124»

Comments

• Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I liked her. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For my money, best secondary character ever.
  • donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked her. She was the closest we have ever come in New Who to a female Time Lord*. River was the Doctor's equal, not just the usual companion who followed round.

*I am not counting Donna, who was one by accident.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I like River, but I think revealing her to be Amy and Rory's daughter was a bit of a cop-out because we all thought that was what it was going to be.

It's like in Series 8, we have this new mysterious character (Missy) running alongside another storyline (the woman in the shop) and I'm already certain these two will turn out to be one and the same.
  • chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I liked River & hope she makes a return as i would like her to team up with 12 as i think she would work well with him.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    utterly love her.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Loved her, Alex was great in the role and I would love to see her back alongside Capaldi's Doctor and hopefully Jack. can't understand why some people dislike her (River) and Alex so much. Loved her as Cleopatra !
  • solarpenguinsolarpenguin Posts: 488
    Forum Member
    I hated her, just plain can't understand what what all you people think you liked about her!
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Loved her, Alex was great in the role and I would love to see her back alongside Capaldi's Doctor and hopefully Jack. can't understand why some people dislike her (River) and Alex so much. Loved her as Cleopatra !

The reason we disliked River so much is because she was a completely crap character. It's not that hard to understand.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I hated her, just plain can't understand what what all you people think you liked about her!

You can say that about any character you dislike I will never understand how anyone could like Amy I was wishing she would go within her first 5 mins and over time I only hatred her more and more
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reason we disliked River so much is because she was a completely crap character. It's not that hard to understand.

Is that the Royal "we"? ;-)

Fair enough, mind.
  • ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Never keen. I don't like my Doctors to have a love interest. I found it embarrassing.

All that "sweetie" business. Yuk. That's the role they wrote for Alex Kingston and I think she delivered brilliantly but I am absolutely not in favour of love affairs/marriages/flirtation in Doctor Who.
    Forum Member
    You can say that about any character you dislike I will never understand how anyone could like Amy I was wishing she would go within her first 5 mins and over time I only hatred her more and more

You want a more detailed, more specific answer about why I don't like her. OK...

The way River Song was written embodies everything that is crap about all TV drama writing in the 21st century. Whereas once dramas used to draw us slowly, steadily into a believable fictional world, nowadays they just keep viewers on the outside, looking in towards a steady stream of distracting images. Believability takes second place to how distracting they are. (That's why there's been almost no good TV drama at all this century, and the only really consistently enjoyable series nowadays are all gameshows.)

River Song is the perfect example of this. An improbable, unbelievable character, with an improbable, unbelievable origin story, and an improbable, unbelievable relationship with the Doctor, but full of showy, snazzy, superficial style.

And it's made worse by the fact that Doctor Who, with its roots in an earlier, better era of TV drama, ought to be fighting against the worst trends in modern drama, not giving into them so completely.
    Forum Member
    Is that the Royal "we"? ;-)

Fair enough, mind.

It's just following on from the "some people" plural in the original post.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shows how much I love her.

http://s4.postimg.org/yp5ztgvl9/river.jpg

my toon on World of warcraft and yes I did do archaeology to get the title professor just for her...*blush*
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    shows how much I love her.

http://s4.postimg.org/yp5ztgvl9/river.jpg

my toon on World of warcraft and yes I did do archaeology to get the title professor just for her...*blush*

ha thats awesome...:D

beats using a random name generator, which is what i tend to do!