• Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see pink

I see dead people :o
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bizarre thing is that a poll I saw (yes, someone actually made one) suggests that 74% of people saw the wrong colours.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Have you been to the opticians lately? They do tests for colour blindness.
    It's not. It's white and gold. Well, I think white, but definitely gold.
    You think that's black? Seriously?
    It could be that some people are seeing one colour (black) whereas others, they're seeing gold. For me, it's definitely gold. I'm wondering if it's colour blindness (on other people's part) or what's in that link?
    I can't understand why you're seeing black where the gold is then. I dunno.....maybe it's colour blindness then.

:D You must be on a wind up surely?

Can you not understand that people see the dress differently. That's the whole point and why it's gone viral, because people can't agree on the colour in the picture!

FWIW, I mainly see it as blue and black and couldn't understand how it could be anything else but I looked back at the picture and for a split second it was white and gold before it went back to blue and black. It's so weird!

The dress is actually blue and black in real life, by the way.
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see two lesbians
  • shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to swap eyes so I can see what you can.. its mind boggling that you cannot see any blue or black at all ha!

Snap! :D
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    The dress is actually blue and black in real life, by the way.

I assume that the black bands must be made of something shiny?

Is the lining of the jacket the same colour as the bands?

Just goes to show how out of whack the colour balance is because, regardless of the actual colour, there's definitely a huge dollop of red and green in there which is causing people to assume it's actually gold.

And, interestingly enough, if you ramp-up the red and green saturations you will, of course, de-saturate any blue colouring.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was white and gold this morning. Now it's pale blue and brown.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I assume that the black bands must be made of something shiny?

Is the lining of the jacket the same colour as the bands?

Just goes to show how out of whack the colour balance is because, regardless of the actual colour, there's definitely a huge dollop of red and green in there which is causing people to assume it's actually gold.

And, interestingly enough, if you ramp-up the red and green saturations you will, of course, de-saturate any blue colouring.

Colour stuff baffles me! :blush: I just don't understand it at all.

The black bits look like lace to me and so not shiny but I suppose they must be?
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen it on the news. I saw pale blue and a sort of beigey/brown.
  • pericompericom Posts: 6,025
    Forum Member
    Saw the real thing on the news. Its Blue and Black offically.. but I see white and gold.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    White and gold yesterday at work, white and gold on my tablet at home, still white and gold today at work :confused: I see no blue and black
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pericom wrote: »
    Saw the real thing on the news. Its Blue and Black offically.. but I see white and gold.

I see pale blue and gold, am I the only one.?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I see pale blue and gold, am I the only one.?:confused:

I briefly managed to see it as white and gold, and then it turned into blue and gold before being blue and black.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It definitely is blue and black. How can people see it white? It baffles me.
  • BROXI BEARBROXI BEAR Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Definitely blue & black
  • LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is seriously freaking me out!

I only see bluish white and gold. I cannot see royal blue and black no matter how many times I look at it.

What I can't get my head around is that the colours are so pale to me, and yet so dark to other people. It's not like arguing over whether something is red or orange, or turqoise or blue. The colours are so different.

Also, why is it only this particular photo of this particular dress? I've never heard of this happening with anything else before.

It's like that thing people say to argumentative people: "you'd argue black is white". Maybe it has happened before then? :confused:
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    Here you go.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/a391a1b4b46dd6b498d379e50f96ecbc/tumblr_nkcjuq8Tdr1tnacy1o1_500.jpg :cool:

EDIT

I think they are either replacing the image, using layers (and mouseover to switch layers) or possibly some kind of trick to fool graphics cards and/or monitors, varying according to the exact settings.

But I always see it as light bluey/cyan and browny-green, whatever I do. Complementary colour thing maybe?
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    It's a fact that the page doesn't refresh and change the colour, that's for sure.

Me and my friend looked at the dress, at the same time, on the same screen, on the same page. She saw gold and white, I saw black and blue - nothing to do with the page refreshing.

Once I read about the colour brightness changes and the brain adjusting to it - I could see the blue and black. Since then, it's gone back to gold and white on all devices I look at the image on.

Also, take note of the word "theories". That certainly doesn't mean "fact", you seem to have got it completely wrong yet again.

Five of us stood around a screen this morning looking at this picture, 3 saw white & gold, 2 saw blue and black, we were all adamant and then a bit freaked out.

It is interesting because it demonstrates how our perceptions are based on how our brain processes information which isn't identical in every person.

It also explains why some people seem to wear the most hideous colour combos :)
  • skinjskinj Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The colours as depicted in the photograph are blue and a goldy/browny/blacky colour due to probably a very bad combination of bad photography skill, bad lighting and a bad camera phone.
    In real life the dress is black and blue, unequivocally so.
    I still can't work out how the blue can appear white though!
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't get the big deal. People's eyes/brains are different.

That, and the already dodgy colouring in the badly taken photo are going to look even more different on everyone's computers (e.g. brightness settings and whatnot)

No different to how some people are able to hear higher frequencies of sounds, while others hear nothing etc.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    It was white and gold and now it's blue and black
  • St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News 24 had a film about it and said folk were arguing about the colours in the office.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Don't get the big deal. People's eyes/brains are different.

That, and the already dodgy colouring in the badly taken photo are going to look even more different on everyone's computers (e.g. brightness settings and whatnot)

No different to how some people are able to hear higher frequencies of sounds, while others hear nothing etc.

Yeah but for some of us the colours are changing. I can sometimes see it as white and gold and sometimes as blue and black and other times as a much paler version of the blue and black. And I've seen it change between the colours as I've looked at the picture. I don't understand how that can happen!
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep seeing Police Officers wearing Gold Lamé.

Suits them.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's blue, not white

the detail looks black, but I can see that it might be gold, and it's a matter of shading/reflection

it's never seen white. what hasn't it seen? white!