Options

How come all the men at Wimbledon wear their shirts hanging out?

randy toksvigrandy toksvig Posts: 275
Forum Member
It seems that every man has to wear an untucked shirt now! They wouldn't allow this in many other sports such as golf, cricket and table tennis.

Comments

• Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,035
    Forum Member
    Maybe they un-tuck it for better movement or if they are getting hot?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sport not a dinner dance.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that every man has to wear an untucked shirt now! They wouldn't allow this in many other sports such as golf, cricket and table tennis.

Be thankful that's all they have hanging out! :o

One thing I've also noticed over the years at Wimbledon is that, unlike other summer sports events like cricket, there is never a shirtless person in the crowd, so I presume they have a code of conduct that tells men to keep their shirts on, no matter how hot.

Notice that a lot of jewellery gets worn by both men and women players, watches, chains etc. This surprises me, because in my old PE lessons every last watch and jewellery item, pendants and other stuff had to all be removed before a class. Yet here are the top sports people wearing it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    Maybe they un-tuck it for better movement or if they are getting hot?

So up until recent years the men never got hot or moved around?
    I think it is just sloppy dressing. With the high standards at Wimbledon I'm surprised they do not have stricter rules.
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, how would you have coped back in the 60s when John Newcombe used to spit on the grass?
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I think it is just sloppy dressing. With the high standards at Wimbledon I'm surprised they do not have stricter rules.

Why would you tuck a t-shirt in? :D You have a strange opinion on what sloppy dressing is :D
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd thread.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Things started going downhill when they ditched the long trousers.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

Which decade are you living in? Only weirdos tuck a polo shirt or t-shirt in.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,035
    Forum Member

Fair point but then years ago they probably didn't have sponsors on the shirt etc.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back the long trousers for men and ankle length skirts for women. No bare shoulders either.
  • Options
    the albionthe albion Posts: 506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe a lot of contributors on here are too young to remember when it was the right and proper thing to tuck a tennis shirt into shorts.

In response to the OP I'm afraid fashions change and style of dress is much more casual these days. Unless Wimbledon bring in a strict rule (which I can't see happening) then the men will continue to wear untucked shirts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    Why would you tuck a t-shirt in? :D You have a strange opinion on what sloppy dressing is :D

Yes I have always tucked in as did the players for many years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing a clip of John McEnroe playing Jimmy Connors in the 1982 Mens Final I was real amused to see just how tight those shorts were back in the 1980's, even though I remember watching that match at the time.
    Which are better, baggy or tight?
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Seeing a clip of John McEnroe playing Jimmy Connors in the 1982 Mens Final I was real amused to see just how tight those shorts were back in the 1980's, even though I remember watching that match at the time.
    Which are better, baggy or tight?

From a player's point of view, I've no idea. As an admirer of Rafa's bum, I wish that tight style would come back.:o:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Things started going downhill when they ditched the long trousers.

:D:D

So true.

I was just going to quote a well known tennis player in reply to the OP
    "You cannot be serious." :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muggsy wrote: »
    From a player's point of view, I've no idea. As an admirer of Rafa's bum, I wish that tight style would come back.:o:D

Why did it go away? :confused:

(perhaps because some players like to stick about 3 tennis balls down their shorts?) :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I have always tucked in as did the players for many years.

How old are you? 90?
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    & how come im told "You look silly wearing socks with shorts", when I say "Do all the tennis players look silly, then" Im told " no thats different"?
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    & how come im told "You look silly wearing socks with shorts", when I say "Do all the tennis players look silly, then" Im told " no thats different"?
    Because they don't wear sandals.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    Because they don't wear sandals.

So socks/shorts are ok as long as its not sandals?
    Explain why shorts/sandal/socks look "Daft" but not if your wearing trainers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    So socks/shorts are ok as long as its not sandals?
    Explain why shorts/sandal/socks look "Daft" but not if your wearing trainers?

Sandals with socks is plain wrong.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    One thing I've also noticed over the years at Wimbledon is that, unlike other summer sports events like cricket, there is never a shirtless person in the crowd, so I presume they have a code of conduct that tells men to keep their shirts on, no matter how hot.

From the rules:

BEHAVIOUR
    The use of any annoying or dangerous behaviour, foul or abusive language or obscene gestures, the removal of shirts or any clothing likely to cause offence and the climbing onto any building, wall or other structure/equipment and the use of wheeled footwear is forbidden and may result in ejection from the Grounds.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/visitor_a_to_z/201205161337179069416.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    From the rules:

BEHAVIOUR
    The use of any annoying or dangerous behaviour, foul or abusive language or obscene gestures, the removal of shirts or any clothing likely to cause offence and the climbing onto any building, wall or other structure/equipment and the use of wheeled footwear is forbidden and may result in ejection from the Grounds.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/visitor_a_to_z/201205161337179069416.html

Thanks. I particularly loved the "wheeled footwear" one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is interesting to read the rules about spectators. I had never thought about this but they do seem like a different breed to say a one-day cricket crowd.

Does anybody have the dress code for the players?