Options

Using my 9200 remote in another room

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
Hello all!

I recently bought a Humax 9200 which I LOVE! I am using the SCART cable to output to my main television in our living room, and I'm using the RF output to output a signal to my television in the bedroom, which works an absolute treat. However, when I'm watching television in my bedroom I have to go into the living room to use the remote control!! Not good!! Does anybody know of any kind of neat gadget that will allow me to use my remote in my bedroom to control my unit in the living room?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Regards,
David

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    The simplest kit is a pair of units, one of which you aim your remote control at. It transmits a radio signal to the other unit, which beams an infra-red signal to your equipment . You can get these things in Argos or Maplin, I should think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The threads within this one are quite revealing!

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=415418
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    I bought a gadget from Tesco that is a combined TV sender (connected to source by a composite video connection and a pair of audio connections, receiver box is connected to the TV in the same way) and IR remote control extender. The IR transducer is on the end of a fairly long cable that plugs into the sender unit; I just have it dangling down in front of the 9200.

I'm only actually using it for the IR extender functionality but at £25 it didn't seem worth shopping around for something that only did IR! I haven't tested the video sending at all but it works fine with the 9200 as an IR extender.

I'm thinking about getting another one so that the 9200 can be controlled from the kitchen as well as the sitting room and the bedroom - the RF output is distributed to all rooms in the house.

My only concerns were interference with my wireless network or my alarm system but I haven't had any problems with either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Beware of using wireless TV sender type equipment as I have found that they can interfere with wireless network signals.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    I am using a One4All IR sender with my 9200 to do exactly what you describe and it works perfectly, I got mine on ebay for about £25 delivered.

They are called wireless remote senders or extenders - there are loads on ebay

Its two boxes with aerials sticking out, the transmitter goes in the bedroom near the TV, the receiver goes in the room with the Humax - on a bookshelf on the opposite wall and works fine.

I also tried an Argos video and IR sender which did not work at all, so not sure if I had a faulty unit or if there are different IR frequencies so some will work when others won't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    muckeye22 wrote:
    Hello all!

I recently bought a Humax 9200 which I LOVE! I am using the SCART cable to output to my main television in our living room, and I'm using the RF output to output a signal to my television in the bedroom, which works an absolute treat. However, when I'm watching television in my bedroom I have to go into the living room to use the remote control!! Not good!! Does anybody know of any kind of neat gadget that will allow me to use my remote in my bedroom to control my unit in the living room?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Regards,
    David

Assuming you have a partner, it depends how much of the solution you want to see, I use magic eyes which I had for my sky+ box, thankfully gone, with a TV LinkPlus that allows the remote control you want. All you see is an IR "blaster" that sits infront of the HUMAX, but even my wife who's paranoid about wires, doesn't notice it. Everthing else is hidden behind the TV's, no other wires, ariel boxes etc.

Woolfnorm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I've tried using the IR wireless senders (Powermid dual power) but not had much success.
    The TV Link Plus and Magic eye works great over the coax cable.