Options

Barman refused to take 10 pound note from Northern Ireland in pub tonight

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just in a pub a few years hours ago and this girl ordered a drink and when she went to pay she handed the batman a 10 note but from
Northern Ireland went the barman refused to take. I think this is wrong . What wood you have done ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    guttridge wrote: »
    Just in a pub a few years hours ago and this girl ordered a drink and when she went to pay she handed the batman a 10 note but from
    Northern Ireland went the barman refused to take. I think this is wrong . What wood you have done ?

NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA...

What would I do? It's simple. We kill the Batman.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much did you have to drink?
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd have called for Robins assistance.:D
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,592
    Forum Member

Typed my post in understandable English for a start
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm quite worldly but I've *never* seen a Northern Irish note, and I've only ever see a Scottish note literally once or twice.

It was presumably an innocent mistake as the girl serving hadn't seen them before. What more is there to discuss?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA...

Perhaps he thought she was Robin him.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends where I was working as an imaginary barman.

If I was a barman in Northern Ireland I would have accepted it. No danger.

If I was a barman in some other part of the UK and had never clapped eyes on such a note before in my life it could have been Monopoly money for all I knew, so I would have turned it down, too.
  • Options
    phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I refused to accept a Scottish £10 notes when they tried to fob me off with it in a cafe once on the basis of not being able to get rid of lt later.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once upon a time there USED to be an issue...but now that the Republic of Ireland uses the Euro there shouldn't be....

Literally ignorant behaviour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I think I'm quite worldly but I've *never* seen a Northern Irish note, and I've only ever see a Scottish note literally once or twice.

It was presumably an innocent mistake as the girl serving hadn't seen them before. What more is there to discuss?
    How do you know the batman was a girl.
    Surely the OP would have said batwoman?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know, I refused to accept a Scottish £10 notes when they tried to fob me off with it in a cafe once on the basis of not being able to get rid of lt later.

There's a couple of Scottish notes that are pretty much frowned upon because they're very easy to forge...even with just a good scanner and colour printer! :o

I used to see the real thing quite frequently because of all the fishermen and yatchsmen going back and forth across the North Channel - but in the last year a lot of businesses here have put up "non-acceptance" notices about them, they've been stung too often...
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The United Kingdom is not exactly a new entity, why can't all parts of it get their act together enough to accept sterling notes from all over the UK?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Perhaps he thought she was Robin him.

I can sympathise with the OP. I would have been sonarked if this happened to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    The United Kingdom is not exactly a new entity, why can't all parts of it get their act together enough to accept sterling notes from all over the UK?

Clearly you have no idea how the real world works?

Could you correctly recognise a Northern Irish or Scottish note and be sure it wasn't a forgery? You'd know what to look for?
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pff, NI notes? IoM notes are where it's at.
  • Options
    guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry guys I meant barman ! Silly iPhone
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

Are you sure it was Batman, it sounds more like the Joker to me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the rest?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    There's a couple of Scottish notes that are pretty much frowned upon because they're very easy to forge...even with just a good scanner and colour printer! :o

I used to see the real thing quite frequently because of all the fishermen and yatchsmen going back and forth across the North Channel - but in the last year a lot of businesses here have put up "non-acceptance" notices about them, they've been stung too often...
    The local chippy has a sign up about not accepting Scottish notes. I always wondered why as when they take the takings to the bank then the bank would deal with the notes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you sure it was Batman, it sounds more like the Joker to me?

Well, here's the problerm - if it had been Michael Keaton noone would have said a word, but as it was Val Kilmer rejected the £10 note, up comes a thread on Digitalspy...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can you explain this bit?
    Just in a pub a few years hours ago

Was it years, or hours?
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Clydesdale's?

We had a spate of Bank of England £20 note forgeries a while back
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Clearly you have no idea how the real world works?

Could you correctly recognise a Northern Irish or Scottish note and be sure it wasn't a forgery? You'd know what to look for?

Is it impossible, after all these years, for England to educate people to recognise all forms of sterling which are legal tender in their country? All three of them!

Sheesh, we manage here with sterling, (all three versions), and euros running alongside eachother, and our shopkeepers not only manage to sort out the genuine from the forgeries, but also work out the correct change. And yet the English have a stereotype of the Irish as thick, its about time you took the log out of your own eye.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clydesdale's?

It might just be! Isn't there one that is almost totally blue of various striking hues?
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'll remember that the next time someone tries to 'fob me off' with an English £10 note.
    The English really are quite insular and arrogant sometimes.
    Not having a dig at you by the way.:)