The HARRY POTTER Books

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished them all, and enjoyed them. However, I couldn't help but find the mix in the earlier books- of cartoon/comic strip level humorous japes and incidents, on the one hand, and danger, doom and darkness on the other-a slightly lumpy mixture hard to digest on occasion. Also, I had to reread Deathly Hallows a couple of times to be able to fully comprehend all the twists and turns.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally LOVE the Harry Potter books. Great story and characters. :D
  • Hurry Up!Hurry Up! Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I loved them all because I got the books during the whole hype... if I had got them after the hype died down surrounding the books I may have not read the last 2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    I think the thing with Harry Potter is that people who didn't grow up with the series aren't as likely to find the magic in the books.
    As in, if someone were to pick up the books now, while they may find it a good read and enjoy the ride, they'll never know the feeling of being 11 years old when Harry was, waiting for each book and wondering, speculating what will happen next.
    Watching your characters grow up before your eyes and weeping when someone dies or leaves :cry::p

Personally, I love Harry Potter, I read my first book when I was 10 years old and they have been such a big part of my life.
    The films, I'm not as keen on. They're as good as adaptations of books as deep and involved as Harry Potter could get, but details are missed and characters aren't as developed.

I'll always love Harry Potter, but I can understand why others might think it as over-rated, if it was never that big a part of their life.
    There's no way anyone can deny the imagination behind it though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    i think Snape could have lived, been revealed as a hero, and been reconciled with Harry. It would have been more satisfying for me.

Living (and dying) as a double agent must be the worst way to go.

Agree, I loved that JK killed off characters in DH, it's such a rare occurance in such a dangerous series and really took the books from childrens books to brilliant novels, for me anyway.

However, Snapes story is one that will forever break my heart. The fact that he never got to know that everything he suffered for wasn't in vain.
  • robo2robo2 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ignored them for years thinking they were a load of crap, then read them earlier on in the year over 10 days and really enjoyed them. shes managed to turn a lot of old ideas (the school novel, wizards, the quest for a set of important items, the byronic hero (snape)) into an extremley well written and satisfying series of books. shes up there with roald dahl as the finest childrens author for me. compared to some of the terribly written pap that is out there now (twlight) she is a class above
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JK Rowling is planning something. More details at this Link http://wizardinglife.com/2011/06/jk-rowling-has-more-for-fan/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    JK Rowling is planning something. More details at this Link http://wizardinglife.com/2011/06/jk-rowling-has-more-for-fan/

Well it isn't a book, so I have almost lost interest already, I can't think of anything that is equally exciting so not really hold out much hope, I will keep searching for the locations though.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happened to be passing a bookshop several years bacl which had the first 3 at £1 each.

"Oh well" I thought "why not".

Read them each once. Found them light, fluffy but very underwhelming.

Gave it a couple of years and, between other books, decided to give part one a second look.

Within 100 pages I tossed it aside never to be looked at again. I shall be donating some books to a charity shop soon - they shall top the pile (in good condition).

Concluded that it sold a lot on 'magic' but I've seen this kind of thing done so much better.

Found almost all the characters uninteresting and the plots simplistic.

And as for the writing style.........:(

The films have a use for me though - if they are shown on a weekend afternoon and I am at home they can be the inducement to a pleasant afternoon nap.
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Happened to be passing a bookshop several years bacl which had the first 3 at £1 each.

"Oh well" I thought "why not".

Read them each once. Found them light, fluffy but very underwhelming.

Gave it a couple of years and, between other books, decided to give part one a second look.

Within 100 pages I tossed it aside never to be looked at again. I shall be donating some books to a charity shop soon - they shall top the pile (in good condition).

Concluded that it sold a lot on 'magic' but I've seen this kind of thing done so much better.

Found almost all the characters uninteresting and the plots simplistic.

And as for the writing style.........:(

The films have a use for me though - if they are shown on a weekend afternoon and I am at home they can be the inducement to a pleasant afternoon nap.

I think you have said this somewhere else, I am sure I have seen the same comment before. Shame they are not on TV more often, as you must be being deprived of some pleasant afternoon naps :)

The books are not for everyone, but at least you gave them a try before dismissing them, I know people who call the books **** and when I ask which of the books they read they say none I wouldn't read them because they are ****. Which to me is just plain stupid.
    Forum Member

Here is another link to do with the JK Rowling Announcement. Some people think it will be Ebook version of Harry Potter - which I thought would be coming about now, with the release of the last film, very business savvy JK is :)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you have said this somewhere else, I am sure I have seen the same comment before. Shame they are not on TV more often, as you must be being deprived of some pleasant afternoon naps :)

Oh I can still have an afternoon nap - they just helped:D
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is another link to do with the JK Rowling Announcement. Some people think it will be Ebook version of Harry Potter - which I thought would be coming about now, with the release of the last film, very business savvy JK is :)

My guess:
    - "Pottermore" could be an online Harry Potter encyclopedia (reason: prior to its launch coordinates appeared on various related websites and, when entered into a mapping site they took you to locations - e.g. Manchester Piccadilly station - with text overlaid explaining how that location tied into the books.)
    - Ebook versions of the series, probably on iPad only so they can have colour covers and link directly to "Pottermore".
    Forum Member

Anyone playing and not worked it out please don't look:
    Here are the coordinates and the letters:

42.523356,-70.890698
    51.530377,-0.123259
    29.952313,-90.067849
    -23.547149, -46.520266
    51.781383,-2.56844
    43.640408,-79.388795
    53.476311,-2.22971

The letters come to this ETOTOPERRM which after a nice jumble it comes to POTTERMORE which if you put a dot com on the end, then you have a new website established by JK Rowling.

www.pottermore.com

I am not really that bothered about the announcement but the little viral advertising was fun.
    Forum Member
    Nasalhair wrote: »
    My guess:
    - "Pottermore" could be an online Harry Potter encyclopedia (reason: prior to its launch coordinates appeared on various related websites and, when entered into a mapping site they took you to locations - e.g. Manchester Piccadilly station - with text overlaid explaining how that location tied into the books.)
    - Ebook versions of the series, probably on iPad only so they can have colour covers and link directly to "Pottermore".

Yeah it is possibly an encyclopedia, I thought that after working out the coordinates, but for me not a great announcement, and will be a case of the viral advertising was more fun than what they were advertising :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumour going around that Pottermore = Potter Multimedia Online Resource Encyclopedia
    Forum Member
    Rumour going around that Pottermore = Potter Multimedia Online Resource Encyclopedia

Why is this so exciting for Potter fans, I am a Potter fan. But I can not see the appeal. It is basically a Harry Potter Wiki with a few extra bits that JK has made up.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So yes, part of the announcement is about e-books, but the main part is for an on-line inter-active HP reading experience beginning in October.

If interested, attempt to register now on http://www.pottermore.com/ for more information.
    Forum Member
    DJW13 wrote: »
    So yes, part of the announcement is about e-books, but the main part is for an on-line inter-active HP reading experience beginning in October.

If interested, attempt to register now on http://www.pottermore.com/ for more information.

Looks like it is down already :)

Well you can't sign up anyway :)
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like it is down already :)

Well you can't sign up anyway :)

I am not surprised - I wonder how many people are trying to register?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I loved the books and the movies. Bit cynical about Pottermore. Haven't managed to sign up yet, but I will do once the manic registering has died down.

I wrote a short blog post about Pottermore, and my cynicism towards it, if anyone is at all interested. :o
    Forum Member
    IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    I loved the books and the movies. Bit cynical about Pottermore. Haven't managed to sign up yet, but I will do once the manic registering has died down.

I wrote a short blog post about Pottermore, and my cynicism towards it, if anyone is at all interested. :o

bit early to be cynical isn't it. It has only been announced 2 hours ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    bit early to be cynical isn't it. It has only been announced 2 hours ago.

Probably. :D I'm hopeful that Pottermore can make me eat my words when it properly launches. :cool:
    Forum Member
    IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    Probably. :D I'm hopeful that Pottermore can make me eat my words when it properly launches. :cool:

The site seems to be made for those die-hard fans that love all the books, you however only liked the first three and found the rest to be a chore and not even read the last one. So maybe the site is not going to be something you are going to love :)
  • U + Ur HandU + Ur Hand Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've tried registering at Pottermore but it just keeps buffering, I'll wait a couple of days and then try again.