I think Ren has toothache

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My dog is poorly with a heart murmer, she has had a few fainting fits / strokes / attacks whatever and she has just been put on drugs in the last month or so to help her heart .

Lately though, Ren has been quite restless and mardy, not the annoying little furball of joy she usually is. Ive noticed that she eats only on one side of her mouth and yesterday when I gave her a dentistix (that she usually goes mental for) she couldnt be bothered with it at first. Her breath is rancid and I started reading up on heart / teeth problems, and I have read (on the internet mind) that infections / bad teeth can exacerbate existing heart problems. Im not saying that her teeth have caused her heart problems, Im just scared they will make it worse. When I called the vets a while back I spoke to the nurse and she said that it shouldnt be too bad, its usually kidneys that get affected.

But besides all that, Im worried she is in pain as well. We were told by our vets that some dogs dont cry when they are in pain, and im worried she is suffering in silence. She is drinking a LOT of water (i dont know if this is something else though or if it helps potential toothache)

Anyway, last time we were at the vets about a fortnight ago I aksed her to look at Rens teeth because her breath is Vile. The vet said that she had pretty poor teeth and could do with a few coming out, but that she'd have to go under and couldnt guarantee she'd recover from the anasthetic. I must point out that the vet didnt seem too concerned about Rens teeth. Now I know dog breath and vile breath and she has vile breath.

Im booking her into the vets, but what can we do? What happened if your dog or cat had bad teeth?

edit - she is booked in this afternoon, but the nurse said there is not a lot we can do in the meantime :(

Comments

• FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Firstly, show him this instructional video on oral hygiene - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oula2tg3gQ

Secondly, poor mite, good luck at the vets. ;)
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant get youtube - im at work and its blocked.

Im leaving work early and taking her for 5:50 so not long to go :(

(Ren is a girl :) )
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A chap I know had to have all his out before they would do the heart bypass he needed. They were so awful-looking that no teeth was a huge visual improvement!

I feel you and your vet are into balancing one problem against another. Anasthetics and their use have improved hugely over the years, but you need to be back at the vets with her to explain her new symptoms.
  • curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have a look inside her mouth she may have a broken tooth and rough edge that could be causing her discomfort and ulcers, if it were my dog then i would definitely have the offending tooth/teeth removed, she will probably be under aneasthetic for a matter of minutes, its not like she will have an hour long op,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    A chap I know had to have all his out before they would do the heart bypass he needed. They were so awful-looking that no teeth was a huge visual improvement!

I feel you and your vet are into balancing one problem against another. Anasthetics and their use have improved hugely over the years, but you need to be back at the vets with her to explain her new symptoms.

I think she needs a few out. One is very grey. Like i said though she looked at it and was kind of "hmmm, yes a few could do with coming out, but you need to understand she may not come round from anasthetic especially with her heart problem" and didnt really give it much more discussion. We were there about her heart problem though.
    curlywurly wrote: »
    have a look inside her mouth she may have a broken tooth and rough edge that could be causing her discomfort and ulcers, if it were my dog then i would definitely have the offending tooth/teeth removed, she will probably be under aneasthetic for a matter of minutes, its not like she will have an hour long op,

Ah right, that may not be so bad then? A lady at work asked me "can she not just be sedated?" which I will also ask the vet.
  • curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she needs a few out. One is very grey. Like i said though she looked at it and was kind of "hmmm, yes a few could do with coming out, but you need to understand she may not come round from anasthetic especially with her heart problem" and didnt really give it much more discussion. We were there about her heart problem though.

Ah right, that may not be so bad then? A lady at work asked me "can she not just be sedated?" which I will also ask the vet.

it is a possibility, depending on how well behaved your dog is and if its just the one tooth, if she is highly strung and unpredictable then the vet would probably not want to risk her biting him or stressing her out un necessarily.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curlywurly wrote: »
    it is a possibility, depending on how well behaved your dog is and if its just the one tooth, if she is highly strung and unpredictable then the vet would probably not want to risk her biting him or stressing her out un necessarily.

She is great with the vet! When she had to have her x-rays they said she was good as gold and didnt budge, they loved her.

But then again - she has never liked anyone looking in her mouth. I can lay on the settee with my arms cuddled right round her, play with her ears or paws anything, but she doesnt like you opening her mouth to look, even to raise her lip. All she does though is sternly move her head, she doesnt growl or menace.

But saying that she may be even more sensitive if she has dodgy teeth.

I know there is always a risk with anasthetic that she may not come round, but how much bigger is the risk with a dodgy heart? Im going to ask the vet obviously but if anyone knows anything or can think of aything I can ask the vet Id be grateful.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our dog has the elderly dog check ups at the vet and has a similar problem. Even though her heart is OK, so far as we know, they advised to just keep an eye on it as they really don;t want to put her under, unless they have to. Wishing Ren good luck. x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very surprised when my 15 1/2 yo cat needed an X-Ray earlier this year - apparently they almost never need an anasthetic for x-rays and scans of both cats and dogs. But I doubt they'd want to do his teeth without one - it would be far more stressful for both him and the vet! He drew blood from the vet years ago when the vet was trying to give him a Drontal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Our dog has the elderly dog check ups at the vet and has a similar problem. Even though her heart is OK, so far as we know, they advised to just keep an eye on it as they really don;t want to put her under, unless they have to. Wishing Ren good luck. x
    I was very surprised when my 15 1/2 yo cat needed an X-Ray earlier this year - apparently they almost never need an anasthetic for x-rays and scans of both cats and dogs. But I doubt they'd want to do his teeth without one - it would be far more stressful for both him and the vet! He drew blood from the vet years ago when the vet was trying to give him a Drontal.
    And thanks as well.

No she didnt need an anasthetic for the x-ray but they said she might need to be sedated if she got arsey but she was ace :D

Anyway, just got back from the vet, she said her teeth were pretty bad. So we have some antibiotics and painkiller and we'll be booking her in for an op in the next few days.

The vet said there is a risk she might not come round but even though her heart problem raises the risk of her not coming round its still a low risk, so I reasoned that if she didnt come round it would be unfortunate but she was getting the operation for the right reasons. Or to leave her with bad teeth - thats not an option!

Thanks for the replies :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let us know how it turns out. Hopefully all well be well and Ren will be much happier and more comfortable afterwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ren has gone in today to get her teeth sorted. The anibiotics and painkillers have done heir magic the last few days and she has perked up no end and i can have her near my face without it melting.

hey are not giving her the usual anasthetic because of the risk with her heart, instead she is getting a combination of ketamine and diazepam so there is a good chance she will be high as a kite when she comes round. If there are any youtube worthy videos I shall post them for your enjoyment :D

Good luck gummy Ren xxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She had to have 11 teeth out in the end, her mouth is all wrong apparently. Her teeth dont grow enough into her jaw, they dont all line up correctly and the nerves grow backward instead of upward. We knew she had a freaky mouth because her jaw is undershot but didnt realise she was so deformed! She needed stitches where one tooth was bad - im guessing thats the one that caused the problems.

Anyway, she was tripping her box off all night long, and not in a good way, she was really freaked out. She would lie down for a while then suddenly jump down and wobble over to something she had imagined in her head. She didnt settle all night, she was coming up to us for cuddles then going to the end of the bed, sometimes she was crying - I think she was scared :( She was still a bit freaked this morning.

I didnt want to go to work today but had to so my husband has taken her to work with him. He said she is sat on his knee at his desk all docile, so hopefully she will get some sleep bless her.

The good thing is, is that dogs mouths heal quickly. SHe did actually eat last night and I crushed her meds into some food this morning.

Poor little Ren xxxxx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Ren indeed. It's good news that she's eating, I suspect she will feel a whole lot better in a week or two - and no more bad dog breath!
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw, she did well. Should make her more healthy overall as well, no more poisons going into her bloodstream. Bet all the anaesthetic will be out of her system later today and she'll be back to her old self in no time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Ren indeed. It's good news that she's eating, I suspect she will feel a whole lot better in a week or two - and no more bad dog breath!

yes her breath cleared up in a few days last week! When I filled her bowl last night, she wolfed it down and kept wandering over for more as well, so im glad her appetite hasnt gone.
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    Aw, she did well. Should make her more healthy overall as well, no more poisons going into her bloodstream. Bet all the anaesthetic will be out of her system later today and she'll be back to her old self in no time.

yes, hopefully after the last two months of worry she should be back to her annoying, jolly, little, short arsed, furry self.

Its cost an arm and a leg, we've cancelled our holiday but she is worth every penny :) I hope she never needs an op ever again, it was so sad seeing her so bewildered yesterday :(:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like the sedation whilst safer than a GA took longer to wear off.

But fingers cross no more ops for her and no more pain for your wallet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bloody Ren!

Just had her to the emergency vets after passing out in the garden :( She was doing that reverse sneezing and she started to vomit and passed out. Her gums went white and her tongue went almost blue, the vet said she has heart arythmia. She's on the best combination of medicine for her heart, so the only thing we can now do is get an ECG.... which may not show anything if the arythmia isnt present. Shes OK now, if a little subdued, but I just want her better :(