Options

Capaldi "exhausted" and leaving after one series?

KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
Forum Member
This is the rumour going around Twitter at the moment e.g.:
Could it be true? Might The Capaldi be doing a The Eccleston? Murmers are he's exhausted with the schedule and may not return for s9! Boo.

https://twitter.com/Eddie_At_Skaro

If true then it wouldn't surprise me at all. I had a gut feeling when he took the part that Capaldi wouldn't be in it for the long haul.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Eddie's full of it. Or if not, he gets his news from some very unreliable sources. He's been spouting mistruths since at least series 4, probably sooner - he had it on very good authority that the Meddling Monk was coming back!

If he's right, it's a coincidence. I'm astonished people are still listening to him. I don't think he's nasty, just a fantasist, and he likes the attention and page views. I wish people wouldn't give them to him. Outpost Skaro is a website that desperately wishes it had sources, but anyone with genuine connections generally avoids it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rwebster wrote: »
    No, Eddie's full of it. Or if not, he gets his news from some very unreliable sources. He's been spouting mistruths since at least series 4, probably sooner - he had it on very good authority that the Meddling Monk was coming back!

If he's right, it's a coincidence. I'm astonished people are still listening to him. I don't think he's nasty, just a fantasist, and he likes the attention and page views. I wish people wouldn't give them to him. Outpost Skaro is a website that desperately wishes it had sources, but anyone with genuine connections generally avoids it.

I like OS :blush: I find it much more pleasant than GB >:(

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if this were true, whatever Eddie's sources are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's a pleasant place to post! And GB often very much isn't. Just... don't believe the administrators when they say they have connections, or rumours. They have a record of inventing them. I'm pretty sure that's why they were banned from OG in the first place.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been going around for some time - it has been debunked by some close to production.

Every actor is pushed by the schedule. A bout of paranoia because of his age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »
    This has been going around for some time - it has been debunked by some close to production.

Didn't you think at the time it was odd that quite a high profile actor would sign up for more than a single series? I wonder if Capaldi only ever wanted to do it for a year, just so he could fulfill a childhood ambition and say 'I was Doctor Who'.

I don't know. I just can't see him staying on. Maybe these rumours are just laying the groundwork for when he does an Ecclescake.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear Lord, there isn't half some tripe on Twitter.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    No, this one isn't true.

Capaldi won't be a one series only Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't you think at the time it was odd that quite a high profile actor would sign up for more than a single series?
    Er... no? High profile actors sign up for multiple series of all kinds of things! They were expecting him to do another series of The Musketeers, of all things! Probably would've done if it weren't for Doctor Who. He took a lead role in The Thick of It - a well-acclaimed but fairly niche sitcom that spent much of its life tucked away on BBC Four - but he's broadly a character actor. Doctor Who's a lead role, and pretty much the biggest lead role on British TV. Meaty role for anyone - even meatier for longtime superfan Peter Capaldi.

He might just end up doing one series, wouldn't blame him, it must be tiring, but I think anyone who claims to know is making it up, at the moment. Even if this rumour comes to fruition, they'll have a hell of a job convincing me it wasn't just a lucky guess.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    I remember in the interview he did for DWM, Peter made out that this was his dream job and favourite TV show, and although he didn't explicitly say it, he implied that he was in it for the long run. Also in the latest issue of DWM the director of that episode said Peter was acting all giddy the night before and called it "regeneration eve" which doesn't sound like the attitude of someone who doesn't want to be in it.

Quite frankly I'm insulted on Peter's behalf that people's ageist assumptions that because he's not 30 he can't handle a vigorous schedule. From the looks of it, I doubt they work that many more hours than that of a typical 9-5 job, and I'm sure he faced a similar schedule when he The Musketeers. He's a grown man, if he couldn't handle the schedule, why did he take the job? It's not like in his 40 years of acting he hasn't had a schedule like this or that there weren't enough people to tell him what working on Doctor Who would be like.

Let's not forget William Hartnell worked for 3 years before bowing out of exhaustion- and he had a new episode more or less every week!
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally think it is rubbish. Capaldi knew how intense the work was before becoming the Doctor he got advice from many people including David Tennant, Matt Smith and Steven Moffat who are people that know about the workload the actor playing the Doctor faces. If Capaldi thought it was too much of a workload and that he couldn't handle it then I doubt he would have chosen to be the Doctor (though he could have decided to put up with it for one year only but I personally think that is unlikely). And if Capaldi did leave we would probably have heard about it now or in the near future. The BBC wouldn't say things like Capaldi's first series and Capaldi probably wouldn't be filming anything for the Doctor Who Experience.

Also I think the justification that this might be the case by mentioning Hartnell and Troughton is silly because their schedule was worse because they made episodes almost every single week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JackMShep wrote: »
    I remember in the interview he did for DWM, Peter made out that this was his dream job and favourite TV show, and although he didn't explicitly say it, he implied that he was in it for the long run. Also in the latest issue of DWM the director of that episode said Peter was acting all giddy the night before and called it "regeneration eve" which doesn't sound like the attitude of someone who doesn't want to be in it.

Quite frankly I'm insulted on Peter's behalf that people's ageist assumptions that because he's not 30 he can't handle a vigorous schedule. From the looks of it, I doubt they work that many more hours than that of a typical 9-5 job, and I'm sure he faced a similar schedule when he The Musketeers. He's a grown man, if he couldn't handle the schedule, why did he take the job? It's not like in his 40 years of acting he hasn't had a schedule like this or that there weren't enough people to tell him what working on Doctor Who would be like.

Let's not forget William Hartnell worked for 3 years before bowing out of exhaustion- and he had a new episode more or less every week!

Well no, not really. He was hardly in Musketeers.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    And the thing is, people believe it..
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    I personally think it is rubbish. Capaldi knew how intense the work was before becoming the Doctor he got advice from many people including David Tennant, Matt Smith and Steven Moffat who are people that know about the workload the actor playing the Doctor faces.

Knowing this intellectually and experiencing it physically are two very different things.
  • Options
    bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    Knowing this intellectually and experiencing it physically are two very different things.

Yes but why would someone agree to work long hours if they think they cannot cope? Capaldi will probably be exhausted but I don't think he will quit after 1 series because of it.
  • Options
    ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    "Don't you think he looks tired?"

Err, no. :)
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    David Tennant was going to quit at the end of his first season. Apparently.

And his second.

In fact, there were rumours and speculation about his departure from pretty much the moment he took the part.

Same for Matt as I recall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Peter Capaldi is a seasoned actor. He knows how rigorous it can be, so my opinion he would not leave because he is exhausted.
    If he does leave it would probably be because that is all he wanted to do right from the beginning. I believe he is more than capable of acting the part for as long as he likes. The man is only in his fifties for heaven's sake.

Personally I hope he does the character for many years because I love to watch him act, but of course he does such a variety of things he may not want to lock in for too long. I'll be happy for as long as he continues though. Cannot wait to see the first series. He brings with him lots of experience together with class and strength of character to the part I hope.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »

<Claps hands> Well done! Someone telling the truth for once! :D There is a LOT of tripe on there, yes. I'm not a member of Facebook or Twitter. I stay well clear of those, if I can. Although just recently, I have had stuff in e-mails from a friend, asking if I would sign up to facebook to see what they've done.

But, no. I definately would not sign up to FB or TW. I know that both FB and TW can get out of hand, badly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did read on the internet back in January, that Peter Capaldi, apparently, has only signed up to do one series. Then his contract with the show ends, unless it is re-newed for another year.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,101
    Forum Member
    CD93 wrote: »

But then they also denied the Eccleston leaving after one series rumour too. I'm not saying the Capaldi rumour is true, just that they are hardly likely to confirm it even if it was true.

Punishing schedule though? We get that complaint a lot with this show. It's 9 months of very well paid work with 3 months break. I'm sure the hours are sometimes quite long but that's compensated by a very nice salary and a very nice quarter of a year break.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Didn't you think at the time it was odd that quite a high profile actor would sign up for more than a single series? I wonder if Capaldi only ever wanted to do it for a year, just so he could fulfill a childhood ambition and say 'I was Doctor Who'.

I think it would be more odd for a lifelong fan like Capaldi, who has dreamed of being The Doctor since he was a boy, to land his dream role yet give it up after only a year.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I did read on the internet back in January, that Peter Capaldi, apparently, has only signed up to do one series. Then his contract with the show ends, unless it is re-newed for another year.

As far as I know, each actor to play The Doctor is only contracted to one series at a time, then they can renew their contract for another series if they so wish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I know, each actor to play The Doctor is only contracted to one series at a time, then they can renew their contract for another series if they so wish.

Well, Tom Baker obviously liked DW so much, that he kept coming back time and time again, re-newing his contract another six times! :D So he was in the programme a total of seven years.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Didn't Smith sign for three years as they didn't want another Eccleston on their hands?
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    But then they also denied the Eccleston leaving after one series rumour too

The BBC? They haven't denied anything about Capaldi, have they? I would expect much more noise if Capaldi is only doing one series. Not just @Eddie_At_Skaro.

Many media outlets got hold of it originally in February because The Mirror published an article claiming that the BBC only wanted Capaldi for one series to 'steer the series in a new, radical direction.'

So instead of Capaldi struggling with the schedule and quitting - he signed on knowing that it would only be for one series. Which to me, sounds rather silly and unfair. If Capaldi was willing and able to do more than one series - would they decline? Would Capaldi himself put pen to paper to setting potential fans up for an immediate let-down? I know it would be hard for him to say no, but still. Would Moffat really intentionally round off his era with Ninth Doctor 2.0?

Eddie's tweet is just riding off the back of the original story in my opinion. We have a number of extremely reliable whistleblowers who are confident PC will be back for more - as said above, I believe we would hear more about it if it were true.