The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    More from the Broadcast app:

Lottery - Five Star Family Reunion: 3.01m (18.3%)
    Casualty: 4.24m (24.2%)

Dad's Army (r): 1.49m (8.8%)

Football League Tonight's average of 0.58m (exc +1) between 21:00 and 22:25 earned a share of 3.4%. Last Saturday the imported historical drama Tut averaged 0.86m (5.8%) between 21:00 and 23:35.
    Forum Member
    ITV
    21:05 - FILM: The Bourne Identity (2002): 1.08m (6.7%) exc HD & +1

Even with its exclusions, that's incredibly bad. Over-use?
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    ITV
    21:05 - FILM: The Bourne Identity (2002): 1.08m (6.7%) exc HD & +1

Even with its exclusions, that's incredibly bad. Over-use?

Yikes, that's appalling! Yes I suspect overuse is the cause. Unfortunate then that they're repeating the following two films across the next two Saturdays. Wonder if they're building up to the premiere of Bourne Legacy on August 29th, which would get an X Factor lead-in?

Do you have the shares for Keep it in The Family and The Cube Neil? :)
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Football League Tonight rating on Channel 5 only serves to highlight how vital the Match of the Day lead-in has been for them on BBC One in recent years.
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    Do you have the shares for Keep it in The Family and The Cube Neil? :)

17.4% and 13.2% respectively (exc HD & +1). :)
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    17.4% and 13.2% respectively (exc HD & +1). :)

Thanks. :)

So I'd expect KIITF to end up with around 20% and The Cube around 15%. KIITF doesn't actually seem to have done too badly, certainly not compared to last time.
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I think the Football League Tonight rating on Channel 5 only serves to highlight how vital the Match of the Day lead-in has been for them on BBC One in recent years.

Last year the Football League started a week earlier than the Premier League:

Saturday 9 August 2014
    BBC News: 1.96m (18.1%)
    BBC Regional News: 2.47m (22.1%)
    Pointless: 2.83m (22.4%)
    Tumble: 3.16m (20.7%)
    Lottery: Break the Safe: 3.16m (17.7%)
    Casualty: 3.99m (21.0%)
    Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.19m (22.9%)
    BBC News: 3.96m (23.2%)
    [22:35] Michael McIntyre's Showtime: 2.10m (15.8%)
    [23:35-24:55] The Football League Show: 874k (12.1%)
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74176988&postcount=809

Saturday 16 August 2014
    BBC News: 2.94m (22.8%)
    BBC Regional News: 3.38m (25.2%)
    Pointless: 3.31m (22.7%)
    Tumble: 3.30m (20.2%)
    Lottery: Break the Safe: 3.44m (19.2%)
    Casualty: 4.26m (22.2%)
    Mrs Brown's Boys: 4.80m (26.6%)
    BBC News: 4.60m (27.3%)
    [22:30] Match of the Day: 3.69m (29.2%)
    [24:00-25:15] The Football League Show: 758k (14.8%)
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74306044&postcount=2002

At first glance it looks like MOTD provided no boost - but TLFS did move twenty-five minutes later and the share was 2.7 points higher than the previous week.

ITV's idea of a late-evening highlight in this period was re-showings of the original 1970s Star Wars films, wrapped around the news.
  • mrstreetcredmrstreetcred Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    More from the Broadcast app:

Lottery - Five Star Family Reunion: 3.01m (18.3%)
    Casualty: 4.24m (24.2%)

Dad's Army (r): 1.49m (8.8%)

Football League Tonight's average of 0.58m (exc +1) between 21:00 and 22:25 earned a share of 3.4%. Last Saturday the imported historical drama Tut averaged 0.86m (5.8%) between 21:00 and 23:35.

Is the new lottery show any good, I've heard nothing about whether it's terrible.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Not terrible for the FLS on 5, once Autumn kicks in it could get 1m+, they just need to show the right highlights and give on screen plugs from 5pm onwards.

Just 3 more August weekends to go then ratings will surely start to climb again....

Though in three weeks time The X Factor will probably run across the 9pm slot and within six it will have the Rugby World Cup to deal with. It isn't going to be an easy ride for the show.
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Is the new lottery show any good, I've heard nothing about whether it's terrible.

I think its one of the worst formats ever and with the easiest questions ever. I think terrible is a good word. :)
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Though in three weeks time The X Factor will probably run across the 9pm slot and within six it will have the Rugby World Cup to deal with. It isn't going to be an easy ride for the show.
    Don't worry, there's bound to be a few manufactured scandals and disagreements between the judges, just to drum up publicity.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Don't worry, there's bound to be a few manufactured scandals and disagreements between the judges, just to drum up publicity.

:confused: What's that got to do with the discussion at hand?

EDIT: Oh I see. I meant it's not going to be easy for Football League Today; not The X Factor.
    Forum Member
    Some more Channel 4/5 ratings (all exc +1):

Homes by the Sea: 0.80m (5.4%)
    Walking through History (r): 0.87m (5.4%)
    FILM: The A-Team (2010): 0.78m (4.9%)

Cricket on 5: 0.86m (5.8%)
    Killer Landslides: 0.46m (2.8%)
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some more Channel 4/5 ratings (all exc +1):

Homes by the Sea: 0.80m (5.4%)
    Walking through History (r): 0.87m (5.4%)
    FILM: The A-Team (2010): 0.78m (4.9%)

Cricket on 5: 0.86m (5.8%)
    Killer Landslides: 0.46m (2.8%)

Poor all round there. I'm surprised the Cricket didn't top a million following England's win and the strong ratings the highlights have attracted during the week.
  • mrstreetcredmrstreetcred Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I think its one of the worst formats ever and with the easiest questions ever. I think terrible is a good word. :)

But still nick knowles finds an audience! Haha
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But still nick knowles finds an audience! Haha

Nick Knowles has about as much charisma as my garden fence
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been looking at tomorrow's listings and Tipping Point is in the 3pm slot Hello Campers should've been pulled weeks ago IMO

On a quiz related note anyone know how 15 To 1 on Channel 4 and Two Tribes on BBC2 have been doing since they returned on July 13th
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    retroguy wrote: »
    Been looking at tomorrow's listings and Tipping Point is in the 3pm slot Hello Campers should've been pulled weeks ago IMO

On a quiz related note anyone know how 15 To 1 on Channel 4 and Two Tribes on BBC2 have been doing since they returned on July 13th

Hello Campers hasnt been pulled it is still on at 4pm
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the lack of success of Keep it in the Family is the reason BBC are not bringing back The Generation Game.

The shows are fairly similar in format (though family has mated Gen Game with 321 and Crackerjack).

They have a genial host (Bradley Walsh does this show about as well as it could be done).

Theoretically Saturday night is ideal for it as it is in the Gen Game slot.

If it cannot get viewers there then the BBC will have figured that even with Miranda Hart presenting a Gen Game revival would likely fare only a bit better.

I don't think that has much to do with it at all, Keep It In The Family has had two series, one of which was shown opposite Strictly and now one that's on in the middle of August, two of the worst slots for light entertainment imaginable. You could have put The X Factor in those slots and it would have struggled. And in addition, of course, it might be like the Generation Game, but it isn't the Generation Game. Stepping Out was a bit like Strictly, but one is a huge hit and one died on its arse.
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Wasn't Mrs Brown meant to be getting the format that Rob Brydon ended up with as a later Saturday Show, I feel that would have worked a lot better imo

Yes, The Guess List, which seemingly isn't coming back which is a bit of a shame because I enjoyed it and thought it could have been a long runner for them. But I don't think if they decided if it was a pre- or post-watershed show - it was simple and silly enough for 7pm, but it had swearing in it - so it seemed to fall in between two stools a bit. And presumably Rob's too busy to do it.
    Markynotts wrote: »
    The 83 and 84 figures would be fantastic ratings for today, with shows getting over 5 million and Dynasty getting 8 million. But it does show how things have changed, not with regard to multi channel tv but with just what rubbish is churned out now.

Not especially, because it was mostly imports and repeats in the eighties, whereas last night BBC1 and ITV both had two hours of new programming in primetime. Also, a lot of those programmes in the eighties were really, really bad, 5 Star Family Reunion isn't particularly inspiring but Ultra Quiz was no better.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Saturday Night Football comes from the same studio as last season. The only difference is they don't have an audience in it anymore. Much better.

Well, the audience was a waste of time but I wouldn't argue it was any better because now there's just no point them being in the studio at all, it is absolutely pointless. You don't save any money either because you have to light and power the studio, especially one as big as that. You've got to be at the ground anyway so sending the presenter and pundits and pointing a camera at them is a trivial expense. It's also unbelievably boring, there are no interesting film pieces or interviews, just loads of dull chat from Dave Jones, who is adequate but not a very interesting presenter, and Jamie Redknapp who is a dreadful pundit.
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Not terrible for the FLS on 5, once Autumn kicks in it could get 1m+, they just need to show the right highlights and give on screen plugs from 5pm onwards.

Just 3 more August weekends to go then ratings will surely start to climb again....

I would disagree, as mentioned last night was probably the easiest competition it could have (I know it was opposite MOTD for the last five minutes but they knew there was the chance of that happening). There's certainly no value in plugging it earlier in the evening, not least because, cricket aside (who I noticed did plug it) it's non-stop repeats and football fans aren't watching that, they're watching Final Score or the live game on Sky.

Lest we forget that when it moved to the Beeb - and it hasn't been there for very long, only six years, ITV before that had the rights for over twenty years - there were plenty of moans about the show because they had lots of tweets and e-mails in it and pointless wandering around, and people saying they preferred it on ITV. So being on commercial TV is not in itself a downside.
    D.M.N. wrote: »

Yes, and I don't want it to sound like everyone should be grateful to be on the Beeb and should jump at it even if they only offer 50p for the rights, but you do benefit on that channel from the promotion across all its football programming which has a loyal audience. It's the same with the Football League on Sky, they benefit hugely from the goals and plugs on Soccer AM, Soccer Saturday and so on.

They get top billing on C5 but if casual football fans aren't going to look out for it, is there any value in that? Yeah, League Two clubs may now get their goals at 10pm rather than 1am, but they lose them being on Football Focus and Final Score, plus the simple announcement that that's where they are on Match on the Day. Better sometimes to be the supporting feature to something bigger than trying to go out on your own.

Well, it's not terrible, but it is the most bog-standard quiz you'll ever see.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A positive post about a well loved entertainer who died last week. Cilla Black, as well being a very successful pop star in the sixties, was ratings gold when she moved from singing to television. Her BBC show Cilla attracted 18 million viewers a week. Not as well remembered as Blind Date, Cilla was part of a trend the BBC used on Saturday nights in the seventies to base a variety show around a middle of the road singer. Pet Clark, Cilla Black, Lulu and Val Doonican had shows built around them that were massive.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, the audience was a waste of time but I wouldn't argue it was any better because now there's just no point them being in the studio at all, it is absolutely pointless. You don't save any money either because you have to light and power the studio, especially one as big as that. You've got to be at the ground anyway so sending the presenter and pundits and pointing a camera at them is a trivial expense. It's also unbelievably boring, there are no interesting film pieces or interviews, just loads of dull chat from Dave Jones, who is adequate but not a very interesting presenter, and Jamie Redknapp who is a dreadful pundit.

Every sports programme that has a pointless audience in shot is improved immediately when they're ditched. Wimbledon 2Day and Saturday Night Football are perfect examples. Then you come to the programme itself and that is a whole other conversation.

Saturday Night Football has always been dull but it was toe-curling and dull with an audience. They didn't know what to do with them. Now they have a massive aircraft hangar space that looks very empty. Monday Night Football and Super Sunday show how it should be done. But to be honest Soccer Saturday is the best of the lot.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meant to reply to what Steve Williams said in the previous thread but it's locked. So....

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=79192962&postcount=10205
    The difference between Deal Or No Deal and Countdown is that Deal Or No Deal is not much of a format and it lives and dies entirely on its presentation, and obviously the novelty is going to wear off. Countdown is a format that can literally run forever. It's also a totally unfair comparison to look at the ratings for Countdown from ten or fifteen years ago when it was at 4.30 and facing kids shows on two channels, plus with high rating shows either side of it, to now when it's at 2pm, its umpteenth slot in recent years, facing strong schedules from BBC1 and ITV and surrounded by a load of rubbish. The "boring" comment is entirely subjective as well.

But that's not the best way to make television, is it? Little and Large were rubbish, as you admit their ratings went up because ITV were even worse, but even at the age of ten I could see they were running out of ideas and the show was a mess. If a show is not achieving things artistically, especially on the BBC it doesn't matter if it's getting high ratings. Do we continue New Tricks until the very last viewer has switched off, no matter how outlandish the plots and how often the cast changes, or do we try and keep a decent standard and ensure people have fond memories of it when it finishes?
    Calling Little & Large rubbish is just as subjective as saying Countdown is boring. How can you say Channel 4 keeping Countdown on life support just to fill a few hours with minimal ratings is different from the BBC keeping Little & Large going when ratings dipped is beyond me.

Countdown is only watched as a format during Eight Of Ten Cats Does Countdown. If Deal Or No Deal has seen ratings drop as well as Countdown I don't see how Countdown can get a free pass. Nick Hewer is a terrible host and helped suck the life out of it. It was always fairly boring but it used to be popular and boring.

Are you saying Channel 4 should keep Countdown going until every viewer switches off? "But that's not the best way to make television is it?" Didn't you say that? ;)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    A positive post about a well loved entertainer who died last week. Cilla Black, as well being a very successful pop star in the sixties, was ratings gold when she moved from singing to television. Her BBC show Cilla attracted 18 million viewers a week. Not as well remembered as Blind Date, Cilla was part of a trend the BBC used on Saturday nights in the seventies to base a variety show around a middle of the road singer. Pet Clark, Cilla Black, Lulu and Val Doonican had shows built around them that were massive.

Shirley Bassey as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Hello Campers hasnt been pulled it is still on at 4pm

No, that's what the poster said. It *should* have been pulled, but hasn't been.

TP repeats should have been put in at 4pm instead, in order to fairly assess whether Freeze Out can gain a decent audience, with help from its preceding show, rather than having to do so entirely on its own.

There's zero sense in keeping Hello Campers on air. It should be binned and never shown again.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Shirley Bassey as well
    I remember the series she did from her home in Jamaica.
    It's probably unlikely with the music scene now that these types of show would take off now.
This discussion has been closed.