Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louisa's brown handbag has been prominently advertised in Appleseeds (US) for over a year. It's described as woven leather hobo available in brown or black $95.95 plus shipping and further goes on that it is genuine leather in a supple weave that gets richer with wear - yes, like through 5 series of Doc Martin!
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but is that Morwenna (Jessica Ransom) in the new Sky Broadband advert with Bruce Willis?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    Louisa's brown handbag has been prominently advertised in Appleseeds (US) for over a year. It's described as woven leather hobo available in brown or black $95.95 plus shipping and further goes on that it is genuine leather in a supple weave that gets richer with wear - yes, like through 5 series of Doc Martin!

Hi Marchrand,
    Louisa's handbag may be from Appleseeds, but I think it's a Bottega Veneta which is a very expensive brand. Look for it at www.bottegaveneta.com. The style is called Ebano Intrecciato Nappa maxi veneta.:)
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    Hi Marchrand,
    Louisa's handbag may be from Appleseeds, but I think it's a Bottega Veneta which is a very expensive brand. Look for it at www.bottegaveneta.com. The style is called Ebano Intrecciato Nappa maxi veneta.:)

I agree, I think it is a Bottega Veneta bag. I think Caroline Catz is often wearing very fine clothing in the show. They don't scream designer, or necessarily read as designer to the audience. They fit her exquistly and the fabrics look great under the camera. That just doesn't happen with inexpensive clothing, even when altered for the actor or actress.

Although, I must say again that I didn't like the way she was dressed for much of series 5. The fabrics were lovely, and the outfits fit the way they were supposed to, but I like her in outfits that flatter her figure better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Although, I must say again that I didn't like the way she was dressed for much of series 5. The fabrics were lovely, and the outfits fit the way they were supposed to, but I like her in outfits that flatter her figure better.

I think the series 5 clothes are less flattering to Louisa. I do like that she wears the same outfits over the course of the episodes as that is realistic for a teacher.

But I do think that Doc's clothes look more expensive, much like Edith's did as well. I assume both doctors had more disposable income. I don't remember what kind of car Louisa drives, but is it a Lexus like the Doc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portwenn59 wrote: »
    Hi Marchrand,

You and dcdmfan are probably right, but $2,700., :eek:, just what is a Portwenn primary school teacher's salary anyway! My question is are there shops in UK? The handbag I referred to measures 14" x 7 1/2" X 1". The Bottega Veneta handbag looks deeper. My favorite Louisa clothes are in Series 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    I think the series 5 clothes are less flattering to Louisa. I do like that she wears the same outfits over the course of the episodes as that is realistic for a teacher.

But I do think that Doc's clothes look more expensive, much like Edith's did as well. I assume both doctors had more disposable income. I don't remember what kind of car Louisa drives, but is it a Lexus like the Doc?

No, she drove a small Ford. Looks like a Focus before the redesign. Something like that. It came complete with onions and apples.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think that Martin's suits are supposed to be tailor-made for him? He take great pride in his appearance.

Yes, I've always assumed so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    TRIVIA QUESTION For S1E2:

Name the item in the episode which was an indirect reference to the multiple talents of Patrick Macnee?

(Patrick Macnee, my all time favorite actor, is best known for being John Steed of The Avengers.)

I need to pay more attention to details, obviously. I saw Roger's paperback over and over, but it was just tonight, when I rewatched the scenes looking for whatever you had spotted that I noticed that once, and only once, we saw the front cover. It's a Jack Higgins book. Which we know Patrick Macnee read/narrated for books on tape (or CD, or whatever).
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    You and dcdmfan are probably right, but $2,700., :eek:, just what is a Portwenn primary school teacher's salary anyway! My question is are there shops in UK? The handbag I referred to measures 14" x 7 1/2" X 1". The Bottega Veneta handbag looks deeper. My favorite Louisa clothes are in Series 3.

It may be product placement. Like the Lexus. I actually have a Bottega Veneta handbag. My boss gave it to me, it was his mother's. Anyway, I get a lot of compliments on it, some people recognize that it's not a knock off, some just really like it. So I guess product placement works on some people. That brand is famous for the woven leather. We're discussing it, so other people who watch the show probably notice it, too. On camera it looks very plain and practical to me. Maybe we're supposed to think that it's a knock off that she bought on the street from those guys who sell purses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering how they will handle money (she doesn't want to be a kept woman). But her clothing budget is a lot less than his :)

I wonder if money will be a bone of contention in S6. Assuming there's a wedding, I figure Doc will want to buy her a Lexus of her own and she'll counter that she'll do just fine with a cheaper car she can afford on her own salary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "As Good as it Gets." There is one line in that movie when Melvin and Carol are at the restaurant in Baltimore where Carol says something like: "I'm so afraid of what you're going to say right now. Just open your mouth and try not to spoil it --by being you." Melvin tells her that such cynicism doesn't suit her, it's not her style. I think that exactly applies to Louisa. She assumes the worst (is cynical) as a way of protecting herself from disappointment, but it doesn't really suit her. Her generosity of spirit inclines her much more toward "hoping all things, believing all things."

Finally, mmDerdekea and Biffpup can have Martin's close cropped silver hair. I confess I get a little weak-kneed at the sight of Penhale, especially sans shirt. "In Perish Together as Fools" Penhale strips to the waist so that he can have some blood taken (?!) -- totally gratuitous. (Ta, Ben!) And afterwards THE DOC gets a hug from him, still shirtless (why not me?) Then there's Penhale in the shower and that hot scene with Maggie from S5 -- a "not well-formed" character, indeed, bookfan; I beg to differ! Actually I see what you mean, but please don't kick him off the show just because he's a nit-wit. He fulfills...other important functions!:o

Poorrichard, yes, that scene in "As Good As It Gets" could certainly apply to DM and LG. Maybe they need a nice road trip in a convertible.

And thank you for differing on the close cropped silver hair on DM and our friend Joe Penhale. That means one less rabid female in line for MC/DM in Port Isaac. You go for the cop and we'll go for the Doc. I'm first in line, by the way.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I need to pay more attention to details, obviously. I saw Roger's paperback over and over, but it was just tonight, when I rewatched the scenes looking for whatever you had spotted that I noticed that once, and only once, we saw the front cover. It's a Jack Higgins book. Which we know Patrick Macnee read/narrated for books on tape (or CD, or whatever).

Thanks for spotting that. I would never have gotten it. I knew I hadn't seen any bowler hats or umbrellas!
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »

Correct Answer! Well done!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Correct Answer! Well done!

In the Hitchcock movie North by Northwest, the girl is in her train compartment and the cops come in looking for her dinner companion (Cary Grant) who is hiding in the berth. The book is HG Wells' "The Invisible Man."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Thanks for spotting that. I would never have gotten it. I knew I hadn't seen any bowler hats or umbrellas!

Sounds like you're a bit of an Avengers fan too, New Park. Cool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    In the Hitchcock movie North by Northwest, the girl is in her train compartment and the cops come in looking for her dinner companion (Cary Grant) who is hiding in the berth. The book is HG Wells' "The Invisible Man."

Really? Hitchcock was brilliant, wasn't he, and he loved little jokes. Next time I watch that movie (it's been years) I'll watch for that. Thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does MC have a manager, secretary, assistant, dressers, handlers, etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first two episodes of this last night. Reggie Perrin will certainly never replace Doc Martin in my esteem, but it was surprisingly interesting.

First, there is a studio audience. I think MC plays to it a bit.
    Second, Reggie's suits hang on him quite differently than Doc Martin's do. Someone once said that DM's suits are tailored a size too small, to give him a more "constricted" look, and now I see what they mean.

Third, there was actually a scene, in the second episode, of Reggie Perrin sitting around in his y-fronts -- complete I think with a beard and wildly disheveled hair. Maybe I imagined the beard.

It's actually a rather odd show, with some very sharp dialogue in the first two episodes. Always slipping in and out of imaginary scenes, something like Walter Mitty (an old story by James Thurber).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does MC have a manager, secretary, assistant, dressers, handlers, etc?

Last summer, someone who attended Buckham Fair referred to his personal assistant who seems to have been with him. Sort of like the "body man" who we are told accompanies some politicians -- to see to their more mundane day to day needs. I think he may also have a driver (or maybe that's the personal assistant). He has an agent who must help round up roles for him, but I imagine that Phillipa is his manager.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first two episodes of this last night. Reggie Perrin will certainly never replace Doc Martin in my esteem, but it was surprisingly interesting.

Second, Reggie's suits hang on him quite differently than Doc Martin's do. Someone once said that DM's suits are tailored a size too small, to give him a more "constricted" look, and now I see what they mean.

Third, there was actually a scene, in the second episode, of Reggie Perrin sitting around in his y-fronts -- complete I think with a beard and wildly disheveled hair. Maybe I imagined the beard.

It's actually a rather odd show, with some very sharp dialogue in the first two episodes. Always slipping in and out of imaginary scenes, something like Walter Mitty (an old story by James Thurber).

That's interesting, NewPark. I don't see DM's suits as a size too small. His trousers are amazingly baggy, almost a size too large, to me. His shirt and jacket seem to fit quite normally.

I enjoyed Reggie Perrin a lot, myself, although the imaginary scenes, with their theme that someone is violently attacked, did get old.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    That's interesting, NewPark. I don't see DM's suits as a size too small. His trousers are amazingly baggy, almost a size too large, to me. His shirt and jacket seem to fit quite normally.

I enjoyed Reggie Perrin a lot, myself, although the imaginary scenes, with their theme that someone is violently attacked, did get old.

I just don't know about the fitting of the suits, Mona. All I can say is that they seemed to somehow hang differently in RP. I don't know what that's about. Maybe they're differently tailored? Someone with more expertise than I in men's tailoring will have to weigh in.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I loved Reggie Perrin! It was a really fun show to watch. Too bad they only made 2 series.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but is that Morwenna (Jessica Ransom) in the new Sky Broadband advert with Bruce Willis?

Yes.

No mistaking those big round brown eyes

Jessica was also in The Farmer's Market sketch from The Armstrong & Miller Show on UK TV - is that up on Youtube ?

Alexander Armstrong played the amorous neighbour in Reggie Perrin...so mis-cast, such a waste, he would have made the perfect ' CJ ' - Reggie's boss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just don't know about the fitting of the suits, Mona. All I can say is that they seemed to somehow hang differently in RP. I don't know what that's about. Maybe they're differently tailored? Someone with more expertise than I in men's tailoring will have to weigh in.

NewPark - the suits MC wears in RP look as though they came from JC Penney or the equivalent in UK. The suits in DM look custom made - possibly a Savile Row or better. The navy suits especially appear to be made of expensive fabric, never showing a wrinkle. I have to agree with you, they are tailored to closer to his body. Many years ago in my 20's I took a course in tailoring, and you would be surprised at all the construction beneath a good suit to make it hang right and flatter the wearer.

On another note, whatever happened to AJ's truck? AR doesn't need it as she has a car-- surprised she didn't offer it to Al. We are talking about a vehicle for LG-- I don't know about that truck with a carseat next to her. I personally think she would look adorable in a Volkswagen Beatle, but of course, DM would not hear of it. What about a Volkswagen Passat?
This discussion has been closed.