Hunderby - Mon, 10pm, Sky Atlantic

AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
Forum Member
✭✭
Did anyone else watch the first episodes of Julia Davis' latest dark comedy? I am a big fan of hers and she definitely didn't disappoint. Hilarious. :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Loved it. Smart writing and great acting - looking forward to next week!
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benyooro wrote: »
    I guess we're the only two who watched it! :D
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member

You joined DS in May 2008 and it took you over four years to make your first comment?:eek:
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it too!!

I found it a little darker than I would normally be comfortable with - the emotional abuse of Helen was difficult to watch at times.

But it did also make me laugh:D

Some of the lines were:eek::D

Not sure what to make of it to be honest, bu tI'll certainly be watching more of it.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    You joined DS in May 2008 and it took you over four years to make your first comment?:eek:
    yeah but least it was a nice possitve Comment :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    What a fitting tribute to Julia Davis that her new show was the driving force behind benyooro making their first ever post on DS after 4 years of presumably lurking :D
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching it right now...

They are just discussing her 'garden'...:D
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it right now...

They are just discussing her 'garden'...:D

Me too, and like others I am really enjoying it.

PJ
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I did enjoy that..

Was the episode on Anytime (1 Hour) part 1 and 2?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I did enjoy that..

Yes, I think it was a double bill.
  • ceeferceefer Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this too, looking forward to the next one. Bubbly milk anyone? :D
  • geordiegumpgeordiegump Posts: 1,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have only watched the first 20 minutes but it reminds me of when I watched the first ever episode of 'Father Ted'.

Just so off the wall it is captivating.

Can't wait to watch the rest tomorrow
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I did enjoy that..

Yes. Watched it this evening. Very clever and very funny and very well made.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ceefer wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this too, looking forward to the next one. Bubbly milk anyone? :D
    The bit where Dorothy made Helene 'spill' the bubbly milk was hilarious :D

Reminded me a lot of something that Julia Davis' other alter ego Jill Tyrell from 'Nighty Night' might do.
  • duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By coincidence I just watched Hitchcock's Rebecca before I watched Hunderby. It's a very clever spoof of it in some scenes and in others it departs. I liked it because it was funny but it is actually also intriguing, like a genuine period thriller.
  • ceeferceefer Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    duncann wrote: »
    By coincidence I just watched Hitchcock's Rebecca before I watched Hunderby. It's a very clever spoof of it in some scenes and in others it departs. I liked it because it was funny but it is actually also intriguing, like a genuine period thriller.

Exactly, there were a few points where the look of it was just so convincing as a period piece that it made it that much more funny when an outrageous bit came along :D
  • daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was really looking forward to this when I heard that Julia Davis had written it as I loved Nighty Night. However, bar a couple of funny parts it was nowhere near as good. I'll continue watching to see if it improves.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »

The confession letter under the door, which went under the carpet. was from Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bird Raymond! Poor little guy...
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know the locations, particularly the beach at the start? It looked mighty familiar to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see the next episode, I really loved last weeks.

Bubbly Milk and Bird Raymond made me laugh every time and I don't know why.
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    Does anyone know the locations, particularly the beach at the start? It looked mighty familiar to me.

Botany Bay, Thanet
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Botany Bay, Thanet

Ahh, I thought that was it. My parents always used to take us there in the 70's. It would seem a strange coincidence to me, but then they were always going to film somewhere, and that beach would be known to certain members of the public.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    The confession letter under the door, which went under the carpet. was from Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

I knew it was from a "set book" but couldn't remember which one.

We switched this off after about 45 mins. I'd hoped it would be darker and less knowing. But it was very predictable - you knew that when she climbed into his bed he'd say there was something he really wanted, and it would turn out to be his bubbly milk - and there's always a problem with costume comedy when the actors look like they're having more fun than the audience.

It's good to see Sky commissioning new comedy and it's good that some clearly enjoyed this, but I found it too slow and the humour too obvious.
  • modeyinkmodeyink Posts: 2,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're really enjoying it here. Funny, intelligent, nicely acted and so weird it's utterly compelling.