Options

If you buy a new born kitten then can you train it not to be aggressive?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a cat atm and she's lovely but when I move out of my parents house which Im hoping to once im 18 then Im thinking of getting a kitten, as the cat I have right now is staying put.

I had a vicious cat before this one though and Im thinking you CAN train kittens from a young age not to be aggressive much easier than an adult cat? Is this true?

Comments

• Options
    MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a cat atm and she's lovely but when I move out of my parents house which Im hoping to once im 18 then Im thinking of getting a kitten, as the cat I have right now is staying put.

I had a vicious cat before this one though and Im thinking you CAN train kittens from a young age not to be aggressive much easier than an adult cat? Is this true?

Of course it's true, i have never had a vicious cat, i think maybe it depends on the cats general temperament, but the 2 cats i have that i brought up from being kittens don't have a vicious bone in their bodies. I didn't particularly train them as such, they've just grown up to be very playful cuddly cats.

Just a word of advice, when you leave your parents house, think long & hard about getting a kitten, they will be with you possibly for the next 20 years! And they can be expensive!
    Not meaning to put you off, but i think some people get cats and don't realise how long they will be with them for & the expense they can be.
    Also most rental properties don't let you have pets - that's another thing to consider. :)
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I have a cat that was very vicious (she was feral before an old lady took her in as a kitten and gave her to the RSPCA as she couldn't cope with her). I think because she was feral she never got the human interaction as a kitten that would have made her calmer. I have always been patient with her even when she was at her worst but she has always been nicer to me than the rest of my family. She is soft as putty now, she loves nothing better than lying on my lap or between me and my partner on the sofa. She still has an evil side but it just doesn't come out as often now. You just have to be patient they are only vicious as they are scared or nervous. My family were amazed at how much she had changed and calmed down since we moved into our own place, I think because me and my other half are both quite laid back and chilled it has rubbed off on her.

I have to reiterate they are expensive though, on top of food, you have flea treatments, vets bills it all adds up.

I want to add that my parents have a cat that was hand-reared from 4 weeks old and was looked after by a dog because her mother sadly got run over(the dog took it upon itself to look after the kittens), she is lovely doesn't meow much when she does it's quite a surprise. Another one of theirs was also hand-reared as he was dumped at the RSPCA and he is like a living teddy bear so soft and cuddly. But it is how they are looked after and cared for that makes them nice cats.
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I've had my younger cat from being a stray kitten. She is two now and very loving but she does have a tendency to nip sometimes. We have read up on this and it seems that we may have over-stimulated her as a kitten by being so cuddly with her. So now we ration the cuddles, hard though it is, and she is much improved in this regard. :)
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you train a cat from birth not to exhibit cat like behaviour? No

Even the most placid of cats will display some form of aggression so unless you plan to keep them indoors and never play with them etc then there will be some level of aggression.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you train a cat from birth not to exhibit cat like behaviour? No

Even the most placid of cats will display some form of aggression so unless you plan to keep them indoors and never play with them etc then there will be some level of aggression.

I totaly agree . I have a multicat house hold. I also am trying too trap feral cats in my area to neuter/trap/release back in the area. These cats can not be tamed at all.

You can not guarentte what a cat will be like when they are older. A placid cat now might not be placid later on and a aggresive cat might not be agressive it might go tame.

They are expensive especialy with vet, food, neutering, chipping regular worming and fleaing and insurance and if you go away you will either have too put in a catterey or get a pet sitter. If you dont get insurance it can run expensive as well
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All mine were rescue kittens none more than 10 weeks old when we got them all were loving cats at home (even the feral pair) but outside the home they were cats at heart and ruthless hunters and the boys weren't shy of a fight now and then either.

Could we have trained that out of them ? No I don't think so as it would have made them less than cats I think. If you want a none aggressive animal perhaps a cat is not the one for you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean train them so they won't scratch me to f**k? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When we got Big H he was about 4 years old, a rescue cat. Luckily he was trained to use his litter box/scratching post so the furniture was safe,but until he trusted me, you went to pick him up the wrong way and he'd bite or scratch you. I think once the kitten learns to trust you and knows you're not going to hurt it, it shouldn't scratch you.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only time ours ever scratched us was when putting them in baskets to go to the vet or if we bathed them. Oven gloves was the answer !
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't pi55 of your cat and he / she will not scratch you.

The only time Amber scratches us is if we corner her or of the OH teases her....
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess you've not heard that dogs have owners and cats have slaves...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cats_five wrote: »
    I guess you've not heard that dogs have owners and cats have slaves...

Haha, I don't think so, that s**t won't wash with me lol
  • Options
    curlywurlycurlywurly Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes by giving it a lot of attention, by playing, grooming and handling him/her. try not t wake him from naps though because like puppies kittens also need their rest and down time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say try to go for a tom and make sure he gets neutered - they tend to be the least aggressive in my experience (25 years and 10 cats :D)

When you have him then dote on him...don't antagonise him or tease him. My daughter's cat was a very timid creature when we brought him and his sister home from the rescue centre. But she kept him with her constantly and doted on him. He's now the biggest bundle of daftness you could imagine. We call him Big Mo or Doofus. I'd post faster but he's trying to sleep on the keyboard. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curlywurly wrote: »
    [/B]

yes by giving it a lot of attention, by playing, grooming and handling him/her. try not t wake him from naps though because like puppies kittens also need their rest and down time.

I love that about kittens. It's 100mph or dead stop. I've had them just drop in the middle of the floor and start snoring. :D
  • Options
    cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, I don't think so, that s**t won't wash with me lol

Then you don't really understand the main difference in the nature of cats and dogs. (OPs reply to cats have staff, dogs have owners)
  • Options
    pixiebootspixieboots Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dont use your hands to play with them, use a toy instead. If they're used to curling onto your hands and biting and scratching or trying to catch your fingers etc in play as a kitten then they'll carry on doing it full grown and think that hands are on the agenda.

My Dad used to do this with his massive asbestos hands hardened from years of outdoor work and us kids were left with plenty of scars as our moggy thought she could do the same with us.

I never played with any of my cats using my hands and none of them bite or scratch (unless we're giving them medication :D)

Betty was 4 months and had been mistreated when she came to us and used to bite and scratch unpredictably when stroked but has calmed down to a gentle squeeze with her jaws when she's had enough now, although if you dont stop then she will attack.

Holding them against their will for a cuddle tends to make them scratchy too.
  • Options
    angleboxanglebox Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our cats have all been rescue cats. The current one lived in a stable in a bleak coastal area and was only caught when, aged 3 years, she had kittens. We took her from the rescue centre straight to the vets where she was so frightened that the surgery was covered in blood afterwards - none of it hers. The vet refuses to go near her now and lets his trainee see to her. As for us she is totally soft, never bites, appreciates warmth and comfort by refusing to go out of doors. She has travelled the length and breadth of Britain and stays with us wherever we go in our touring caravan. It took a while for her to accept us but we let her do it in her own time and on her own terms. I sometimes wonder what happened to that scruffy ball of fur, claws and teeth especially when she makes me sit on a less comfortable chair than my regular chair. Oh I nearly forgot she shows her appreciation of me by depositing her loose black fur on my white clothes and her white fur on my black clothes - appreciative or what!!