like now that they would be 32 years old. Unfortunately it just finished when they were 18.
  • highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never saw this in 2012 and would have liked to have seen the first episode last week. Does anyone know if it's online as it wasn't on ITV on demand last night even before the second episode started?
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad I've caught the last two on repeat. It's a great piece of social history. Just seen that Lynn died after a short illness in 2013. How sad. She and Russ were soulmates. I always wonder what a "short illness" is. Maybe leukaemia? My Dad died within 3 months.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I'm glad I've caught the last two on repeat. It's a great piece of social history. Just seen that Lynn died after a short illness in 2013. How sad. She and Russ were soulmates. I always wonder what a "short illness" is. Maybe leukaemia? My Dad died within 3 months.

That's sad about Lynn. I feel like I know these people as I have followed their story for decades - I think the first one I watched was 21 UP.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    That's sad about Lynn. I feel like I know these people as I have followed their story for decades - I think the first one I watched was 21 UP.

Me too d0lphin. I'm just a year or so older than them and have had all the same esperiences...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    Does my EPG tell me its a repeat? No. Do they bother telling you its a repeat any more?

What I've noticed of late is sometimes the only way to know a programme is New is the words "New:" before the programme title, but even that can be misleading, witness "New:" for programmes like 'Have I Got News For You' on Dave. It purely means new to the channel. It is a repeat though.

I tend to assume "Repeat" most of the time these days.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if it's just me getting more emotional in my old age (62 now, aaargh!), but I find I get a little tearful at these programmes, especially at the end when they do the montage of the kids.
    I'm about the same age as them and my own childhood all comes flooding back. Add the uplifting music and it never fails to make me choke when I see the kids in their school uniforms and playing on derelict sites, just like me and my brother did in the 50's.
    Anyone else similarly affected?
  • eliza2355eliza2355 Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    I am 60 so almost the same age as they are and love looking back on their childhood and living their lives , we didnt have lots of photos or films in those days so its great to see how we all lived back then , Cant wait for the next series