Options

ITV gearing up for autumn rebrand

Comments

• Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    captham wrote: »
    No, ITV used to be run by booking agents and showmen like Lew Grade.

I admire the optimism of anyone contacting ITV direct and expecting anything other than a smug defensive corporate marketing message. Expecting senior decision makers to read the large number of viewer letters is like expecting an MP to read each and every voters letter and have their eye settle on the one diamond among all the dross.

I don't *expect* any more of that, but when they say, "Please don't hesitate to ask us any more questions!", then I'll bite and challenge them on that...
    I remember Jack Doherty on his nightly talk show used to bash the '5' DOG with a stick & make jokes about it.:D

Ah, that explains why he was quickly got rid of.
    DaveBTCC wrote: »
    I love the fact that the DOG is more worthy of discussion than any of the actual programmes - just about sums up ITV!

Well, it is the first one they've had nationally in over 57 years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else think the desk is a bit low in the new ITV news studio. Its more like a coffee table!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    ink171 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the desk is a bit low in the new ITV news studio. Its more like a coffee table!

The Lunchtime news comes from the London Tonight side of the studio so uses the coffee table. The main studio has a higher desk
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice today that the DOGs have been moved slightly away from the corner, particularly noticeable on CITV. They may be slightly larger, maybe someone could do a comparison. Is this the start of the slippery slope?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    I notice today that the DOGs have been moved slightly away from the corner, particularly noticeable on CITV. They may be slightly larger, maybe someone could do a comparison. Is this the start of the slippery slope?

ITV HD is still slightly less visible, and is closer to the left-hand side of the screen.

And yes, this is the start of the slippery slope, so blame all those sit-on-the-fencers who claimed they didn't mind it. Well done(!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just emailed them (firstly addressing the fact that the marketing team don't enter into individual dialogues about their decisions):

"Dear ITV,

That's very convenient that they don't want to be accountable for their actions(!)

I now have a new question - why, on ITV (in SD) at least, has the DOG been made more opaque and moved in from the side? Is it for those viewers that you deemed so stupid they can't find your channel after 57 years, even with the EPG?

And how is it going to end up? Animated? Coloured? Where will it end? How far does the level of stupidity go to at the ITV Marketing Team?

Yours Sincerely,

Dom Robinson"
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed last night they had moved the DOGs in a bit from the screen.

ITV and ITV 2 are in their own positions, slightly closer to the edge than ITV 3, ITV 4, CITV and the +1 channels. The DOG's also seem more transparent on the +1 channels, but more opaque on ITV 2/3/4.

Why couldn't they have left them where they were, and at the same transparency and screen position as ITV's? :(
  • Options
    djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I now have a new question - why, on ITV (in SD) at least, has the DOG been made more opaque and moved in from the side?

Sorry, but if I was ITV, I probably wouldn't pay any attention to your email. Anyone who uses the term 'DOG' is clearly not your average viewer, and the email would be put in the box marked 'television presentation enthusiast'.
    Everyday viewers just wouldn't know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djgeeza wrote: »
    Anyone who uses the term 'DOG' is clearly not your average viewer, and the email would be put in the box marked 'television presentation enthusiast'.
    That's actually a good point, much better not to use that term in any communications. What would the average person call it? A continuous on-screen logo?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would the average person call it? A continuous on-screen logo?

The average person almost certainly wouldn't complain. I don't think the DOG/on screen logo will be going anywhere, as it's really only a handful of people on this forum who will complain, a tiny fraction of ITV's overall audience.

For those interested in other aspects of the rebrand and how the logo came to be, take a look at http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/follow-up_itv.php
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting: no top left hand corner of the screen DOG on the last hour of programming - regional and national news from ITN - but hey, guess what came on during the opening credits of Emmerdale just now?

Got it in one.
  • Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    That's interesting: no top left hand corner of the screen DOG on the last hour of programming - regional and national news from ITN - but hey, guess what came on during the opening credits of Emmerdale just now?

Got it in one.

Although I haven't really been watching myself, the itv DOG is, so I gather, not transmitted during the National and Regional itv News bulletins.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My solution to all things ITV is not to watch all things ITV.

This does appear to be a popular solution, judging from ITVs non-soap ratings.

If ITV wish to become the biggest third-rate network in the UK then I'm all right with that, I suspect the BBC are quite pleased too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    That's actually a good point, much better not to use that term in any communications. What would the average person call it? A continuous on-screen logo?

They would probably just say "logo" or "badge" or something to that effect. Maybe "watermark" or, less likely but possible, "bug".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The average person almost certainly wouldn't complain. I don't think the DOG/on screen logo will be going anywhere, as it's really only a handful of people on this forum who will complain, a tiny fraction of ITV's overall audience.
    You are almost certainly correct. The subtle change to the DOG today has made it much more intrusive, as I said before, I think I could actually have lived with the original one, now I'm not so sure and it is likely to further reduce my viewing of ITV. And to Sue_Aitch, no the new DOG has never been present during the news - or if it has, not while I've been watching it.

Edit: I've emailed ITV Viewer Services about the change, without mentioning the DOG word!

Further edit: ITV HD DOG is now markedly nearer the corner of the screen than on SD, I don't think the HD DOG has been moved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djgeeza wrote: »
    Sorry, but if I was ITV, I probably wouldn't pay any attention to your email. Anyone who uses the term 'DOG' is clearly not your average viewer, and the email would be put in the box marked 'television presentation enthusiast'.

I've been criticised for many things over the years, but never for being factually accurate!

Oh, and they have replied before, albeit with their standard reply.
    Tassium wrote: »
    My solution to all things ITV is not to watch all things ITV.

That's mostly what I do. I only watch Take Me Out (as it's a laugh) and Great Night Out (because I know the area). On both occasions, it's on ITV HD so I can't avoid a DOG, even though I can see with my own eyes that it's not an SD image.
    Edit: I've emailed ITV Viewer Services about the change, without mentioning the DOG word!

Why not? That's what it is!
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to hear Ken Bruce on his Radio 2 show today compl aining about the new ITV dog. Basically said there is absolutely no need for Audrey's (in Corrie) hair to have a DOG in it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robot wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Ken Bruce on his Radio 2 show today compl aining about the new ITV dog. Basically said there is absolutely no need for Audrey's (in Corrie) hair to have a DOG in it!

Do you know roughly what time it happened? I'll check it out on the Iplayer.
  • Options
    robotrobot Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Do you know roughly what time it happened? I'll check it out on the Iplayer.

Think it was in the last 20 minutes of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robot wrote: »
    Think it was in the last 20 minutes of the show.

Ta. I can't link to the precise second (as I can on the TV Iplayer) or even any particular part of the show, but it's at 2:20:50.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01q8ptc

Sadly, the dimwitted woman who appears with him seems to agree with it. I don't hear calls from her for a background chant of "Radio 2, Radio 2, Radio 2, Radio 2...." behind Ken Bruce or her while they're talking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FWIW, the reply to my email about the changed DOG:
    Dear Kevin,

Thank you for your recent email regarding the introduction of a Digital On Screen Graphic on ITV.

I can confirm that your comments have been noted here at ITV Viewer Services, and please be assured that our Marketing team has been made aware of your views.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to contact us here with your feedback.

Kind regards

Sue

ITV Viewer Services

I can't remember whether this is word for word the same as everyone else's. I wasn't actually complaining about its introduction, but the recent change to its position and intensity.
  • Options
    Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    ITV's new idents are so boring. They're just so random and the music sends me to sleep as well. I only like the pug one because it's the only one with upbeat music!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't remember whether this is word for word the same as everyone else's. I wasn't actually complaining about its introduction, but the recent change to its position and intensity.

My reply about the changed DOG was:

"Dear Dom

Thank you for your further email regarding DOGs on ITV.

The Marketing team made a very slight adjustment to the DOG earlier this week.

Please be assured that they are aware of your further views.

May I take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to contact ITV Viewer Services.

Kind regards

Derek

ITV Viewer Services"
  • Options
    Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What? So next you will be expecting them to actually answer the question you put to them? :D

The reply really sounds like a F**k You! As in we won't answer the question you put and just say that it's been noted.
  • Options
    4-Tel4-Tel Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just heard one of the 'old' male continuity voices - has he had a reprieve or did he actually escape the axe? I thought bringing in a whole slate of new voices as part of a rebrand (especially when the content and the target audience is the same) was taking things way too far anyway.