Options

BBC News: Snow Across Britain

Comments

• Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The snow we've had is nothing compared to when i was a kid. It's just a BBC (government) scheme to make us think snow is our fault and they should tax farts :cool:
  • Options
    HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newsflash to BBC....it's WINTER!!
  • Options
    stonostono Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    In March and April, the BBC will devote blanket coverage to the trees blooming.

its called Springwatch :D
  • Options
    UlfgeirrUlfgeirr Posts: 3,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People from colder countries must be p****** themselves laughing!

http://youtu.be/AlainKhAChY

I think he speaks on behalf of all Swedes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Goodness grief, for the last two days you would have thought the world was gonna end because we were gonna have a couple of inches of snow........utterley pathetic.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    When i heard QOS had been replaced by a news special, which is just about snow....

Unbeiievable!

As if they haven’t gone way overboard already through the day on the News channel. How annoying for them to have report on real news in Algeria when they’d clearly rather spend that time prattling on about an inch of snow.

Saddens me to say it but Sky News are no better this time around. Watching that you’d think an apocalypse was imminent as well.

It’s like the news is being programmed by five year olds for five year olds. The BBC must be praying for a royal to get stuck in the snow so they can then combine their two favourite subjects - weather and royalty.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the BBC's logic in this time of programme. They moved all the kids programmes to their dedicated channels so why couldn't they just left this type of programme to the news channel and give it a bit of promotion on BBC One before it started. I could understand if it was a big national/international news story but snow in Winter is hardly a major story.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This program only boost the ratings of Snooker and other channels :D

In all serious if you want real news on free-view go to channel 83 ;)
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be confusing to those who saw us do such a good job of staging the Olympics.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Florian wrote: »
    Really?

Is it necessary for BBC1 prime time on a Friday to have a news special about snow across Britain in January replacing the scheduled programme? Surely they can just show it on the BBC News Channel.

Probably cos it's hit London at last so it's huge news. if there was no snow in London it would barely get a mention.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

Saddens me to say it but Sky News are no better this time around. Watching that you’d think an apocalypse was imminent as well.

As I've just said - it's cos London's got it.

We in the North have had snow and ice for over a week Day before yesterday the woman doing the paper review saw mention of snow chaos to come and said 'Well, we've had no snow, have we?' - cos she was in London. Which always looked bone dry when you saw reporters standing in various parts of London.
    So Sky barely mentioned it.

But today - horror of horrors - snow reached London so suddenly it's Headline News.
  • Options
    John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    The twitter reactions to this are quite funny, quite like this schedule

6pm - News about snow
    6.30pm Regional news about snow
    7pm - One Show about snow
    7.30pm Snow Special

The people on Twitter certainly know all about 'trivia'.:sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally speaking this snow has been a non event so far, although I do feel sorry for the people who still haven't cleaned up after the flooding before Christmas.

All of the channels news reports were quite pathetic this morning, trying to talk it up when we could plainly see there was only a little covering of snow in most locations. Tomorrow evening there's a programme on BBC about the winter of 1962/3. Now, that was a real winter! But, schools didn't close, buses and, as far as I know trains, kept running and life went on. Remember, in those days, many people didn't have cars, freezers or central heating.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    Hardly a waste as they probably haven't spent any more than they would have done anyway covering it through the day. So actually a saving.

However I don't disagree that it's a little over the top, especially as the predictions for snow in the east were incorrect - we hardly got any. Ironically, we had loads earlier in the week with Norfolk's roads grinding to a halt on TUesday afternoon and people taking several hours to do journeys that would normally take minutes. Yet this was ignored by the national media, whilst we've had little if any snow during the day today and there is blanket coverage!

Indeed, it's PSB broadcasting from our PSB broadcaster - and what was lost? A repeat of Question of Sport.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Generally speaking this snow has been a non event so far, although I do feel sorry for the people who still haven't cleaned up after the flooding before Christmas.

All of the channels news reports were quite pathetic this morning, trying to talk it up when we could plainly see there was only a little covering of snow in most locations. Tomorrow evening there's a programme on BBC about the winter of 1962/3. Now, that was a real winter! But, schools didn't close, buses and, as far as I know trains, kept running and life went on. Remember, in those days, many people didn't have cars, freezers or central heating.

I remember in the 80s getting a letter from my kids' school warning parents that children should still come to school even in snowy weather, and threatening punishments if they did not come in without very good reason.

Now kids can't go in anyway, as schools close at the drop of a hat, or should I say snowflake.:D
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zzzzzzzzz snow in January Shock !? I live in Wales lots of snow today, news of which didn't top the news bulletins until it started to snow in South East!
    30 min 'special ' was over the top but.... Better than QOS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Ulfgeirr wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/AlainKhAChY

I think he speaks on behalf of all Swedes.

Well the Swedes can bog off, to be fair, we don't get it often, they're used to it.

I'm sure if the Swedes got a sudden heatwave they'd be complaining about the weather
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    To Quote Charlie Brooker....

ITS NOT NEWS >>>> ITS "WEATHER".

We have had snow for weeks and more days at sub 2 degree temps ..then Englandshire panic woosy niave petty islanders in the south go media manic frenzy over a day of snow we knew was coming...FFS.:mad:

Get a grip of yourselves. Any idea how wimpy, backward , naive, thick and dumb your country is being publicicsed as ?

Its snow !!! people live in this all year round ?

If ever there was a case for Scottish independance ...it is to free them from English snow media.
  • Options
    CherylFanCherylFan Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah but it gives them another chance to wheel out the old global warming conspiracy rubbish.
    Did you see Alex Jones at the end of the One Show? Kitted out like she was in the Arctic.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,959
    Forum Member
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Words are failing me....but I'll try.

It's been snowing incredibly heavy up here for the whole week with little nod nor mention on even the Beeb's patronising weather forecasts.

It begins to snow towards the South and all hell breaks loose.

They did it in 2010 when the M25 became gridlocked and it suddenly became major news and they simulcast BBC1 with the NC all morning.

It's utterly utterly pathetic.

Are you saying the South get special treatment? That snow in South Wales is deemed more important than snow in the North East?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's true, it's only news when it happens in London!

Very little of the coverage has been about London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have a Swedish friend, she finds anything about British people with snow hilarious.

You have snow but don't go to work? You British are strange haha- is a typical quote from her on the subject

Well if you live in a country that has huge amounts of snow, you will clearly be better prepared for it.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, cos , like none of us know about it... like

Sounds like the airmen from Armstrong and Miller Show.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very little of the coverage has been about London.

My point was that weather like this happens in other parts of the country and it doesnt get mentioned on the main news, until it hits the South East and then it gets noticed. As mentioned by other posters also.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My point was that weather like this happens in other parts of the country and it doesnt get mentioned on the main news, until it hits the South East and then it gets noticed. As mentioned by other posters also.

I watched the coverage today. Most of it was focused on Bristol, the West Midlands and Wales. Very little mention of London, other than Heathrow.