Options

Emmerdale: Katie's funeral otherwise fantastic?

Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
Forum Member
Finally caught up with Thursday's episode, I thought it was a really strong episode Emmerdale performing at a high-level. Anyone else think, if it wasn't for Eastenders' 30th Anniversary week that it would've received more positive reviews?

Comments

• Options
    spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth was fantastic about it:confused:
    A lot of Jai and Priya. Two tedious horrid characters i'd be more than happy to see drive over a cliff. More embarrassing tripe with the deeply unfunny Jimmy. Another funeral *yawn*. A couple of minutes at the end when we knew neither Andy or saint Aaron would top themselves.
    The reason the episode didn't get the acclaim you think it deserved is not because it clashed with EE. The whole Katie, Robert, Aaron story has been a complete disaster from start to miserable finish. A long term character killied off for no point and no gain. A total embarrassing shambles from Kate Oates.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    Yes, I thought all the Andy/Robert stuff was great - really enjoyed it. It just got a bit overshadowed by the absolute tsunami of publicity that EE Live Week got.

Not begrudging EE, it's just a shame for ED that it's always getting upstaged.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant.....at the moment it's the best soap on the box..for me anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »

Yet viewers have been turning off in large numbers while EE have been going up :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spunger wrote: »
    Yet viewers have been turning off in large numbers while EE have been going up :confused::confused::confused:

Wait until all the fanatical excitement over EE this week has died down..then we will get the true figures ..once a show has peaked there is only one way to go...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until all the fanatical excitement over EE this week has died down..then we will get the true figures ..once a show has peaked there is only one way to go...

Of course the ratings will drop back from what they've been hitting but at least the show can produce stories that capture the immagination of the viewers and give a big boost to the ratings which is sonething Kate Oates completely fails to do. At this time of the year there is no excuse for ED's rubbish ratings.
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've decided the best thing to do with Spunger's rants is to ignore them. He will never get over his obsession with Kate Oates and ratings.
  • Options
    Cheekymonkey09Cheekymonkey09 Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a great episode - I watched it again this morning :D
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, wonder why that could be in their 30th anniversary partially live week? :confused:

Give it up spunger - ED was on good form last week and I can't wait for what's coming up soon. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course the ratings will drop back from what they've been hitting but at least the show can produce stories that capture the immagination of the viewers and give a big boost to the ratings which is sonething Kate Oates completely fails to do. At this time of the year there is no excuse for ED's rubbish ratings.
    I didn't realise you were such an EE fan, spungy. Funny I can't recall ever seeing you on any EE thread, (although admittedly I don't read most of them).

Still, I'm delighted you've finally found a soap you admire. Maybe you'll spend more time watching that now, instead of ED and giving us all a break from your anti-KO bile. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    I've decided the best thing to do with Spunger's rants is to ignore them. He will never get over his obsession with Kate Oates and ratings.

I decided that a long time ago and yet here we are again......... :D
  • Options
    AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale is on fire at the moment, TBH it's been like that since the beginning of the Cameron storyline, it and EastEnders are my joint-favourite soaps.

Last time I checked ratings are down about 500k on last year, which isn't dreadful.
  • Options
    Dress to KillDress to Kill Posts: 6,209
    Forum Member
    dennisboy wrote: »
    Emmerdale is on fire at the moment, TBH it's been like that since the beginning of the Cameron storyline, it and EastEnders are my joint-favourite soaps.

Last time I checked ratings are down about 500k on last year, which isn't dreadful.

Especially when you have to factor in On Demand, Live Online Streaming etc. I mean sure it might not be beating one or two of the other soaps (I'm not bothered with ratings so I don't really pay attention), but I think once everything is factored in it's not doing bad at all.
  • Options
    ZallyZally Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A long term character killied off for no point and no gain. A total embarrassing shambles from Kate Oates.

How else were they going to write Katie out? Sammy Winward wanted to leave. Katie wouldn't have left the village without Andy just weeks after their wedding. Even if Katie and Andy had fallen out it wouldn't seem logical for her to leave just like that after their years of history together.

To me it only made sense to kill her off - though I actually liked her character.

I liked the episode as well. I didn't like the Sharma bits. It didn't fit in well with everything else that was going on. The Jimmy and Nicola stuff was a bit of lighthearted inappropriateness on the side. It was quite funny.
    Of course it was abvious that neither Andy nor Aaron were going to commit suicide. But I still liked their part a lot. It was well acted and narrated.

I really like Emmerdale at the moment and I'm looking forward to the next weeks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    I didn't realise you were such an EE fan, spungy. Funny I can't recall ever seeing you on any EE thread, (although admittedly I don't read most of them).

Still, I'm delighted you've finally found a soap you admire. Maybe you'll spend more time watching that now, instead of ED and giving us all a break from your anti-KO bile. :)

You'll find I rant about the crappy Carters as much as I do about ED's inept producer.
    The DS FM's can continue to kiss the bum of Kate Oates. The dire ratings under her shows how out of touch they are. I've been right about her all along and continue to be so as of today.
  • Options
    AndrxwAndrxw Posts: 10,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll find I rant about the crappy Carters as much as I do about ED's inept producer.
    The DS FM's can continue to kiss the bum of Kate Oates. The dire ratings under her shows how out of touch they are. I've been right about her all along and continue to be so as of today.

Oh goodness me, I've never seen anyone as full of rubbish as you. You're acting like it's rating as well as Hollyoaks. Emmerdale can still pull in 6 million viewers regularly. It always dips to around 5 million during the summer months, and I'm sure you'll be making up stuff about 'record lows' then as well.
  • Options
    Gwen_PYCGwen_PYC Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the Kathy's funeral has been okay. It had its high points (Robert/Andy) and it low points (Chas/Aaron). I think that it would have been stronger if we had gotten more the Sugden family in multiple scenes together. Diane, Victoria, Robert, and Andy arguing, bonding, and mourning together would have given us some great drama. Instead we were subject to Chas banging on about Katie being her best mate to up Aaron's guilt. I also did not think that Aaron was needed at Andy's suicide attempt. Those scenes should have all been about Robert and Andy's difficult relationship.
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with you
  • Options
    AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dennisboy wrote: »
    Oh goodness me, I've never seen anyone as full of rubbish as you. You're acting like it's rating as well as Hollyoaks. Emmerdale can still pull in 6 million viewers regularly. It always dips to around 5 million during the summer months, and I'm sure you'll be making up stuff about 'record lows' then as well.

Exactly and he never comments when the ratings go up - only when they go down.
  • Options
    dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spunger is just a troll with an unhealthy obsession with Kate Oates. Its pitiful. Best to ignore him. He is never happy.
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    It's been alright, I liked the Andy stuff. I forgot Kelvin could act, it was so long ago he did anything of note.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »
    I think that the Kathy's funeral has been okay. It had its high points (Robert/Andy) and it low points (Chas/Aaron). I think that it would have been stronger if we had gotten more the Sugden family in multiple scenes together. Diane, Victoria, Robert, and Andy arguing, bonding, and mourning together would have given us some great drama. Instead we were subject to Chas banging on about Katie being her best mate to up Aaron's guilt. I also did not think that Aaron was needed at Andy's suicide attempt. Those scenes should have all been about Robert and Andy's difficult relationship.

Got to agree, especially the bit in bold.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gwen_PYC wrote: »

I could have slapped Aaron when he jumped up in the middle of the funeral. Only Aaron could make someone else's funeral and someone else's suicide attempt all about him>:(
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    It's been alright, I liked the Andy stuff. I forgot Kelvin could act, it was so long ago he did anything of note.

Yes exactly! It was great seeing Andy get some really heartbreaking material, and Kelvin Fletcher aced it. He was so good.

Also agree that Aaron had no place in those Sugden scenes. He just took away from the drama, rather than adding to it. >:(
  • Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zally wrote: »
    How else were they going to write Katie out? Sammy Winward wanted to leave. Katie wouldn't have left the village without Andy just weeks after their wedding. Even if Katie and Andy had fallen out it wouldn't seem logical for her to leave just like that after their years of history together.

To me it only made sense to kill her off - though I actually liked her character.

A more interesting exit would have been Katie ending up in a coma.
    She woild have been a dark cloud hovering over Robert and Aaron with them worrying about her making a recovery one day. As it is, the story is now done and dusted and has been pretty pointless with no real long term consequences for any character, apart from Katie.