Options

2014 Classic Series DVD Releases

Comments

• Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the BBC Shop have dispatched my 50th Anniversary Boxset too.
    I thought release was over a week away. How long does it usually take for something from the BBC Shop to arrive? This is the first time I've bought from there.

(I live in Northern Ireland, by the way so I'm still within the UK)
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My local Cex came up trumps today.

Spiders, Robot, Logopolis, Castrovalva & Androzani, plus one I really wanted to get an upgrade from the old VHS of, Ambassadors.

By the way, I dunno if this is on the part of the person selling the stock to Cex or Cex themselves, but I had Warriors Gate, Logopolis & Castrovalva as separate releases but the spine numbers suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to bbc shop twitter the 50th aniversary blu ray set wont be on 3d https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCShop/status/499522920340000769

Also wouldn't look too much into dispatch emails from BBC shop. They accidently sent enemy of the world dispatched emails about 5 days before they actually dispatched them.
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    May be old news, but there's a really rather wonderful looking limited edition of S8 now available for preorder on the BBC Shop. The box even makes the TARDIS noise.

And with the discount code it's actually cheaper than the regular edition is on Amazon.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    According to bbc shop twitter the 50th aniversary blu ray set wont be on 3d https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCShop/status/499522920340000769

Also wouldn't look too much into dispatch emails from BBC shop. They accidently sent enemy of the world dispatched emails about 5 days before they actually dispatched them.

WTF?!! Many thanks for this heads up, I have just cancelled my order. What are the BBC playing at?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May be old news, but there's a really rather wonderful looking limited edition of S8 now available for preorder on the BBC Shop. The box even makes the TARDIS noise.

And with the discount code it's actually cheaper than the regular edition is on Amazon.

It may be wonderful looking but if the content is no good it's not worth buying. The two episodes shown so far do not encourage me to buy it.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It may be wonderful looking but if the content is no good it's not worth buying. The two episodes shown so far do not encourage me to buy it.

Holding out for the Love and Monsters Limited Standalone release, huh - I know you too well!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm a completist, so I'd be getting it no matter what (I've got Paradise Towers, Horns of Nimon and The Dominators on DVD - not stooped to Time & The Rani yet, though, haha), so may as well go for the SE.

That's not to say I've disliked this run so far, though.

And - I cannot stress this enough - THE BOX MAKES TARDIS NOISES!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Holding out for the Love and Monsters Limited Standalone release, huh - I know you too well!

Do you? I've got that on the Series 2 box set so why would I want to buy a standalone release?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a completist, so I'd be getting it no matter what (I've got Paradise Towers, Horns of Nimon and The Dominators on DVD - not stooped to Time & The Rani yet, though, haha), so may as well go for the SE.

That's not to say I've disliked this run so far, though.

And - I cannot stress this enough - THE BOX MAKES TARDIS NOISES!

I did get Time and The Rani but not Mark and not Paradise Towers, otherwise I've got all the classic releases. Like you, I was (almost) a completist and even bought New Series 5 and 6 just because there were one or two decent stories amongst the dross. But I just couldn't bring myself to waste money on S7. Something, sadly, a few years ago I thought I would never say. But very good point about the TARDIS noises and hopefully I may yet buy S8 if the stories improve!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you? I've got that on the Series 2 box set so why would I want to buy a standalone release?

Ahhh, classic Gatherer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did get Time and The Rani but not Mark and not Paradise Towers, otherwise I've got all the classic releases. Like you, I was (almost) a completist and even bought New Series 5 and 6 just because there were one or two decent stories amongst the dross. But I just couldn't bring myself to waste money on S7. Something, sadly, a few years ago I thought I would never say.

I've got Mark >_<
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Ahhh, classic Gatherer.

Sorry you've lost me. But shouldn't you be posting about the topic, not other forum members?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tough crowd. Carry on.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saving the new series on my freeview recorder so will be in no rush to get the s8 set unless there are some exceptional extras on it otherwise I will be waiting for next year when the price drops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WTF?!! Many thanks for this heads up, I have just cancelled my order. What are the BBC playing at?

The stand alone of day of the doctor had problems with having both 2d and 3d on the same disc. I think its a good thing that its not as it prevents the problems being repeated.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received an e-mail telling me that my 50th Anniversary Sets were shipping. Considering the fact that I live in Texas, they might actually be shipping out today. :)

Also, I watched The Greatest Show in The Galaxy last night. It was weird. I think that I like the concept more than I like the finished product. The scene where The Doctor was entertaining "The Gods of Ragnarok" at the end in the "arena" was hilarious (although possibly for the wrong reasons). However, I did find some of the acting quite good, the head clown and Captain Cook especially. I could have done without the rapping ringleader, though. LOL! :)
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the dispatch email for the 50th set on Saturday but the money was only taken from my account on Tuesday. I am guessing I will get the set by Saturday latest judging by my previous experiences with the bbc shop.
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    got my email a few days ago too. Probably be a few weeks before it gets here though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Any idea when Amazon will despatch my copy? What are they usually like with Pre orders?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    The stand alone of day of the doctor had problems with having both 2d and 3d on the same disc. I think its a good thing that its not as it prevents the problems being repeated.

It isn't a good thing if you specifically ordered it because you wanted the 3D version.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DrOswald wrote: »
    Any idea when Amazon will despatch my copy? What are they usually like with Pre orders?

They usually dispatch the item two days before release day by 1st class post so that it arrives on release. Sometimes if you're unlucky, they'll dispatch it the day before release and it will arrive the day after release.

And if you're really unlucky (as I was once), they will dispatch the day before release by 1st class post and it will take over a week to arrive.

Basically, if the release date is 8th September, you can probably expect it to be dispatched on the 6th.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever happened to Underwater Menace "sometime" in 2014? I guess its either shelved of delayed even longer. I want it only to close and complete my classic who (Hartnell to Davison not bothered with the last 2 although I have the odd story from them).
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    whatever happened to Underwater Menace "sometime" in 2014? I guess its either shelved of delayed even longer. I want it only to close and complete my classic who (Hartnell to Davison not bothered with the last 2 although I have the odd story from them).

Like I said in post #844:
    I realized today that I haven't posted this in nearly three months. It hasn't changed at all, but it is good to re-post it occasionally. Thus, here is our list:

The Underwater Menace: UK: ?, US: ?

Right now, that is the only previously announced serial release on which we are waiting. (We would all probably love a Crusade release, but that has never been announced.)

Sadly, we may still be waiting on this release well into 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't a good thing if you specifically ordered it because you wanted the 3D version.

But I doubt there is much people willing to pay 30 quid specifically to get the 3d version when the stand alone 3d version is fine. Its only when watched in 2d was when there was problems with the stand alone version.