Sim Free Mobiles

neyney Posts: 12,516
Forum Member
✭✭
Im looking for a new sim free mobile on 02 well been thinking about one as I want to keep my mobile number but I see buying a sim free mobile is £2 or £3 dearer than buying a mobile with a new sim in it. Why is that.

Darren

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote:
    Im looking for a new sim free mobile on 02 well been thinking about one as I want to keep my mobile number but I see buying a sim free mobile is £2 or £3 dearer than buying a mobile with a new sim in it. Why is that.

Darren
    sim free means the phone has the original makers firmware and no brandidg on the firmware or housing.
    payg phones are subsidised which is why they are cheaper.
    the difference is usually a lot more than £3
    if you get a payg o2 phone from cpw, i think they use sim free stock anyway
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ram33 wrote:
    sim free means the phone has the original makers firmware and no brandidg on the firmware or housing.
    payg phones are subsidised which is why they are cheaper.
    the difference is usually a lot more than £3

I will have a look around. Im in no hurry to get a new mobile but would want a new one at some point. Had my Sony Ericsson T230 just over 2 years now got if from a deal 02 was doing at the time and sim free and it would be nice if I could still keep the same mobile number I that I have had nearly 3 years now. I been almost 100% happy with this mobile. Was better than the mobile I had before that a Siemens C45 had that just under a year and It used to play up once in a while.

Darren
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most of Carphone Warhouses Pay As You Go Phones are unbranded and unlocked, even though the phones are priced differently for different networks. This means you could potentially save money by buying the phone on a different network from O2 (Orange for example) and sticking your O2 SIM card in it.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ney wrote:
    I will have a look around. Im in no hurry to get a new mobile but would want a new one at some point. Had my Sony Ericsson T230 just over 2 years now got if from a deal 02 was doing at the time and sim free and it would be nice if I could still keep the same mobile number I that I have had nearly 3 years now. I been almost 100% happy with this mobile. Was better than the mobile I had before that a Siemens C45 had that just under a year and It used to play up once in a while.

Darren
    If you want to stay with O2, you can buy any O2 phone and just pop your current SIM in it.

If you want to change networks, you can obtain a PAC off O2 customer service and give that to the new network provider allowing your current number to be ported to the new network/sim.

You only really need a phone unlocked ("sim free") if you want to use other network SIMs in it. (Buying a sim free will also ensure the phone has no network branding on it as previously mentioned)