Aerials and strong winds

IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
Forum Member
Is there such a beast as an aerial that is far less prone to problems in strong winds? (ie less prone to being battered about too much/blown off!).

I live in a a fairly elevated, exposed area that gets a fair amount of strong winds and gales - I've always had a loft aerial, but of course the signal reception isn't great for Freeview (BBC1 and BBC2 are currently unwatchable (sometimes they are okay-ish), although the rest of the channels are fine, as is BBC HD)).

I was wondering if an external aerial would enhance the signal a lot.

Strange that only BBC1 and BBC2 are affected though.

Comments

• Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that strange - is it an old analogue aerial? If so it possibly isn't suitable for the Digital Channels used by some stations.

However, any external aerial erected by a reputable company will withstand most of the winds we get in this country (the exceptional hurricane excepted).
  • Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My house although not too elevated is in an exposed position so I have my aerial (and dish) mounted on the side of the house. The aerial is 2m above ground level and mounded on a pole with two chunky brackets on the wall.
    The ground drops away in front of the house so the nearest obstruction in the direction of the tx - a bloody big oak tree - is about 50m away. The signal strength/quality are the same as when it was mounted in the loft (single storey cottage).
    If you have the space at the right side of the house it would be worth considering.

BTW, Bandspread199, there is no such thing as an old analogue aerial, just an old aerial...lol
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I must be quite lucky. I've got an old indoor aerial from about ten years ago. It still gives me perfect reception on my freeview PVR on ALL channels. I live in Scarborough (maybe it's high up on the hills, which might help :confused:)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a good look at the antenna to see if it looks flimsy. Check if anything will move or rattle, if it does then it will work loose in severe wind.

Even professional antenna on towers sometimes fail but most survive winds far stronger than will experienced on most rooftops.

Make sure all the cables are well strapped down, it's amazing the number of times you see the whole length of the cable flapping around in the wind!
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Also watch out for the cables themselves. We had problems in the wind and rain, it turned out that it wasn't the aeriel, it was the cable, it literally crumbled away in a family member's hand when it was checked!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Also watch out for the cables themselves. We had problems in the wind and rain, it turned out that it wasn't the aeriel, it was the cable, it literally crumbled away in a family member's hand when it was checked!

UV light can affect the cable (even in Britain!), the tape used to protect connections is also affected by UV.